The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In love with Phaseone XT

LCValla

in February I had the chance to deeply test the new XT with the 32.
I was so happy about it that I decide to order one.
A week a go Phaseone managed to send my new camera but as the social distancing period I decide to document this time by taking the same picture of the construction that I can see from my window.
I am taking the same picture every day at every time, specially when the light comes early in the morning or when the sun goes down leaving time to the night.
I am trying to document the immobility of human activity against the life of nature visible in the changes of the trees.
I have a solid tripod firmly anchored to the railing of my small terrace not to change the position of the camera (that I prefer to keep it inside!).
I take 2 shot, one shifted to the right and one to the left, I process the files in C1 and I make the pano in Photoshop.
I hope to be able soon to get out and use my XT in the field as I did for over a month with the demo (I will upload more picture done with this wonderful camera 2 month a go!)

Here is one example.
Comments, critics etc are welcome!

Stay safe

Lorenzo

Attachments

TheDude

A week a go Phaseone managed to send my new camera but as the social distancing period I decide to document this time by taking the same picture of the construction that I can see from my window.
I am taking the same picture every day at every time, specially when the light comes early in the morning or when the sun goes down leaving time to the night.
I am trying to document the immobility of human activity against the life of nature visible in the changes of the trees.
I have a solid tripod firmly anchored to the railing of my small terrace not to change the position of the camera (that I prefer to keep it inside!).
I take 2 shot, one shifted to the right and one to the left, I process the files in C1 and I make the pano in Photoshop.
I hope to be able soon to get out and use my XT in the field as I did for over a month with the demo (I will upload more picture done with this wonderful camera 2 month a go!)

Here is one example.
Comments, critics etc are welcome!

Stay safe

Lorenzo
Very nice. Phase One XT is certainly a very capable camera system. For some, maybe not enough technical camera; but for the large majority, probably all what they ever need on technical camera.

I assume, this image was taken using the Digaron-W 32mm, 12mm shift (maximum shift possible) horizontal to both sides? Did you use or consider vertical shifts to straighten out the lines?

Thanks for posting. Looking forward seeing more images.

MN

Last edited:

LCValla

I assume, this image was taken using the Digaron-W 32mm, 12mm shift (maximum shift possible) horizontal to both sides? Did you use or consider vertical shifts to straighten out the lines?

Thanks for posting. Looking forward seeing more images.

MN[/QUOTE]
thank-you for your comment!
There is a vertical shift of just 1 mm down as I am at the second floor, The camera is absolutely in level the building and the tower crane (specially the one in the corner) aren't !

For my kind of photography this camera is enough technical and the fact that it is a dedicated camera makes working with it a joy!
The camera memorize the shift movements in the metadata and this with the possibility to memorize LCC profile in C1 and use them as preset simplify the postproduction. This is only an example of the advantage of the total integration between the IQ4 and the camera/lens.

I will post some of the pictures I taken in Venice in February!

Lorenzo

TheDude

[/QUOTE]The camera memorize the shift movements in the metadata and this with the possibility to memorize LCC profile in C1 and use them as preset simplify the postproduction.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that no lens cast correction is needed for the IQ4 (back-illuminated sensor). What has been your experience?

I assume, such metadata is still useful for correcting vignetting and any optical lens deficiencies.

TheDude

For my kind of photography this camera is enough technical and the fact that it is a dedicated camera makes working with it a joy!
Being able to shift is generally perceived to be the biggest advantage offered by a technical camera.

And here, shifting also allows for easy stitching.

Last edited:

LCValla

I my experience the lens cast is mild but stil needs correction which is perfectly done with the LCC profile.

The camera memorize the shift movements in the metadata and this with the possibility to memorize LCC profile in C1 and use them as preset simplify the postproduction.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that no lens cast correction is needed for the IQ4 (back-illuminated sensor). What has been your experience?

I assume, such metadata is still useful for correcting vignetting and any optical lens deficiencies.[/QUOTE]

LCValla

Being able to shift is generally perceived to be the biggest advantage of a technical camera.

And here, shifting also allows for easy stitching.
Yes specially with this lens I don't feel the need to tilt.

perhaps with the 70 (which is one of the lens I would like to buy with the future 50) tilting the lens would be more useful !

Lorenzo

Hausen

I think the XT would be the dream camera for me. I shoot a lot of panos and will have to make do with my Actus. Good luck with the purchase and please post the Venice pics. Nice to see someone happy with this cam because it took a little heat when released.

Mexecutioner

I think the XT would be the dream camera for me. I shoot a lot of panos and will have to make do with my Actus. Good luck with the purchase and please post the Venice pics. Nice to see someone happy with this cam because it took a little heat when released.
I'd like to have one as well, that's part of the reason I went from IQ3100 to IQ4. I was planning on pulling the trigger soon, but with the current situation I am going to watch my cash a little bit closer for the time being.

LCValla

I'd like to have one as well, that's part of the reason I went from IQ3100 to IQ4. I was planning on pulling the trigger soon, but with the current situation I am going to watch my cash a little bit closer for the time being.
I had the iQ3 trichromat for my XF, when I heard about the new XT I thought that it was my camera for 2 reasons the possibility to shift and the lightness of the system.
I could not take city landscape with out the possibility to shift the lens!
I was so happy with the IQ3 but I to use the XT I was obliged to change the back. I had the opportunity to test the camera for over a month and so I was very convinced.
I understand what you mean about the current situation and I am also worried about it but I placed my order at the beginning of February.
My vendor which is a nice person when the camera was ready he called me and asked me, as the situation, if I still want it and I decided yes because it would make me happy and i was a good choice.
The project I am making from my window (I will post some more to show you the sense of what I am doing here) takes me a lot of time and is a big help to spend this time while I am completely alone in my house-studio.
It will get better I am positive. If it wan't, well if I was negative this won't change the situation!

