The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

darr

My wife and I are trying to stay indoors and away from people as much as possible. It’s very hard. I live in a rural gated golfing community so playing golf is a real tension reliever. And it’s one of the few pastimes which hasn’t been curtailed. I like to walk, but when I have to use a cart the courses out here are restricting all carts to one person and they receive a thorough wipe down between users. While I’m not in Gurtch’s age group I am over 70.
A very real problem for me is that I am scheduled for prostate surgery Wednesday and as of this moment things are a go but who knows what will happen between now and then? They told me it all depends on how many beds are available as I will have to stay two nights. And I don’t want to go to the hospital only to fall ill with something more fatal! This entire situation we all find ourselves in is quite surreal.
All the best to my friends here at getDPI and please stay safe.
John you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us updated when you can.

Your friend,
Darr

Dustbak

Here in the Netherlands we are mostly staying in home. Schools, bars, etc.. are all closed. Contaminations and deaths are rising by the day. Just hoping we can avoid a scenario like in Italie or what is currently developing in Spain.

It is not just the elderly that get hit by this virus. Over half the people in the ICU’s are below 50 (having said that, some of the elderly aren’t even send to the ICU anymore).

Hoping the virus will slow down spreading when it gets warmer and vaccins and medicins will be available soon.

Everyone stay safe, stay in as much as possible.

GMB

We were ready to head off next week with our camper truck to Russia, the Stans, and Mongolia for six months. Obviously, everything cancelled and we are now stuck in in our house in Brussels. No idea when we can travel again.

Still, we were lucky that the crisis did not start a few month later as we would then be stuck somewhere far away in a country with a poor health system. This would have been much worse. Several travelers are facing that situation now. They cannot drive back and if they fly back they need to find a place to park their vehicles safely.

Of course, we are disappointed that our trip, which we had planned for several months, will not take place for the foreseeable future. But this is what I would call a luxury problem (i.e., no problem). I really feel sorry for the many people, in particular free lancer and small enterprises, who form one day to the next are without income, or those who lose a job or have to fight for the survival of their companies. I hope governments are willing and able to help them quickly and decisively.

I was looking forward to the photo opportunities the trip would have provided. In order to compensate for that, I started posting a daily travel photo on FB, picked randomly from shots taken over the past 40 years.

The lock down in Belgium is not too bad. You can leave the house not only for work, grocery shopping, doctor etc. but also for walks, as long as you are only with members of your own household and do not approach others. I hope that people abide by these rules and that, therefore, the government does not impose stricter rules. Importantly, wine stores in Belgium fall under the category of grocery stores!

May everyone stay healthy! Hopefully, this thing will be over in a few months.

anyone

Here in Germany, life has paused like everywhere else. No nation-wide restrictions in place yet, but they might come in the forthcoming days. When I yesterday went for a walk, I had a short encounter with a guy who was quite ignorant of the situation, but I guess he is part of a minority. The streets are empty.

For me, my employer sent us to home office, so now I have time to get that drum scanner working again, develop some film, and also to get more acquainted with my new IQ1 60. For the purpose, I also got a S-Planar 135mm lens for macro work, but unfortunately, it jammed my camera system yesterday. I could resolve it, but need to send the lens+bellows unit for repair. Pity, because I feel now is the best time for macro work :)

danord

My plans include the following. How about you?

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work, image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

Stay safe and healthy.
Really looking forward to get my hands on this book!
As a hospital doctor, I guess my plans for the next few weeks/months are pretty busy.....

Stay calm, keep a distance and wash your hands!

All the best,
danord

darr

Here in Germany, life has paused like everywhere else. No nation-wide restrictions in place yet, but they might come in the forthcoming days. When I yesterday went for a walk, I had a short encounter with a guy who was quite ignorant of the situation, but I guess he is part of a minority. The streets are empty.

For me, my employer sent us to home office, so now I have time to get that drum scanner working again, develop some film, and also to get more acquainted with my new IQ1 60. For the purpose, I also got a S-Planar 135mm lens for macro work, but unfortunately, it jammed my camera system yesterday. I could resolve it, but need to send the lens+bellows unit for repair. Pity, because I feel now is the best time for macro work :)
I too have a 135mm jammed on its bellows unit! It has been sitting in the gear closet broken for over a year. With my Linhof currently out on a costly repair, I just have to make due with my 120 CFi. Nice to hear you have a new friend to get acquainted with, the IQ1 60. :)

Kind regards and wishing you good health,
Darr

darr

Really looking forward to get my hands on this book!
As a hospital doctor, I guess my plans for the next few weeks/months are pretty busy.....

