The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

gurtch

Another recent shot on our deserted beach. Doing my thing with abstract fences and shadows.... a holdover from my Black and White film days. GFX 50R with 32-64mm lens at 64mm f16 ISO 400. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro, slight blue toner to attempt the look of Kodak Gold (blue) toner of my youth.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com
D808 framed.jpg

rdeloe

David, I really enjoyed your beach with shadows from the fences.

I can still "self-isolate" by heading for the nearby woods. My dog is patient and waits for me to finish working.

Bark and Stone. Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6 on my Fuji GFX 50R.

gurtch

David, I really enjoyed your beach with shadows from the fences.

I can still "self-isolate" by heading for the nearby woods. My dog is patient and waits for me to finish working.

Bark and Stone. Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6 on my Fuji GFX 50R.
And I like "Bark and Stone". My wife and I are "the elderly" ( ages 80 and 83), so we are very careful. We are a barrier summer resort island, so luckily we do not have many people here now.
Stay safe
Dave

rdeloe

And I like "Bark and Stone". My wife and I are "the elderly" ( ages 80 and 83), so we are very careful. We are a barrier summer resort island, so luckily we do not have many people here now.
Stay safe
Dave
If you sharpen up some of those fence slats, you can keep the city folk away from your retreat! ;)

You have a quarter century on me. I am always happy to see you posting because you give me hope that I could still be making photographs when I'm 80.

Take care, Rob

gurtch

Since we are staying home, I did not have to go far for this sunset, taken from our deck several nights ago. GFX 50R, 32-64mm at 46mm f8 ISO 400. Normally I would use several shots HDR, but I did not have my tripod handy (in my car trunk). Instead, I had to separate the sky, water and foreground, put them on their own layers, and use adjustment layers separately on each. Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

D809 framed.jpg

JohnBrew

One of the little things I do every evening is make a vodka tonic and for my wife a glass of Chardonnay, go out on the screen porch over looking the golf course and turn on Radio Monte Carlo.Around 6 pm (midnight there) they play some of the best jazz you never heard. I really mellow out to this until it’s time to go in and cook.
All things considered, life is what happens and life is good.

Everyone be safe ‘cause we want to see everyone back after this mess and hear your stories.

stngoldberg

Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect ;)
Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
All the best to you all.
John,
Just caught up with this thread and I hope you are feeling better and recovered from your surgery
Stanley

tcdeveau

One of the little things I do every evening is make a vodka tonic and for my wife a glass of Chardonnay, go out on the screen porch over looking the golf course and turn on Radio Monte Carlo.Around 6 pm (midnight there) they play some of the best jazz you never heard. I really mellow out to this until it’s time to go in and cook.
All things considered, life is what happens and life is good.

Everyone be safe ‘cause we want to see everyone back after this mess and hear your stories.
There are some anecdotal reports of anti-malaria medications being useful against the novel 2019 coronavirus, and quinine in tonic used to be used to fight malaria, soooo I think you've got the right idea John :)

Charles2

in California the first two weeks of social isolation have been easy. I could go out and find mundane scenes that take on more meaning. For example, this elite university is under lockdown and conducts classes via Web. Libraries and all other buildings are closed. Many students come from rich families in China. This woman is likely from such a family, pondering her situation by a creek on the campus.

Thorkil

Today I was on my first walk at the sea for almost a month.
The impressive distans of 2 km with my X-pro 2 on my shoulder.
Time to celebrate this achivement. And the fact that it now seems that I am now on the other side of the Covid 19 sicknes!

So a recomendation from the "inside" is to avoid this at all cost if you are past 60 years old.
It has not been a fun ride. The only posotive thing about this is that I now should be immune to the virus for some period to come.

It will take maybe one more week to be back to normal.
But then I will have lots of time to walk with my camera

I have some more technical books that I should write, but I think now I will also start with a book dokumenting one of the nature reserves I have been photograping.
The plan is to show a period of one year. I already have most of what I need, except from spring, so in some way this is good timing.

Take care and stay safe!

