The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT users happy (eg re shift)

Cambo

I am German and currently also live here. That the XT did not sell well in Germany is due to the fact that only KIT's were for sale here.

But for me as the owner of various Cambo's, an IQ4150 and IQ4150 Achromat, this is absolutely uninteresting. Furthermore, there is still no cable which a new XT lens e.g. can control on a Cambo via IQ4 and I can not be 100% sure that this cable will even exist.

So it makes no sense to me at the moment to invest in an XT system and I don't find it surprising that the XT should sell badly here in Germany.

For me personally, I see the actual profit in the new shutter.

Greetings Gerd
There will be (or actually is) such a cable. It's not without good reasons that the XT is compatible with Cambo lens plates. To make it work, an update to the back's firmware need to be made. We may have to wait a bit for that - the world seems to turn slower these days - but it will come. Thus you'll be able to use your WRS alongside the XT whenever more shift is needed. As there isn't any electronics in the WRS, there obviously won't be any data transfer. But still the X-shutter is a joy to use, reliable and more precise than a Copal can ever be.

BTW: To use the lens panels safely and avoid damage to the connectors, the WRS body needs to come back to us, to machine a small cavity into it.

Smoothjazz

Good to know- does that mean the Cambo WRS camera would have to be sent back to Europe for this machining?
I may be interested in the Rodenstock telephoto XT lens coming out this year. Could you tell us what focal length it will have?

Thanks,

John

There will be (or actually is) such a cable. It's not without good reasons that the XT is compatible with Cambo lens plates. To make it work, an update to the back's firmware need to be made. We may have to wait a bit for that - the world seems to turn slower these days - but it will come. Thus you'll be able to use your WRS alongside the XT whenever more shift is needed. As there isn't any electronics in the WRS, there obviously won't be any data transfer. But still the X-shutter is a joy to use, reliable and more precise than a Copal can ever be.

BTW: To use the lens panels safely and avoid damage to the connectors, the WRS body needs to come back to us, to machine a small cavity into it.

Jeffrey

I'm fortunate to own an XT, IQ4-150 achromatic back, and the 32mm Rodenstock lens.

What I like about the XT is the ease in changing the orientation from landscape to portrait without having to remove the back, having everything I need except for the focusing ring shown on the display, having the exposure meter and the histogram on the display, and being able to change the shutter speed and aperture using the hard buttons to the side of the display. Frame averaging with the XT is truly amazing and effortless. Having nearly all of the workflow at the display is a wonderful time saver. Lastly, the camera is so easy to use. I'm very happy with my gear.

This past week I was shooting seascapes along the California (USA) coastline. The camera was simply wonderful. I'll be back out shooting as soon as several favorite locations open again.

As for how many degrees of up/down and sideways movement, tilt/shift, cables, and on and on, I'm not in need of any of these features. I'm far too busy shooting instead of wondering about "what if" or "does the camera have some feature".

Go out and shoot, even if it is using the camera in your cellular telephone. Have fun!

Phase V

I am German and currently also live here. That the XT did not sell well in Germany is due to the fact that only KIT's were for sale here.

Wait a minute, i also was told you have to buy it as a KIT, when i was at a demo
in Munich last year but i thought this was a global thing.
And now Doug is telling us this isn´t the case in US?
Phase One, would you please stop treating your German Customers
like complete idiots, please?

tjv

Phase One might want to stop treating all of their customers outside of the US like complete idiots, to be honest.

I'll qualify that by saying I live in a small market country, but it's no better nearby in Australia. Last time I tried I couldn't even order a battery for my Credo 60 as the distributor only ordered them on a per customer basis once a year...

I asked how much to send my back in for a service to check it's in alignment etc., and they said they couldn't tell me as they'd never done it before and the insurance cost to send it out would be too high – unless they were sending a ton of other gear back with it.

Don't mean to derail the thread, as the XT does look like an interesting camera. 12mm is very marginal for me, so it'd be a no go. It'd need to have 18mm minimum shift on both axis for it to be viable. I could give up tilt, and could make do with the RS HR40mm and HR70mm lenses plus a remounted RS 55mm or SK60mm XL – for panoramic stitching 1:2 with a good amount of rise / fall.

It's all academic though as unless I start pooping gold bricks it ain't just ain't gonna find its way into my bag.

Dreams are free though.

Wait a minute, i also was told you have to buy it as a KIT, when i was at a demo

Cambo

Good to know- does that mean the Cambo WRS camera would have to be sent back to Europe for this machining?
I may be interested in the Rodenstock telephoto XT lens coming out this year. Could you tell us what focal length it will have?

Indeed, that needs to be done here in The Netherlands.
The second question can be answered by Phase One only.

lance_schad

Workshop Member

Since the day the XT was announced it was available as a Bundled Kit w/IQ4-xxx or individually as listed below (I included the recently announced 50mm lens to the listing).

That is very surprising that other dealers across the world were only offering bundles.
Yes, Phase One prioritized orders for Bundled Kits first and then XT standalone systems.
There were and still may be a wait the systems, but from what I have been told the hold up has been Rodenstock (which we are all have become accustomed to across all the tech cam brands from time to time).

