The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 Hybrid Ball Head with RRS Lever Clamp

fotophil

After a year of fighting the Arca Clamp which was factory mounted on top of my Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 Hybrid Ball Head, I have discovered a simple means of replacing it with a Really Right Stuff Lever Clamp. I was unaware of the RRS miniature version (Model B2-40-LR - $105) of their classic lever clamp. To my great surprise, the bolt holding the old Arca clamp on to the p0 body was NOT held in place with thread sealant and the old bolt worked fine for mounting the new RRS Lever Clamp. The new clamp is designed to work with a wider range of mounting plates according to RRS. The only trick to the installation was stacking two fender washers under the clamp to allow free rotation of the clamp. I did use Blue Locktite thread sealant during assembly. The new lever clamp works fine and I received extra satisfaction in throwing the useless Arca Clamp in the trash can!!! I have never understood why Arca would supply their wonderful ballheads with such junky clamps!

Rand47

Amen! Coming from a BH-55 RRS head to the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head, I could not believe how awful the Arca clamp was. After a very short time, my D4 was off to Precision Camera in IL to have the clamp swapped out with a RRS lever clamp. What a relief. I now have a pretty darn perfect setup. RRS lever clamps are really beautifully engineered and very secure.

Rand