The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens recommendations for CFV50c II on Actus G

Hausen

Apologies if this is the 90th lens recommendation thread but I can't seem to find anything out there for my situation. I currently have the X1D on my Actus G and find the lens restrictions at the wide end frustrating. I fell hard for the 907x/CFV50c II and am on the waiting list. I live in Queenstown NZ, and around 50% of what I do are panoramas, so shift is my main requirement. So now that I have time with self isolation, I want to start working out a kit while I wait for the 907x. What I am looking for is the widest possible lens with max movements and the longest possible lens that operates with the standard bellows/rail with the CFV50c II. Also with the wide lens would I need a center filter?
I hike/ride to my destinations and the perfect setup would be the Actus + 2 lenses, the 907x with my 21/125mm. I currently use the Mamiya 50 shift, SK72XL and Rodie 100/4. I had a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago and while I have recovered well and can handle a heavy pack, I want to stay as light as possible because my heavy pack contributed to my accident.

Thanks in advance.

rdeloe

You're already using one medium format film camera lens. Are you willing to use more? If so, I'm a fan of the Pentax 645 35mm lens. I like the older manual A (small, light, excellent quality and affordable). Apparently the D FA model (latest, made for digital) is better. (Skip the FA version.)

By the way, what do you think of your Mamiya 645 50mm shift? I tried one on my shift setup and it was not very good. I wonder if I had a bad copy. That was a shame because one thing this lens has going for it is that it's easy to take off the shift mechanism. That leaves you with a lens that can be screwed to a flat board and is much easier to use (on my VX23D anyway).

Last edited:

Hausen

I am quite impressed with the Mamiya 50 Shift both with an adaptor on the X1D and on the Actus. Maybe you had a bad copy?

You're already using one medium format film camera lens. Are you willing to use more? If so, I'm a fan of the Pentax 645 35mm lens. I like the older manual A (small, light, excellent quality and affordable). Apparently the D FA model (latest, made for digital) is better. (Skip the FA version.)

By the way, what do you think of your Mamiya 645 50mm shift? I tried one on my shift setup and it was not very good. I wonder if I had a bad copy. That was a shame because one thing this lens has going for it is that it's easy to take off the shift mechanism. That leaves you with a lens that can be screwed to a flat board and is much easier to use (on my VX23D anyway).

rdeloe

I am quite impressed with the Mamiya 50 Shift both with an adaptor on the X1D and on the Actus. Maybe you had a bad copy?
That's entirely possible. Those lenses have banged around out there for decades now. I'm very glad to hear that yours is good.

Hausen

That's entirely possible. Those lenses have banged around out there for decades now. I'm very glad to hear that yours is good.
I have had two of them and they were both good. A trick for young players with this lens adapted is you have to be careful not to rotate it the wrong way because it loosens the lens where it mates to the adaptor. My first one bounced on the concrete while I was walking between shots below a bridge.:banghead: I leave it on my desk to remind myself to slow down.

Shashin

This is a complex question because it is a combination of focal length and image circle. Lenses for 44x33mm sensors can be wide, but their image circles are small. I actually made a spreadsheet to calculate field of view (or rather focal length to image/format size ratio) to understand how different lenses would "see" depending on the focal length, image circle, and the amount of shift/rise/fall with a given sensor. It was a bit rough with some questionable assumptions, but I found the exercise useful to visualize different combinations.

As posted above, I use the Pentax 645 A 35mm manual focus lens on my Pentax 645D. I am happy with the quality and would allow movements with the Actus. Cambo has a good information on lens/camera combinations. It appears for wides, medium-format lenses from Pentax, Hasselblad, etc give the best options.

Hausen

Thank you for the response. That was exactly the issue, finding something that is wide enough with a big enough image circle for movements. I will investigate the Pentax 35. Pentax is the only lens board I don't have. Always the way.:)

This is a complex question because it is a combination of focal length and image circle. Lenses for 44x33mm sensors can be wide, but their image circles are small. I actually made a spreadsheet to calculate field of view (or rather focal length to image/format size ratio) to understand how different lenses would "see" depending on the focal length, image circle, and the amount of shift/rise/fall with a given sensor. It was a bit rough with some questionable assumptions, but I found the exercise useful to visualize different combinations.

As posted above, I use the Pentax 645 A 35mm manual focus lens on my Pentax 645D. I am happy with the quality and would allow movements with the Actus. Cambo has a good information on lens/camera combinations. It appears for wides, medium-format lenses from Pentax, Hasselblad, etc give the best options.