The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 45 F4 Difference between the Original 45/3.5

rollsman44

I am looking for anyone who its using this lens. I would appreciate it before I purchase the original version. Thanks Dennis

pflower

I borrowed the f4 lens from Hasselblad for an hour and made some photos with it. I have had the original f3.5 lens since the X1D came out and have made thousands of photographs with it. I personally can't see any difference in quality between the two. I also don't see any real difference between photos made at f3.5 and at f4 - maybe a very gentle difference in DOF but since I normally use the original lens at about f5.6 or 6.8 or f8 that is irrelevant. And at f 6.5 or f8 there really is no difference.

Given the price difference I would have thought that the new lens is the way to go - smaller, lighter, less obtrusive (although I use the original lens as a walk about and have no problems with it). But if I had just bought an X1D or X1D2 I would definitely have gone with the newer f4 lens. Possibly, but I don't know there may be some AF differences but in my experience the X1D is pretty good at AF - not DSLR responsive but good enough for what I do. Some have criticised the 45p as having terrible AF - I don't remember that as a major problem - but then I only had it for an hour.

The smaller size, the very limited difference between f4 and f3.5 and the dramatic difference in price seems to me to point inexorably towards the new lens. I don't have enough experience to talk about AF quality and speed etc. But others might. If i could be bothered to try and sell my F3.5 45mm lens i would happily do so and get the smaller lens. Smaller the better is my motto. And having spent most of my life with manual focus lenses, AF is a wonder.

So in response - if AF speed and accuracy is a major concern for your I would try out a demo version of the 45p to see if it is acceptable. As regards image quality - there is no significant difference. And the size/weight and price really leans heavily towards the cheaper 45p.

I am looking for anyone who its using this lens. I would appreciate it before I purchase the original version. Thanks Dennis

DaveS

I have both. The things I like are:

- Small size, lighter weight, whole camera and extra batteries fit in Think Tank mirrorless mover 10 bag. Same one I use for M10 (with 2 lenses) Very portable.

- Significantly quieter than original 45mm. In a normal room, everyone knows you took a picture with the original lens, not with this one. Not silent, but very very quiet compared to other X1D lenses.

- Picture sharpness and contrast seem nice.

Still to check:

- Much more vignette than I remember compared to the original lens. See photos attached. First one F9, second one F7.1. These are straight jpg conversion, no adjustments other than shrunk to fit this site.

- Haven't checked focus speed, will try over next few days.

It makes the camera feel like a small point and shoot. (sort of small)

Dave S

Attachments

DaveS

Hi again, it took a bit longer to post these photos than I planned. Here is my vignette test of the 45 vs the 45P. They are not nearly as different that I expected. I am guessing the day I took only the 45P shots, it was particularly clear and blue and made the vignette appear more than a typical somewhat overcast Vancouver day...

Anyway, the left hand column is the 45mm F3.5 at 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11
the right hand column is the 45mm P F4 lens at 4, 5.6, 8, 11.

All the pictures are imported directly into LR6 (old stand alone version) with no adjustments except exposure, trying to make the grey house in the middle look the same in all the pictures.

I did them all hand held, because I was only expecting to test vignette and what I noticed also is the 45P appears sharper at 100% as well in every shot. It could be in camera sharpening is different from Hasselblad that is causing this, but who knows.

Anyway, I really like the form factor of the P

all the best,

Dave

Attachments

The 45mm f4P is incredibly sharp, but it is not compatible with the X1D focus bracketing feature, if you use that feature.

FloatingLens

- Significantly quieter than original 45mm. In a normal room, everyone knows you took a picture with the original lens, not with this one. Not silent, but very very quiet compared to other X1D lenses.
I believe you mean quietness in terms of shutter noise? The 45P shutter is very discreet. The 45P focus motor not so much.

Gravastar

The 45mm f4P is incredibly sharp, but it is not compatible with the X1D focus bracketing feature, if you use that feature.
I've not tried bracketing with the 45P but according to the X1D II User Guide: " The Focus Bracketing function requires a firmware update for the Lens. Use version 0.5.33 or later for XCD lenses. The XCD 45P requires 0.1.24 or later. "

DaveS

I believe you mean quietness in terms of shutter noise? The 45P shutter is very discreet. The 45P focus motor not so much.
Yes that is right, the focus noise is still there, but sort of 'smooth' and noticeable, while the shutter sound is much quieter.

Also focus bracketing now works, my lens is currently at V0.1.26

Dave

0luke1

My 3.5 makes a shutt noise like fingernails scraping a chalk board. The 4 is relatively quite and smooth sounding.

Godfrey

I have the 45P/4 and the 65/2.8, haven't had the opportunity to work with a 45/3.5. But judging from the differences of these two, the biggest difference for me is in the smoothness and precision of the lens when used for manual focusing. The 45P's manual helical focusing mount nets a significant more degree of control in precise focusing situations, such as close up work. The focus by wire servo on the 65 works well, but there are limits to its resolution and sensitivity with respect to very fine movements of the focusing ring that you have to work with/around.

Regards imaging qualities, I'm perfectly happy with the 45P's rendering and DoF control ... the extra half stop afforded by the 45/3.5 lens wouldn't amount to very much more in way of DoF control.

G

Steve Hendrix

Since the 45-P was announced, we have sold exactly zero 45mm/3.5 lenses. And many 45-P lenses. I see nothing but positives.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Caumont

I used both and can hardly tell the difference… but the 45P is definitely better to me: lighter, smaller, quieter… Did I mention cheaper?