The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R lock menu/settings?

gurtch

Hi all. Stay safe. My wife and I have been going on photo outings to deserted places. I have been using the Gfx 50R. I struggle with the menu system to get the camera set up the way I prefer it. The camera manual does not even have an index! When I think I have the camera set up to my liking, during a long shooting session (like today), I always seem to inadvertently push a button which fouls up my set up. Today, half way through my photo session, I noticed the LCD screen did not show the image I was photographing. It showed a black screen with all kinds of info, but no image. I still finished my photo session, as I usually use the eye level finder. When I got home I scoured the instruction book to see how to bring back the LCD screen image, but could not find it. Accidentally I fixed it with the DISP BACK button. Every photo session I somehow foul up another setting. Here is my question: Is there a "Magic bullet" setting whereas NOTHING WILL CHANGE until the setting is purposely over ridden? Yes, I am a senior, age 83, so go easy on me please. TIA.
Dave in Nj
MODERN PICTORIALS

rdeloe

Hi all. Stay safe. My wife and I have been going on photo outings to deserted places. I have been using the Gfx 50R. I struggle with the menu system to get the camera set up the way I prefer it. The camera manual does not even have an index! When I think I have the camera set up to my liking, during a long shooting session (like today), I always seem to inadvertently push a button which fouls up my set up. Today, half way through my photo session, I noticed the LCD screen did not show the image I was photographing. It showed a black screen with all kinds of info, but no image. I still finished my photo session, as I usually use the eye level finder. When I got home I scoured the instruction book to see how to bring back the LCD screen image, but could not find it. Accidentally I fixed it with the DISP BACK button. Every photo session I somehow foul up another setting. Here is my question: Is there a "Magic bullet" setting whereas NOTHING WILL CHANGE until the setting is purposely over ridden? Yes, I am a senior, age 83, so go easy on me please. TIA.
Dave in Nj
MODERN PICTORIALS
Dave, I scoured the PDF version of the manual and poked around in the menu. I can't find anything in particular to lock down all your settings. You can save your settings to a computer, but it's involved (and won't do you any good in the field).

I'm not 83, but I forget where things are too. My solution is what Len Metcalf calls "camera cuddling". When I'm learning a camera, I have it near me during the day and I pick it up and use it frequently; if I'm watching TV I might be playing with the settings, exploring the menus, etc. I also assign as many things as I can to buttons and gestures (when there's a touch screen) and then avoid the menu.

Regarding the index and the manual, do you use Adobe Acrobat? You can create your own personal index with Acrobat by using the "Advanced Search" function. It pops up a separate window in which you can enter search terms. Clicking on each entry will jump to the spot in the PDF where that entry is located. The downside is both "lock" and "menu" are common words so you get 100s of results (very tedious).

Satrycon

i haven't used this but, pressing and holding the MENU/OK button activates a control lock - same to unlock... & you can customize which features are locked as well

Dave in Nj
MODERN PICTORIALS

rdeloe

i haven't used this but, pressing and holding the MENU/OK button activates a control lock - same to unlock... & you can customize which features are locked as well
I never understood the point of that feature. It locks the joystick, but you can still do everything else (get into the menu, change things, press the other buttons).

Features like that are available, I presume, because someone needed them...

pesto

For what it is worth, I have the very same maddening problem with my GFX 100 and its manual as well. The 50s is a much more intuitive design and, from my perspective, they should have simply put the new sensor into the old body and been done with it; the 100 seems a bit overwrought to me.