Stay safe

Lorenzo

paulgrundy

Lorenzo,

I think your project could produce some eloquent shots to illustrate this year we are living through. Hopefully you will not still be shooting it when the leaves start to fall....

Paul

Mexecutioner

I had the iQ3 trichromat for my XF, when I heard about the new XT I thought that it was my camera for 2 reasons the possibility to shift and the lightness of the system.
I could not take city landscape with out the possibility to shift the lens!
I was so happy with the IQ3 but I to use the XT I was obliged to change the back. I had the opportunity to test the camera for over a month and so I was very convinced.
I understand what you mean about the current situation and I am also worried about it but I placed my order at the beginning of February.
My vendor which is a nice person when the camera was ready he called me and asked me, as the situation, if I still want it and I decided yes because it would make me happy and i was a good choice.
The project I am making from my window (I will post some more to show you the sense of what I am doing here) takes me a lot of time and is a big help to spend this time while I am completely alone in my house-studio.
It will get better I am positive. If it wan't, well if I was negative this won't change the situation!

Stay safe

Lorenzo
I'm glad you decided to get the XT. One must do what makes us happy, especially in these times. I am sure it will be a great companion for the days you spend at home and then will join you on many adventures.

TheDude

Hausen;814925I shoot a lot of panos[/QUOTE said:
Me too but I am mostly using the pano feature of my iPhone. :D

Would be great if PhaseOne or Hasselblad could add a "on the fly", internal stitching feature to their digital backs.

Would be a great feature for a field camera like the P1 XT.

LCValla

Me too but I am mostly using the pano feature of my iPhone. :D

Would be great if PhaseOne or Hasselblad could add a "on the fly", internal stitching feature to their digital backs.

Would be a great feature for a field camera like the P1 XT.
To me it would be enough if it was possible to merge the panos in capture One to have RAW file to work with as you can do in Lightroom (which I do not use anymore)
In C1 I must make corrections to the 2 different file (except for the LCC profile I can copy and paste the settings between the 2) but if in PS I see a problem in the final result I have to go back in C1 and correct the 2 images and esport them again.

Lorenzo

rsinclair

Hi Lorenzo and congratulations on the purchase of your XT + 32. Your photographs are splendid and like others here, I look forward to seeing the progress of your current project. That said, we are all ready to get out and freely shoot again!

At the risk of sounding like I'm hijacking your thread, I want to support your decision as it appears to fit your needs. Like you, I could not be more pleased with my XT. Last summer/fall when the XT was announced, I was in the planning stages of a winter trip to the Arctic (Svalbard) for mid-February to mid-March 2020. On paper it seemed to me the XT would fit those and other extreme conditions I find myself in, well.

Fortunately, my dealer had a road show scheduled for September in my city, so I was able to briefly test the system. I already had an IQ4 and wanted to add an Achro, so the timing and October delivery of both the XT and IQ4 Achro worked well. I filled out the kit with all 3 lenses available at the time to gain wider and fill in, as my other Roden lenses for my Arca's were 40 & 90. All of the lenses arrived by December, so I was able to work with the system to gain efficiency for the conditions I expected. I succeeded with the nearly month-long Arctic photo project and returned to the US a day before the US imposed the restrictions on EU travelers!

With your post, you have inspired me to start a similar thread (rather than hijack yours ;-) and will provide perspectives on using the system in extreme shooting conditions along with comments about the experiences with the lenses.

Cheers and stay safe and healthy,
Robert

LCValla

Hi Lorenzo and congratulations on the purchase of your XT + 32. Your photographs are splendid and like others here, I look forward to seeing the progress of your current project. That said, we are all ready to get out and freely shoot again!

At the risk of sounding like I'm hijacking your thread, I want to support your decision as it appears to fit your needs. Like you, I could not be more pleased with my XT. Last summer/fall when the XT was announced, I was in the planning stages of a winter trip to the Arctic (Svalbard) for mid-February to mid-March 2020. On paper it seemed to me the XT would fit those and other extreme conditions I find myself in, well.

Fortunately, my dealer had a road show scheduled for September in my city, so I was able to briefly test the system. I already had an IQ4 and wanted to add an Achro, so the timing and October delivery of both the XT and IQ4 Achro worked well. I filled out the kit with all 3 lenses available at the time to gain wider and fill in, as my other Roden lenses for my Arca's were 40 & 90. All of the lenses arrived by December, so I was able to work with the system to gain efficiency for the conditions I expected. I succeeded with the nearly month-long Arctic photo project and returned to the US a day before the US imposed the restrictions on EU travelers!

With your post, you have inspired me to start a similar thread (rather than hijack yours ;-) and will provide perspectives on using the system in extreme shooting conditions along with comments about the experiences with the lenses.

Cheers and stay safe and healthy,
Robert
I am not sure that I understood all about your message, that said I am not jealous about my thread or my project (it would nice if this was a project of different people to see in in the different stories from our windows).
I am very interested in your experience with the XT specially about the lens, I have only the 32 because what I really miss in my XF system with 35, 80 and 150 is the possibility to take pictures with no geometrical distortion.
I am very interested in the 70 (i like normal lens even in architecture when this is possible) so I am interested in your comment of this lens specially considering the amount of shift possible with the XT.

Stay safe!

Lorenzo