The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

stevenfr

My plans include the following. How about you?

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work, image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

Stay safe and healthy.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work, image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

I am also signed up to do some webinars for Phase One. Mostly talking about my work, with questions at the end.

And believe it or not printing for orders. I have a big one to do tomorrow.

Stay safe and healthy.
I am going to rest, enjoy time with my wife, bake, setup an area in the garage to shoot some still life photos, play with my dog. There are also a couple of online courses I am interested in, one in Gothic Cathedrals looks great! I am also going to go through old hard drives and consolidate / throw away old stuff and see what hidden gems I run into.

I may also work on some freelance projects here at home related to my main work. I still have to go to the office tomorrow and shut everything down and grab a couple things.

drevil

Staff member
also trying to continue to work on my book/exhibition about my great wall of china photography, this has been on ice for too long

unfortunately doom eternal was released yesterday.....priorities

darr

My boyfriend and I had a trip planned and now that is off the calendar. :cry:
I have a bunch of writing to do, so the photography will cool down for a little bit and the writing will begin.

Wishing everyone the best,
Darr

pegelli

Here in Belgium there's not a full curfew but mobility is severely restricted. Cars are only to be used for "essential" trips, like to work, to the docter, shopping etc. but no large trips for leisure (and the police is out on the road checking cars). You're still allowed out of the house on foot ot bicycle as long as you're not in groups of more than 2 and keep 1,5 meter distance from each other.

So for me it's a combination of staying inside, viewing photo's, trawling through my catalogs to find stuff I passed over and still going out on my bicycle in the neighbourhood to get fresh air and do some photography. In addition there's enough small jobs around the house and garden that can keep us busy, so no worries to get bored.

I suspect our planned trip to Newfoundland late may/early june will get cancelled, but in the grand scheme of things I consider that only a minor nuicance. There'will be opportunities at a later time to catch up.

I hope everybody stays healthy and follows the instructions to curb the virus, I think we're obliged to do that to protect the elderly and people with health problems for which the virus can be deadly.

Qamaro

Well I work out of the home office / telepresence so its business as usual for me. But, since I can't go out on my down time, I have taken to developing all the rolls and sheets of film, I have neglected to dev or send out for the past 1.5 years

I'm also making sure I get more family time in than I already do as well as catching up on a few shows. :thumbup:

MrSmith

All upcoming shoots have been cancelled, the 2 filming jobs that were booked (flights/hotels etc) have been postponed indefinitely.
I’m sat at home on a retouch job that should finish next Wednesday, then nothing.....

i’ll spend the time getting fit and learning some new skills like 3D in photoshop and maybe look at trying resolve instead of just knowing final cut.
My partner is a freelance art director and has no work for lined up (currently self isolating after coming into contact with a CV case)

can probably pay the mortgage and live on baked beans for a year but then who knows?? and that just leaves no money to fund new jobs when work starts to come back. i’m not buying any new equipment at all!

lots of friends in the media/film/TV industry are in the same boat, being freelance means no support and no protection :thumbdown:

pegelli

lots of friends in the media/film/TV industry are in the same boat, being freelance means no support and no protection :thumbdown:
That's indeed a lousy situation, and you can extend it to the whole cultural sector. Our youngest is a free lance dancer and choreographer and is fully out of income. Fortunately I have a monthly pension that can feed an extra mouth and pay for her studio rent but not everybody can count on a support system like that. And after the crisis is over the cultural sector is probably not te highest priority for supporting a fast restart.

MrSmith

That's indeed a lousy situation, and you can extend it to the whole cultural sector. Our youngest is a free lance dancer and choreographer and is fully out of income. Fortunately I have a monthly pension that can feed an extra mouth and pay for her studio rent but not everybody can count on a support system like that. And after the crisis is over the cultural sector is probably not te highest priority for supporting a fast restart.
unfortunately the arts are last in line, though when this is over people are going to want to go and enjoy theatre/dance/cinema etc to escape for a bit.
a friend of mine is in the brass section of a leading U.K. orchestra and he is lucky in that he is salaried which is rare in the U.K. he knows lots of people booked to tour that are freelance and the force majeure clause means they now earn nothing.