Good news is that availability/wait times for stand alone systems and lenses is getting better (at from what we are experiencing a DT) and from time to time we may even have a system on the shelf that a customer may have not been able to accept delivery at that time which we make available for quick delivery.

Phase One XT/IQ Kit Options as listed the pricelist

XT IQ4 150MP including 23mm lens $56,990.00
XT IQ4 150MP including 32mm lens $56,990.00
XT IQ4 150MP including 70mm lens $56,990.00
XT IQ4 100MP Trichromatic including 23mm lens $52,990.00
XT IQ4 100MP Trichromatic including 32mm lens $52,990.00
XT IQ4 100MP Trichromatic including 70mm lens $52,990.00

XT Camera Body $5,990.00
XT - Rodenstock HR Digaron - S 23mm f/5,6 $11,990.00
XT - Rodenstock HR Digaron - W 32mm f/4 $11,990.00
XT - Rodenstock HR Digaron - W 50mm f/4 $11,990.00
XT - Rodenstock HR Digaron - W 70mm f/5,6 $8,990.00

If you may be interested in an XT please reach out via email or pm and we can discuss what may be available for quick ship or what the estimated wait may be.

Also if you would like to hear first hand from at least 3 photographers that have experienced using the Phase One XT (that also have been users of other tech cameras as well) two have been featured in our past Project Lemonade Webinars, Adam Elstien and Jeffrey Totaro and coming up on May 12 is Peter Steinhaur who will be discussing his experience shooting with the XT/IQ4 (he has been a P1/Cambo user for years) as well as using his IQ4-150 for films scanning. You can view the archives and register for Tuesdays webinar here .

Lance

DougDolde

I'm always amazed anyone would drop fifty grand or more on this foofaraw

To quite Thomas Tusser
"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Gerd

Thank you for saying it. I didn't want to say it so clearly ...

Greetings Gerd

tcdeveau

There are some pro architectural photogs I follow on instagram that seem happy with it. I imagine the X-shutter was a big deal for their use with strobes, and movement data embedded in the metadata probably helps with post workflow.

As for lack of user insight here, as it's already been said, most folks here are happy with their existing non-XT tech cam setups (myself included).

Nice to have options and all that though. Looking forward to seeing more info about X-shutter pricing/availability on other lenses/systems when the time comes.

Steve Hendrix

There are some pro architectural photogs I follow on instagram that seem happy with it. I imagine the X-shutter was a big deal for their use with strobes, and movement data embedded in the metadata probably helps with post workflow.

As for lack of user insight here, as it's already been said, most folks here are happy with their existing non-XT tech cam setups (myself included).

Nice to have options and all that though. Looking forward to seeing more info about X-shutter pricing/availability on other lenses/systems when the time comes.

Also, the stated intent of Phase One to attarct new users to the tech camera segment could be a part of this equation. About 50% of my XT orders have come from users who have never owned a tech camera. And they are not participants on this forum.

Sometimes the details matter. I generally believe that Phase One has relatively consistent global policies. It is true that they communicated to dealers that they would prioritize kit deliveries in the early stages. This has been the case with most of their recent product launches, nothing new here. Now, how a dealer communicates this to an end user is another matter. At launch, you could certainly order individual items, say a camera and a lens, but it was likely to take some time to arrive (longer than someone ordering a kit at the same time). This is what the dealer should have communicated.

Steve Hendrix/CI

f8orbust

I see the XT as a bridge camera. Once the ES in the DB hits maturity, and we can get rid of the awkward electronic shutter in the lens, this would be pretty much perfect (or would be with +/- 20mm of rise/fall/shift).

At the minute it all works, but seems a bit 'cobbled together'.

That said, will we ever see a new DB - there's nothing new on the horizon from Sony, and still issues to be sorted with the IQ150 (almost 2 years after launch) - and P1 itself (the company) seems to be struggling with with its future trajectory.

Jim

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Once the ES in the DB hits maturity
A truly global shutter that is effectively instant (1/1000th of a second or faster), does not cause a loss of bit depth or an increase in noise, and appears on a medium format sensor (full frame 645 like P1 or 1.3 crop like X1D/GFX) is, by my estimation, still many years away. So, I agree with you fully, but we probably anticipate very different lengths of time for that "bridge".

In fact, in the long arc of technology, a global shutter is likely just a "bridge" to a fully virtualized shutter and sensor, something I wrote about 12 years ago (though I think my writing style has sharpened somewhat during that time), and may well be common place in my daughter's lifetime. But the thing is, if you want to make art or commerce, you can't do it with future technology; we are all inexorably stuck in the present, and as Captain Picard wisely said "Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again."

At the minute it all works, but seems a bit 'cobbled together'.
Out of curiosity, have you personally spent any meaningful time shooting with an XT? I could accept many criticisms about the XT (no tilt, not as much movement as some other tech cameras), but "cobbled together" is one of the last things I'd say about it, at least as regards the experience of having one in your hands and making images with it.

P1 itself (the company) seems to be struggling with with its future trajectory.
There's a recent two-hour interview with Lau, the Chief Visionary Officer (C-level R+D/product position) of Phase One on our Project lemonade archive you may find interesting. I am extraordinarily biased, but knowing the people in R+D, and having seen what they've done during the 12 years I've been doing this, I am very bullish on the future of Phase One.
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/project-lemonade-webinars/