The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX Zoom Lenses IR Performance

fotophil

My IR testing of my full spectrum GFX50S with the Fuji 45-100mm Zoom shows that 680nm and 720nm filters are usable for all apertures up to f/16 over the entire Zoom Range. The 760nm filter is usable for all apertures up to f/16 over a zoom range of 45 to 80mm but there is a mild center hot spot at the 100mm setting. Unfortunately neither the 850nm or 950nm filters are usable due to medium - severe hot spots at all apertures over the entire zoom range.

I have found that the 32-64mm zoom is unusable at 32mm for all filters except the 680nm and 720nm up to f/8; at 45mm it is usable for the 680nm and 720nm filters up to f/11 and at 64mm the 680nm and 720nm filters are usable to at least f/16 and up to f/11 for the 850nm filter but unusable for the 950nm filter for the entire range..

In contrast to the mixed IR behavior of the other zoom lenses, the 100- 200mm zoom is usable for all of the filters at apertures up to f/16 over the entire zoom range which makes it a great lens for IR Photography as is the 45mm f/2.8 Prime.

tcdeveau

Thanks so much for sharing. I’ve been curious about performance of the 45-100 and 100-200, esp with a 720nm filter. Hope all’s well,
-Todd

fotophil

GFX IR Photography with the 720nm filter is pretty well supported from 45mm up to 200mm with the current Fuji Zoom Lenses. It is unfortunate that the short end of the 32-64 Zoom and 23mm Prime are problems. The filter characteristics are important as seen by the performance differences between the 720nm and 760nm filters. My IR preference is more towards the 850nm filters. At one time Kodak produced a 830nm filter that I have not yet had a chance to test.

I should point out that all of my work is based upon full spectrum IR conversions on the GFX50S. I suspect the 50R would be the same but I have no idea about the GFX100. Currently the cost of IR conversions for the 50S is in the range of $400 to $1000 depending on the vendor.