i don’t think any sector will be immune to this except perhaps insolvency and pharmaceuticals!

tcdeveau

So far it's business as usual for me. I work for a law firm and write/prosecute patents....the USPTO hasn't shut down so there are still deadlines to meet. I have transitioned to working from home, which has been interesting and not at all seamless, but I'm glad I didn't sell my second computer monitor like I had planned. Have had my busiest month in quite some time, which has frustrated my wife, but good in the long run in case work starts to slow or halt :thumbup:

I'm also in law school part time, and my classes have been cancelled next week, and we are transitioning to online learning for the rest of the semester. We'll see how that plays out, but this whole online/remote thing with work and school saves me about an hour and a half in the car every day. Gives me almost a full business day back per week. Thankful for that time saving which I'm able to spend with my wife and son. l also won't have to worry about being called on without having done the reading haha. :thumbup:

Being at home all day with my wife and toddler has been....interesting. My son has been sick with some respiratory somethingarother that required a doctors visit earlier in the week. It's not "the virus" but he of course managed to pass it to both my wife and I, and we've been sick all week which hasn't been fun. We've still been self-quarantining out of precaution though. He just learned how to climb, which is a very interesting development right before a quarantine. It's been stressful, but we will adapt, and am thankful that I have more time to spend with them. No free time or energy really to spend on anything productive, but I'll enjoy reading about what you all are going.

In a way this whole thing has allowed life to slow down a little which I've been appreciative of. It's been somewhat of a blessing for me as I was about at my breaking point with stress trying to balance work, school, and family. That said, I do hope it fizzles out sooner rather than later and we can get back to regularly scheduled programming.

In other news, Ken shared on FB the other day an article that suggests heat and humidity may slow transmission of the virus.....I guess that bodes well for those of us in the inferno? :ROTFL:

Stay safe everyone!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Working harder than ever, trying to get some extra orders in for my employer (industrial firm) before everybody goes into "Corona Modus". 220 people need their salaries every month.

If it becomes impossible to work, I'll learn DaVinci Resolve. I have an ongoing video project, and want to get away from Premiere Pro. Then there's my 7 year old daughter who stays indoor now and needs/wants some attention. Then there's making food. Then there's some macro photography that I've been postponing for a while. Then...

I would be able to keep myself going for a couple of decades at least :p

DougDolde

Plan to do more shooting in Joshua Tree National Park which is only 20 minutes from where I live. Too damn cold right now though

Godfrey

I'm retired so I will just continue to do what I usually do modulo compliance with Shelter At Home ordinances and Social Distancing requirements. I have tons of projects to work on around the house, can make new photographs on my walks and exercise cycle rides, do my home workouts, etc. There are no open cafes and restaurants, and there's little need to travel anywhere other than the grocery store or the doctor's office for my regularly scheduled needs.

The fact that I pushed hard to get a replacement bicycle built after mine was stolen has proven to be a boon. Cycling is my favorite cardio workout and a pleasure in and of itself; it also proves to be a near ideal outdoor exercise since you do it by yourself and really don't want to be within six feet of pedestrians or other vehicles anyway. AND the roads are mostly empty. :) Have to thank my friends at the bike shop, who sourced all the parts and put it together for me very swiftly.

We'll get through this mess if we all work together at it. Endure, stay calm, stay healthy and safe!

G

Paratom

Stay safe and healthy.
My plan is to accept the "rules" in order to safe lifes. And I try to see the positive side to spend much time with my Family. And my plan is to make sure my Company will survive.
Other than that I got a table Tennis table to Keep my Kids in Motion. My Goal is to make sure I have a Chance vs my youngest daughter. And of Course I also will also take some more time for Photography.