Stay calm, keep a distance and wash your hands!

All the best,
danord
You are a saint!

Much appreciation and gratitude,
Darr

danlindberg

I have just experienced a complete lockdown in Spain. I have had two flights cancelled truing to get back to Sweden. Third time lucky yesterday as Norwegian Air are sending down rescue flights (empty) to get as many scandinavians as possible back before the shut down airspace as well. Scary stuff. We have military and police on the streets. One person is allowed to go out and get food or medicine, thats it!! You cannot walk your dog, only open the door and circle the closest tree until business is done. People get fined heavliy if police find you 150 metres from your door! It's like a ghosttown and warzone at the same time.
If I hadn't been able to go with this flight yesterday, I most probably would have been stuck alone for 5-6 weeks.
But, I am now home in south of Sweden as of late yesterday evening with my family. This feels very very good. However, coming from Spain I have an automatic curfew of two whole weeks in my house. But this is fine, if I stay healthy then I have plenty to do, so no harm there...
Stay safe everyone, this is going to effect the whole globe!

Pelorus

When you are at sea in a small boat and bad weather is coming there is a sense of dread anticipation. You know it will be bad but it's not bad yet. That is what it feels like here.

My wife has very vulnerable lungs due to radiation damage so she has been working from home for 2 weeks now. We try to avoid going out because of the risk to her from any infection.

I am using the time to do more study of Japanese and to learn ever-more kanji - the "Chinese characters" used in Japan. That is a lifetime of work so it's well suited to this situation!!

We have just finished building and planting a tiny garden in our 4 by 4 metre back yard. Part of that garden is a small shed with a roof garden of hardy, flowering Australian natives. For some reason its rapid growth gives me great joy. I put a small ladder out and go and look at it twice or three times a day...decidedly odd but decidedly satisfying.

My thoughts are with all of the community here. This will be a very difficult and demanding time.

Mexecutioner

I have just experienced a complete lockdown in Spain. I have had two flights cancelled truing to get back to Sweden. Third time lucky yesterday as Norwegian Air are sending down rescue flights (empty) to get as many scandinavians as possible back before the shut down airspace as well. Scary stuff. We have military and police on the streets. One person is allowed to go out and get food or medicine, thats it!! You cannot walk your dog, only open the door and circle the closest tree until business is done. People get fined heavliy if police find you 150 metres from your door! It's like a ghosttown and warzone at the same time.
If I hadn't been able to go with this flight yesterday, I most probably would have been stuck alone for 5-6 weeks.
But, I am now home in south of Sweden as of late yesterday evening with my family. This feels very very good. However, coming from Spain I have an automatic curfew of two whole weeks in my house. But this is fine, if I stay healthy then I have plenty to do, so no harm there...
Stay safe everyone, this is going to effect the whole globe!
Wow, I am glad you were able to get out and reunited with your family.

danlindberg

Wow, I am glad you were able to get out and reunited with your family.
Thanks Mexecutioner - An eyeopener to how vulnerable we can be. And it's only a few weeks ago everything was as usual. I think this is a biggy, there will be a before Corona & after Corona.

Shashin

Thanks Mexecutioner - An eyeopener to how vulnerable we can be. And it's only a few weeks ago everything was as usual. I think this is a biggy, there will be a before Corona & after Corona.
I hope so. We tend to forget over time: Spanish flu, SARS, and H1N1. The policy choices that need to make our systems stronger, better health care systems (especially in the US) and economic systems (universal basic income, for example), are going to have to be explored. I don't think relying on luck is the best policy remedy.

But I am glad you were able to return. That must be a relief. I think this is going to a continuing problem. Personally, if restrictions are lifted, the first thing I will not do is go to a restaurant to celebrate...

