Site Sponsors

Thread: Applying Film Emulations GFX 50R?

Post Thanks / Like

Applying Film Emulations GFX 50R?

How do I apply Fuji Film emulations for my GFX 50R? I have, for example, Velvia selected in the camera. I presently develop the raw RAF files in DXO Photolab 2.0. I see nowhere the option to apply the Velvia "look". I do have an older version of Film Pack 2.0, but for some reason, it will not load TIFF files (The only choices are TIF or JPG). I have been told that Capture 1 will provide the option, and I have the free Capture 1 Fuji program, but Capture 1 does not work for me...I lose files, cannot find files, etc (I am a senior...old dogs, etc).
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ
    P.S. I will also post in the Fuji Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Film Emulations GFX 50R?

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    How do I apply Fuji Film emulations for my GFX 50R? I have, for example, Velvia selected in the camera. I presently develop the raw RAF files in DXO Photolab 2.0. I see nowhere the option to apply the Velvia "look". I do have an older version of Film Pack 2.0, but for some reason, it will not load TIFF files (The only choices are TIF or JPG). I have been told that Capture 1 will provide the option, and I have the free Capture 1 Fuji program, but Capture 1 does not work for me...I lose files, cannot find files, etc (I am a senior...old dogs, etc).
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ
    P.S. I will also post in the Fuji Forum
    As far as I'm aware you need to save the File as a JPEG and it's applied in camera.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, the only way to get the actual Fuji film simulations is via the JPEG, in camera, or using Fuji's own RAW development software, which uses the camera to do the development. You can then write out a TIFF file that has that film simulation applied by the camera to the RAF. Note that anything you can do with this program on your desktop you can do in your camera to the RAF (and conversely, nothing you can't do in your camera can be done with the desktop software because it relies on the camera).

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/product.../x-raw-studio/

Programs like Capture One and Lightroom provide their best shot at Fuji's film emulations. I use Lightroom, and for the ones I've compared they're pretty much bang on. Apparently the Capture One folks worked closely with Fuji, so C1's are very faithful too I've read. I don't know which other vendors/tools have versions of the Fuji film simulations.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your replies.
    Dave

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should really try C1 again. Fuji maintains some legacy software of their own, but it's really mediocre compared to C1 or LR. Moreover, that's mostly an artifact of the past; they've really turned market responsibility for software-for-fuji-cameras to Capture One. If the learning curve was the main obstacle this online class may help: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/pr...-video-course/

There are also lots of free resources at https://learn.captureone.com/.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183