Stay safe my Friends!

scho

Not much different from my usual retirement mode life style. Walks in the neighborhood and local parks (with camera of course). Helping my wife with house chores, cooking and grocery shopping. Catching up on printing, framing, and image processing. I may even tackle the dreaded, closet clean-out of old gear and bags that my wife constantly reminds me to get on with. Managed to sneak in a short Caribbean vacation just before the crisis hit, but had to cancel a longer cruise. Hope that the current lock down is lifted when tempting, warm spring breezes beckon and wanderlust sets in.

gurtch

Well, at age 83, I guess I am "the elderly", and we are being strongly advised to stay home. The attached image from a GFX 50R was made from our deck overlooking the bay. We are on a barrier island in southern NJ. Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I combined two images made from our deck, the foreground with a 100-200 mm lens at 200mm f11 ISO 400, and sky with a 32-64mm lens at 64mm f8.
If the weather cooperates I will get out and walk the beach for images (rather deserted this time of year). The bad news is that all our favorite watering holes are closed. My wife and I stocked up on wine, so we will be having "happy hour" at home rather than at the pub with our retired friends. Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
D802 framed.jpg

gurtch

So far it's business as usual for me. I work for a law firm and write/prosecute patents....the USPTO hasn't shut down so there are still deadlines to meet. I have transitioned to working from home, which has been interesting and not at all seamless, but I'm glad I didn't sell my second computer monitor like I had planned. Have had my busiest month in quite some time, which has frustrated my wife, but good in the long run in case work starts to slow or halt :thumbup:

I'm also in law school part time, and my classes have been cancelled next week, and we are transitioning to online learning for the rest of the semester. We'll see how that plays out, but this whole online/remote thing with work and school saves me about an hour and a half in the car every day. Gives me almost a full business day back per week. Thankful for that time saving which I'm able to spend with my wife and son. l also won't have to worry about being called on without having done the reading haha. :thumbup:

Being at home all day with my wife and toddler has been....interesting. My son has been sick with some respiratory somethingarother that required a doctors visit earlier in the week. It's not "the virus" but he of course managed to pass it to both my wife and I, and we've been sick all week which hasn't been fun. We've still been self-quarantining out of precaution though. He just learned how to climb, which is a very interesting development right before a quarantine. It's been stressful, but we will adapt, and am thankful that I have more time to spend with them. No free time or energy really to spend on anything productive, but I'll enjoy reading about what you all are going.

In a way this whole thing has allowed life to slow down a little which I've been appreciative of. It's been somewhat of a blessing for me as I was about at my breaking point with stress trying to balance work, school, and family. That said, I do hope it fizzles out sooner rather than later and we can get back to regularly scheduled programming.

In other news, Ken shared on FB the other day an article that suggests heat and humidity may slow transmission of the virus.....I guess that bodes well for those of us in the inferno? :ROTFL:

Stay safe everyone!
I know how you feel. I am 83 and retired, but from 1962 to 1974, I worked full time, had a family (3 kids) and earned a BS in mechanical engineering from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA (8 years at night school), and an MS in Engineering Management, also from Drexel (4 years of night school). Hang in there.....it was worth it. At our ages we have a home mortgage, but we have financed 7 college degrees, and no one has a student loan.
Dave in NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS

JohnBrew

My wife and I are trying to stay indoors and away from people as much as possible. It’s very hard. I live in a rural gated golfing community so playing golf is a real tension reliever. And it’s one of the few pastimes which hasn’t been curtailed. I like to walk, but when I have to use a cart the courses out here are restricting all carts to one person and they receive a thorough wipe down between users. While I’m not in Gurtch’s age group I am over 70.
A very real problem for me is that I am scheduled for prostate surgery Wednesday and as of this moment things are a go but who knows what will happen between now and then? They told me it all depends on how many beds are available as I will have to stay two nights. And I don’t want to go to the hospital only to fall ill with something more fatal! This entire situation we all find ourselves in is quite surreal.
All the best to my friends here at getDPI and please stay safe.

tcdeveau

I know how you feel. I am 83 and retired, but from 1962 to 1974, I worked full time, had a family (3 kids) and earned a BS in mechanical engineering from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA (8 years at night school), and an MS in Engineering Management, also from Drexel (4 years of night school). Hang in there.....it was worth it. At our ages we have a home mortgage, but we have financed 7 college degrees, and no one has a student loan.
Dave in NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS
Thanks for the encouragement, Dave! I’m about 1/4 of the way done with school and it should get easier from here on out. Just gotta hang in there, keep swimming, and make it through this semester, and it’ll be worth it in the end.