Ray
Hi Ray
Good you survived!
It should be a really nasty experience.
The leading physicians in the intensive care units in DK say that the corona is far more violent and far more unpredictable in its disease progression than they had feared, and that people usually have to stay between 2 weeks but often up till 4-5 weeks in a respirator with the addition of up to 80-100% pure oxygen and that the lungs have very hard difficulty absorbing oxygen and carrying it out into the body.
And even young people in intensive care have need for respirators for a longer period.
In DK, they say that if you are above 65, you may be offered a combination of a "common" flu vaccine and a pneumonia vaccine (I guess against a virus-based kind of pneumonia). Irene and I will therefore contact our health center tomorrow to hear if it is possible - and thus possibly be better prepared against the corona - perhaps just an inspiration to other people..
(in Denmark we have wondered why Sweden has not shut down all social activity to prevent infection and to prevent an overloaded health care like in Italy where most people die before they even hit the overloaded hospitals)
best thorkil

Grayhand

Well Thorkil, I blame this on the Danish people :cool:
I was in Kastrup airport a couple of times 10 days before I got ill!

I had the flu shoot this year. The vaccine they offer is for the bacterially based pneumonia.
But many people, including me, get the viral based pneumonia, and against this there is no vaccine or real cure, except time. I still have pneumonia; it is a slow process to get rid of this for me.
Sweden gets a lot of finger pointing now, but no one really knows what the right way is to do this without totally crashing your society.
If you speak to the right people, there is some sobering information to get. Forget the official numbers of infected. If we want to be optimistic it is maybe 10 times as many that are infected. But a more realistic estimate now is 30-50 times the official numbers.

And the look down is a problem as many countries are not in sync with this. Even if you succeed to stamp out all cases in a country, as soon as you open the borders, the inflow of new cases starts, due to all the “silent” carriers. So, this will continue until 50-60% of the population get this and the “herd immunity” kicks in or they get a working vaccine.

If you want to avoid this, remember that anyone getting closer than 3 meters is a potential enemy.
If any in the family leaves the quarantine, don´t let them back in, they are now one of the enemies. Use your monopod to chase all people away. And don´t forget to disinfect it after use..
In other words, an almost impossible situation for most people in this world.
We can only hope that all people work together to solve this.

This too shall pass

Ray

Grayhand

Back to the regular topic!

I was digging in the storage for old cameras and I did find some old polaroid that I compleatly forgotten about.

Old Polaroid 664 and 690, B/W. It was functionel 4 years ago, so lets think positive. Stored in room temeperature..
I also have at least 22 boxes of different Fuji FP-100. They are stoored in a cooler.

And I have at least 4 cameras I can shoot this film with, I think I will use a lot of this for my coming photos this spring.
And the good thing with the Fuji is that when you save the negative, you can give it a tender treatment with bleach, and sudenly you have a "ordinary" negative!

And then I had to open the lid of my dedicated film freezer

In there is film in different sizes, 8X10, 4X5, 120 and 35.
And the nice thing is that I still have cameras for all this formats!

So it looks like this combined quarantine and pension will be filled with lots of interesting photography.

And the next step is to dig out my darkroom..

Ray

Thorkil

Well Thorkil, I blame this on the Danish people :cool:
I was in Kastrup airport a couple of times 10 days before I got ill!

I had the flu shoot this year. The vaccine they offer is for the bacterially based pneumonia.
But many people, including me, get the viral based pneumonia, and against this there is no vaccine or real cure, except time. I still have pneumonia; it is a slow process to get rid of this for me.
Sweden gets a lot of finger pointing now, but no one really knows what the right way is to do this without totally crashing your society.
If you speak to the right people, there is some sobering information to get. Forget the official numbers of infected. If we want to be optimistic it is maybe 10 times as many that are infected. But a more realistic estimate now is 30-50 times the official numbers.

And the look down is a problem as many countries are not in sync with this. Even if you succeed to stamp out all cases in a country, as soon as you open the borders, the inflow of new cases starts, due to all the “silent” carriers. So, this will continue until 50-60% of the population get this and the “herd immunity” kicks in or they get a working vaccine.

If you want to avoid this, remember that anyone getting closer than 3 meters is a potential enemy.
If any in the family leaves the quarantine, don´t let them back in, they are now one of the enemies. Use your monopod to chase all people away. And don´t forget to disinfect it after use..
In other words, an almost impossible situation for most people in this world.
We can only hope that all people work together to solve this.

