The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What will happen to the content?

gerald.d

Naturally it is very sad to see the announcement that has been posted regarding the shutting of this site on June 1st.

The content that has been posted here by hundreds/thousands of individuals over the years has significant value (I am not thinking from a financial perspective).

What will happen to it?

Are the owners/admins looking into options to at least leave the post archive live, even if the ability to post to the forum is removed?

It sounds as if we have 4-5 weeks to come up with something.

It cannot just be deleted.

rdeloe

Something similar happened to the Yahoo Groups when Yahoo decided there was no money in maintaining them and shut them down. The group that had formed around Quadtone RIP (a program for black and white printing) was a treasure-trove of expertise and involved many if not most of the people who used the tool, including the developer.

Fortunately the entire contents of the group were moved to groups.io and people carried on. I don't think that's a solution for GetDPI, but I wholeheartedly agree that there's a lot of knowledge in the forums that would be lost were it simply to disappear. I hope that something can be done to save this material, even in a static form.

My thanks to all the volunteers behind GetDPI.

Paul2660

Sad to see, especially since hosting costs and MA costs for a modern site should not run that much, at least from my experience.

I would be more than willing to consider a donation, or do what was done on LuLa where members can pay a yearly amount.

As a member here since 2008, I find it a bit strange that the site will just close, and not offer the members any chance to donate funds necessary to keep it open. But the world we live in has changed forever.

As for the content, once the site is down, I doubt any of it will remain, as the server will be cleared of content.

Paul C

med

Sad to see, especially since hosting costs and MA costs for a modern site should not run that much, at least from my experience.

I would be more than willing to consider a donation, or do what was done on LuLa where members can pay a yearly amount.

As a member here since 2008, I find it a bit strange that the site will just close, and not offer the members any chance to donate funds necessary to keep it open. But the world we live in has changed forever.

As for the content, once the site is down, I doubt any of it will remain, as the server will be cleared of content.

Paul C
I second all of these comments and would also happily donate to help keep the site going.

vjbelle

Agree...... why not make this a subscription site? It can't cost all that much to run this site.

Victor B

Paul2660

I would not agree that PhotoPXL is thriving, at least based on Forum participants. The forum is very stale and only about 20 or so people seem to be responsible for most of the content. I am a member and hoped to see the site take off. I appreciate the articles and such but I don't see much new content in the forums at least the parts I frequent.

I do agree that LuLa has gone by the wayside, at least the forums as new content on MF cameras has fallen way off.

This site has a much larger following, albeit posts have fallen off due to the current crisis.

The fact that the content will be lost is tragic as 12 or more years of information have been kept here.

Paul C

kdphotography

A good match would be to marry the GetDPI forums with Photopxl.com

Photopxl has the articles and interviews, but lacks the forum community "family."

GetDPI has a great forum community "GetDPI family" but lacks the articles and interviews.

Many thanks to Jack, Guy, and Bob---for all your work on GetDPI, and taking all the gentle ribbing.

C'mon, get Kevin Raber onboard-----GetDPI is the red headed stepchild that PhotoPXL needs to inject some love into its community forums!

:thumbs: ken

Last edited:

fotophil

Joining with Photopxl sounds like a great idea if Kevin has the resources required for the day-to-day operation. I doubt that the current $1 per month fee would be sufficient to cover the extra work (and headaches) associated with adopting GETDPI. My feeling is GETDPI is a major factor in my photographic life and I will gladly pay for it. I have been a member of GETDPI for 12 years and I have received enormous benefits at no cost thanks to the generosity of Jack and his team. It's time to pay back!

Pemihan

This is very sad news :cry:

When I started researching MFD back in the day GetDPI became my forum of choice. Great bunch of members and dealer participants as well. So much knowledge stored here that you simply can't find anywhere else. It's a photographic knowledge goldmine!

I would gladly pay a considerably amount monthly or yearly fee to keep this site running no doubt about that! Count me in!
Hell I will gladly buy a copy of the entire site for my archive so I can search the forum on my own machine.

If the above isn't a possibility a merger with Photopxl is a great idea, provided all the content isn't lost.

Last edited:

Pemihan

What kind of work is there involved in running a site like this? Anyone have any knowledge of that?

I mean if they plan to just shut it down someone might be able to take over and keep it going as a subscription or donation model.

Just thinking out loud.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I'd be willing to pay too.

Signal to noise rato is very good here.

Dave

This is very sad news :cry:

When I started researching MFD back in the day GetDPI became my forum of choice. Great bunch of members and dealer participants as well. So much knowledge stored here that you simply can't find anywhere else. It's a photographic knowledge goldmine!

I would gladly pay a considerably amount monthly or yearly fee to keep this site running no doubt about that! Count me in!
Hell I will gladly buy a copy of the entire site for my archive so I can search the forum on my own machine.

If the above isn't a possibility a merger with Photopxl is a great idea, provided all the content isn't lost.

Boinger

I have offered my technical services hope we can keep this going. I don't go on any other forums for photography.

erlingmm

Naturally it is very sad to see the announcement that has been posted regarding the shutting of this site on June 1st.

The content that has been posted here by hundreds/thousands of individuals over the years has significant value (I am not thinking from a financial perspective).

What will happen to it?

Are the owners/admins looking into options to at least leave the post archive live, even if the ability to post to the forum is removed?

It sounds as if we have 4-5 weeks to come up with something.

It cannot just be deleted.
I think the Medium Format Magazine actually has become quite interesting. Maybe they can host a group, at least for this particular topic?

- Erling

Ed Hurst

I would certainly be willing to pay to participate in this group. It's wonderful. I can't imagine not having it here... I visit multiple times every single day. It's part of the fabric of my photography life and I feel people here are friends.

buildbot

Wow this is very sad to see!

Does anyone know what the cost of running this site currently is?

My actual day job is working as an Software Engineer at Microsoft, and I would love to help by working as the sites admin/ manage hosting it. I’d be shocked if i couldn’t find a way to host the site for < 10$ per month total...

Ed Hurst

At the appropriate juncture, it would be fabulous to hear if there is any chance of these ideas working :)