The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H4D 40 40.0MP vs Pentax 645D

rollsman44

Just speculating to see which is the Best for portraits and Group shots. I know the Pentax lenes are less expensive and some have Excellent IQ
I shoot mainly with strobe and OCF. Any feedback is appreciated. thanks

Also to save some money what about the H3D-?? I dont need more than 30Mpx. Its more for my Personal use now. Family and friends and a few portrait jobs Thanks

Last edited:

citizin

I have the H4D-40 and it's a great portrait shooter. The 2.2/100 or the 3.2/150 are fantastic for . If you're using OCF you'll like the option for leaf shutters in the Hasselblad system. H glass can go for pretty cheap if you're patient enough, I picked up the 150 for about $700 and the 100 for $1150ish.

Shashin

I have not shot the Hasselblad, but I have shot a Pentax 645D and Phase One p25+ in the studio with strobes. Apart from the clunky Phase interface and limited ISO range, both produced excellent portraits. The lighting is more of a factor in quality than the camera. I think it comes down to personal taste and whether one offers particular lenses or features.

rollsman44

I appreciate that. I always use sufficient lighting. Clunky and heavy BUT the IQ on the 645D is excellent and the lenses are very good and less expensive. I have not tried the Phase one backs so I dont know. Thank you

Abstraction

Unless you need a leaf shutter, you'd be much better served by more current full frame offerings. The sensor tech is better and the service and parts availability is much better as well. I don't see either one of these systems making practical sense unless you need a leaf shutter.

rollsman44

Thank you Abstraction. That makes sense to me. I was looking for something for me as Personal use. I have shot Medium Format in the past and I sort of got used to the Beautiful files they produce.Was looking for an older model to save on cost as its only for me to use as a FAMILY camera/Some portrait jobs that come along. Thank you