LCValla

i am a photographer and I live in Italy in Milano and here the situation is getting worse every day a lot of people are dying for this reason we are all locked in ours houses and there are very severe restriction which do not allow us to go out.
For this reason I am locked in my house since ten days.
I am lucky that my house is also my studio so I have all my equipment (cameras and computers).
In ten days I went out just one time to take pictures of Milano with a special permission and it was like being in an horror movie.
After the first day I decided to use this time in a positive way and for this reason I started a big work of digitalisation of my analogic work (more then 20 years).
I use my Sony A7riv with a 60 micro Nikkor, build a system with an Elinchrome Ranger Quadra as light and I use C1 on my MacBook to check the focus and to control my camera. It is a big work since now I have already don more than 7000 reproduction of my negative film.
In the same time I use my XF camera with the 35 to try to make a conceptual work by taking the same picture of what I see out of my window to try to describe this time in an artistic way.
Every morning I make some phisical exercises to keep my body in health.
All this work helps me to keep my mind a way in such a difficult moment which I am leaving completely alone as my girlfriend leaves in a different city., and it works!

I am sorry I am a bit too long and my English is not perfect!

Lorenzo

Mexecutioner

i am a photographer and I live in Italy in Milano and here the situation is getting worse every day a lot of people are dying for this reason we are all locked in ours houses and there are very severe restriction which do not allow us to go out.
I am lucky that my house is also my studio so I have all my equipment (cameras and computers).
In ten days I went out just one time to take pictures of Milano with a special permission and it was like being in an horror movie.
After the first day I decided to use this time in a positive way and for this reason I started a big work of digitalisation of my analogic work (more then 20 years).
I use my Sony A7riv with a 60 micro Nikkor, build a system with an Elinchrome Ranger Quadra as light and I use C1 on my MacBook to check the focus and to control my camera. It is a big work since now I have already don more than 7000 reproduction of my negative film.
In the same time I use my XF camera with the 35 to try to make a conceptual work by taking the same picture of what I see out of my window to try to describe this time in an artistic way.
All this work helps me to keep my mind a way in such a difficult moment which I am leaving completely alone as my girlfriend leaves in a different city., and it works!

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear about what everyone in your beautiful country is going through. It is great you are making good use of your time, keeping a fit mind and body and having a couple of projects to keep yourself engaged.

Stay strong!

Rodrigo

anyone

Lorenzo
Hi Lorenzo,
I have friends from the same area, I'm in thoughts with you. And now looking forward to seeing a lot of your film images in the "fun with medium format film images" thread!

Dustbak

Lorenzo
I am closely following the news in Italy. Over here we seem to be trailing Italy’s situation by appr. 2 weeks. I am praying people start following the rules of social distancing to prevent the same situation happening over here.

Best of luck to to you, hopefully the peak will pass soon and recovery will begin!

Smoothjazz

Doug,

I was planning to do the same, but happened to notice today that Joshua Tree State Park has closed the access roads. Perhaps it will be possible in a few weeks; I am thinking April now for a weekend trip. I live about 3 hours away from the park.

John

Plan to do more shooting in Joshua Tree National Park which is only 20 minutes from where I live. Too damn cold right now though

DougDolde

Wow they just closed Joshua Tree National Park to vehicles. You can still walk or bike in.
The Covington Flats road is still open. It's a dirt road off Yucca Trail at La Contenta

Hausen

I live in Queenstown NZ, which is normally a tourist town, and which is now largely deserted. We live on a golf course just out of town and rarely head into the township anyway. I work from home by video conference mainly so no drama there. I am going to use this easier to get around time to change my style and practice some long exposure minimal, so watching Michael Kenna and similar YT videos. This is extreme social distancing wandering the mountains and lakes.

Godfrey

In this new world of The Coronavirus Plague and Shelter at Home and Social Distancing ... and all the other issues of the crisis... it is good to return to the world through our photos and seek the beauty that is our world and each other. It's one of the things I focus on as this crisis is battled, to lift spirits and keep motivation to solve the problems—and survive—first and foremost in our consciousness.

We must not forget why we fight lest the battle be lost before it is engaged.

Polaroid SLR670x by MiNT, PO 600 B&W

Photo made on my Day Six isolation ride, March 22, 2020.

I stand at the corner of the memorial to the Japanese American people who suffered a previous horror from the last century, a dedication to their pain and to their endurance that I do not want to forget.

Be well, my friends.

G

In this fateful hour,
All Heaven with its power,
The sun with its brightness,
The snow with its whiteness,
The fire with all the strength it hath,
The lightning with its rapid wrath,
The winds with their swiftness,
The sea with its deepness,
The rocks with their steepness,
The Earth with its starkness,
All these I place
Between myself and the powers of darkness.

- A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine L’Engle​