This too shall pass

Ray
:eek:
yes, Ray, if you was on a plane from Austria, with silly Danish youngsters who came from skiing at Ischgl in Austria, the super-Corona-hotspot in the Alps, where all the bartenders were infected, and where they all, a bit drunk in the evenings, were sharing the same whistle so everyone was sure of being infected …then it probably was at Kastrup and not Arlanda you got infected :)
Then there is only one cure left for you: the cod-liver-solution (which someone’s really hate, but I actually do like it..) – Norwegian Möllers Tran, I guess you can buy it at Coop in Sweden also??? 1 spoonful each day, the first week (higher dose than recommended, but you lack the natural A & D-vitamin), then half a spoonful until perfectly cured after 10-14 days, I promise…Its simply the best way to quickly and effective boost your immune system. Do try it out!
In general, its best to be wise after its all over. But there were 2 important factors in Denmark, 1) we got these very strong advice’s from the doctors in Northern Italy: shut down now, before it really hits you and before it increases, before you think you have a problem, because shutting down after, its too late to avoid the increment going rocket-high and 2) we got an really action minded Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (Trumps knows he very well…), who actually was ahead of even the health-authorities, and was shutting down very quickly and heavily – and many people were saying, isn’t that too hard a way, but absolutely nobody are questioning that anymore. Before the corona-situation, around 50% of our population supported her fully, right now its about 79%, that’s a high back-up-rate.
In Bergamo in Italy, east of Milano, they were sitting on their hands for too long a time compared to a neighbor city Lodi. The amount of infected and dead in Bergamo went rocket-high (the crematorium had to work day and night, but even though, the military had to drive the dead at night in convoys to other crematoriums), in Lodi they had only under half of the daily increment, they had been shutting down very early. Yesterday in Italy 15.360 have died, almost 125.000 registered infected, now luckily with the increment going down from a daily death-rate of 970 to 680 yesterday, so they are very, very slowly getting better. But yes, the shadow-figures might be half or 1 mio. infected. In a small city West of Venice they tested the whole population, half of the infected or those who had been infected have had no symptoms at all.
Yes the Danish “Serum-institute” have the same message, about 60% will be infected, possibly – but the “solution” is to get it done in a slowly way so that the health-system still will be functioning and not are brought down on their knees, or in fact for a great part be totally put out of order, like in northern Italy.
For the last 5 days in Denmark, we have had a decrease in corona patients in intensive care at the hospital from a total from (only) 260 to now 230. But still it might be too early to conclude that the hard way was the right way, but the signs are there, that it surely might have been the right way..

anyone

Back to the regular topic!

I was digging in the storage for old cameras and I did find some old polaroid that I compleatly forgotten about.

Old Polaroid 664 and 690, B/W. It was functionel 4 years ago, so lets think positive. Stored in room temeperature..
I also have at least 22 boxes of different Fuji FP-100. They are stoored in a cooler.

And I have at least 4 cameras I can shoot this film with, I think I will use a lot of this for my coming photos this spring.
And the good thing with the Fuji is that when you save the negative, you can give it a tender treatment with bleach, and sudenly you have a "ordinary" negative!

And then I had to open the lid of my dedicated film freezer

In there is film in different sizes, 8X10, 4X5, 120 and 35.
And the nice thing is that I still have cameras for all this formats!

So it looks like this combined quarantine and pension will be filled with lots of interesting photography.

And the next step is to dig out my darkroom..

Ray
Same plans. My darkroom is waiting to be put into action again! :thumbup: How do you save the negatives of the FP100C? I still have about 10 packages of it, would be fun to experiment.

Grayhand

Same plans. My darkroom is waiting to be put into action again! :thumbup: How do you save the negatives of the FP100C? I still have about 10 packages of it, would be fun to experiment.
This is what I do, more or less..

Here you see the "operator" fix the negative with tejp to a sheet of glas, I do the same.

Some just wet the negative and let the surface tension of the water hold the negative on the glas.
But I have had leakage to the underside, and you do not whant that..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLbhbTgBI8

But I must admit that I am not as careful as this guy, you can find a video where a toothbrush is used.
So you have just to find your own level of "scrubbing" the negative :chug:

Ray

AndyPtak

If you like jazz on the radio I have a treat for you. It's an all jazz, non profit station in Toronto - www.jazz.fm - available on the internet worldwide. They even have special segments - Saturday night starting at 7 pm, Danny Marks with blues, Friday night at 9 pm Ronny Littlejohn with the Gumbo hour (New Orleans artists) Sunday night is Big Band night, and lots of others. Check them out. Good music and good people. We're hooked!