The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

alajuela

I'm retired so I will just continue to do what I usually do modulo compliance with Shelter At Home ordinances and Social Distancing requirements. I have tons of projects to work on around the house, can make new photographs on my walks and exercise cycle rides, do my home workouts, etc. There are no open cafes and restaurants, and there's little need to travel anywhere other than the grocery store or the doctor's office for my regularly scheduled needs.

The fact that I pushed hard to get a replacement bicycle built after mine was stolen has proven to be a boon. Cycling is my favorite cardio workout and a pleasure in and of itself; it also proves to be a near ideal outdoor exercise since you do it by yourself and really don't want to be within six feet of pedestrians or other vehicles anyway. AND the roads are mostly empty. :) Have to thank my friends at the bike shop, who sourced all the parts and put it together for me very swiftly.

We'll get through this mess if we all work together at it. Endure, stay calm, stay healthy and safe!

G

+1

Giorgio

Catching up with home work.
Upgrading the security system.
Building some shelving in the garage.
Updating my web site.

Thats it, I guess I am not very interesting, certainly not industrious.

pegelli

2 weeks ago I brought my Leica M2 and some lenses to a repair shop for a general CLA, so I thought I'd rest my B&W film project of the anti-tank canal bunkers a few weeks.

However the weather is very nice and we're still allowed to go out on foot or bicycle so I decided to dive in the attic and find my old Olympus OM4T. Last time it got used was on a vacation in 2000. I dusted it off a little, put batteries in it and it seems to work as intended. So this afternoon I'm going to test drive it with a roll of FP4+ and see how it looks. I have plenty zuiko lenses to try out some different things, but I've got to get re-used to the split image and microprism focusing. I hope it will all come back in due time. I'll share some results here after I have filled and developed the first film. :)

Godfrey

Yes, I'm going to test the fit of the new Hasselblad into my bicycle carry camera bag (the Wotancraft Mini-Rider). Presuming it fits comfortably and safely, I might carry it on today's ride.

It's unfortunate that the 907x Special Edition arrived, finally, right in the middle of the kerfuffle caused by my previous bicycle being stolen, the rush to build the replacement bike, and then the "Shelter at Home" orders for the COVID-19 plague. I haven't yet had the energy and motivation to do any real photography with it. By this point in time with other cameras, I've have already made a couple thousand Testing exposures and have started actually using it for photography. :(

Such it is. We'll do as seems apropos and as the situation permits.

G

gurtch

At our age, we have taken the virus recommendations very seriously, but you really get cabin fever. We have taken to getting in our car and going to outdoor spots that are deserted. We started out going to Viking Village. We saw only one person at the normally busy seaport. All boats were in port. I made photos of course. We then went to the Barnegat Light beach. I think the distance from the street end to the ocean must be a half mile at least. Enormous dunes. Again, empty and I made more photos---will show them after I have processed them. Later that week we went to the mainland and the two Dock Roads, and Seven Bridges Road. Again....deserted and more photos which I have not processed yet. Will post when finished. These shots may not be "portfolio Grade", but they keep an 83 year old busy!
D803 framed.jpg

gurtch

Note the title---sign of the times. We are continuing to go to remote spots and photographing where we will have no contact with strangers, crowds, etc. GFX 50R 32-64mm lens at 42 mm, f11 ISO 400.D804 Framed.jpg
Dave in NJ

JohnBrew

Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect ;)
Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
All the best to you all.

dave.gt

Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect ;)
Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
All the best to you all.
John,
Just sent you an email.:)

darr

All the best to you all.
Wonderful to hear John!

Godfrey

Gurtch and JohnBrew: Good on it, keep carrying on as best we can!
Stay well, do the best we can ... that's really all we can do.

I've determined that the 907x fits into my smallest bicycle Camera specific carry bag (Wotancraft Mini-Rider). I may take it on today's isolation ride and see what motivates me. :)

Onwards we go! G

gurtch

All the best to you all.
John: hang in there. I had cataract surgery done on each eye, about 1 1/2 years apart. It is the most successful surgery in the US. If you now wear glasses, chances are you will not need them afterwards. It is painless and "recovery" was wearing taped on goggles when you sleep to avoid accidental eye rubbing. You will be fine and happy. All the best with your recovery from your recent surgery.
Dave in NJ

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

After five weeks in southern Africa, barely managing to escape South Africa before the lockdown, we are now quarantined for two weeks at home. The good news is (a) I have a lot of new files to edit, (b) the wine cellar is well stocked, (c) I can get my income tax done - I have a refund coming.

The bad news is that my wife has a list........

Stay safe, my friends - this will pass.
Bill

stevenfr

Bill

I look forward to seeing your new work.

Steven

After five weeks in southern Africa, barely managing to escape South Africa before the lockdown, we are now quarantined for two weeks at home. The good news is (a) I have a lot of new files to edit, (b) the wine cellar is well stocked, (c) I can get my income tax done - I have a refund coming.

Bill

Mexecutioner

Bill

Sometimes I wave more work to do at home than at the office. I feel your pain...

gurtch

In keeping with the orders to stay isolated (we are 80 and 83 years of age---"the elderly"), we have been going to deserted places to photograph. We went to the mainland to both Dock Rds and 7 Bridges Rd. Here are two images. Both made with a Fuji GFX 50R, 32-64mm lens. Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com
D805 framed.jpg

D806 framed.jpg

Grayhand

Today I was on my first walk at the sea for almost a month.
The impressive distans of 2 km with my X-pro 2 on my shoulder.
Time to celebrate this achivement. And the fact that it now seems that I am now on the other side of the Covid 19 sicknes!

So a recomendation from the "inside" is to avoid this at all cost if you are past 60 years old.
It has not been a fun ride. The only posotive thing about this is that I now should be immune to the virus for some period to come.

It will take maybe one more week to be back to normal.
But then I will have lots of time to walk with my camera

I have some more technical books that I should write, but I think now I will also start with a book dokumenting one of the nature reserves I have been photograping.
The plan is to show a period of one year. I already have most of what I need, except from spring, so in some way this is good timing.

Take care and stay safe!

Ray

Last edited: