The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

D&A

Ed, Good to hear repairs to your 645Z are almost completed and will then be on its way back to you. I'm actually quite surprised at the speed of the turnaround, especially in these times of Covid. I would have anticipated it taking much longer. Have to give hats off to all those involved in assisting with this repair. Thanks for this "good news" update!!

Dave (D&A)

ErikKaffehr

Sadly no - I don't have back-up gear. My old 645D is in Europe (at my Mum's house) and I can't otherwise afford to run more than one medium format camera. In fact, even one is a stretch ;-). (Not that the 'D' would allow me to do my astro work anyway)

That's one reason getting this sorted out quickly has been such a stress for me.

Still, light at the end of the tunnel!
Sad to hear!

I used to love your images. Hopefully your 645Z will be back soon. I have been fortunate to have very few equipment failures and always have some back up around.

Best regards
Erik

Ed Hurst

Sad to hear!

I used to love your images. Hopefully your 645Z will be back soon. I have been fortunate to have very few equipment failures and always have some back up around.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks so much, mate. Truly appreciated.

I expect to have it by the end of this week, which is astonishing... So normal service should be resumed soon...

Ed Hurst

Camera received back with me today! One month and three days after the problem occurred, during which time it's been sent Sydney - Melbourne (to C.R. Kennedy), assessed, sent on to the Philippines (via a couple of Asian stopovers), passed through Philippines Customs, received by Pentax there, assessed, quoted for, repaired, sent back to Melbourne, passed through Australian Customs, received by C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne and then sent Melbourne - Sydney. Quite remarkable, and all in the middle of a major pandemic.

I haven't had chance to test it or find out if the shutter count has been reset (I will update on that when I can, perhaps this evening). But what an achievement... Hats off to everyone involved.

Ed Hurst

Wowzers - maybe I got excited too soon :-(

I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???

Michiel Schierbeek

Wowzers - maybe I got excited too soon :-(

I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???
What a drag. First a bit counterwise? Carefully with some sort of plier.... It is pasttic, I presume, so it will always be weaker as the mount....although you could break the release button. May be the button is stuck. I am thinking up loud now....First try to move the cap left and right to get the relaese up

Ed Hurst

What a drag. First a bit counterwise? Carefully with some sort of plier.... It is pasttic, I presume, so it will always be weaker as the mount....although you could break the release button. May be the button is stuck. I am thinking up loud now....First try to move the cap left and right to get the relaese up
Thank you, Michiel. I appreciate the ideas - I am going slightly mad trying to solve this. It's utterly infuriating!

I have tried what you suggested, or a simple version of it with my bare hands (I don't have a suitable tool, it's night time here, so I can't get one). Have pushed in the button and jogged the cap back and forth in the hope of releasing the button. No luck yet...

But thank you all the same!

Ed

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you, Michiel. I appreciate the ideas - I am going slightly mad trying to solve this. It's utterly infuriating!

I have tried what you suggested, or a simple version of it with my bare hands (I don't have a suitable tool, it's night time here, so I can't get one). Have pushed in the button and jogged the cap back and forth in the hope of releasing the button. No luck yet...

But thank you all the same!

Ed
Or send Pentax a mail. May be they have the trick. Or go to a good camerashop.

Ed Hurst

Or send Pentax a mail. May be they have the trick. Or go to a good camerashop.
Thanks again. I'll do just that in the morning (go to a camera repair place that I know). They might be able to assist somehow... They must get this sort of thing all the time. Heck, they can cut the cap off for all I care, as long as the camera itself isn't damaged.

pegelli

Ed, that's bad luck, hope you get the cap off without too much further trouble.

If they can't get it off and have to "destroy" the plastic body cap be careful mounting a lens for the first time, there still might be something misplaced in the camera mount that's causing the trouble and you don't want to get a lens stuck on there.

D&A

Ed, that's bad luck, hope you get the cap off without too much further trouble.

If they can't get it off and have to "destroy" the plastic body cap be careful mounting a lens for the first time, there still might be something misplaced in the camera mount that's causing the trouble and you don't want to get a lens stuck on there.
Hi Ed. Sorry to hear about this bit of bad luck but it could have been worse, such as the shutter wasn't repaired correctly or something else more serious. In any case I agree with Pagelli. Whomever manages to get it off, I would suggest first mounting another body cap to the lens mount, just in case it gets stuck again. A plastic cap can always be cut off, whereas an actual stuck lens would be very problematic. It's just a guess, but for whatever reason, depressing the lens release button either is either not moving the release tab/pin in the downward direction enough to release the cap or alternatively not moving at all as though its disengaged, which is hard to imagine. Hope its resolved in short order.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

Ed, bad luck, bordering on the "cruel twist of fate" type. I once had a 67 cap get jammed when one of the metal tabs was bent. I eventually cut it off with a saw and a Dremel tool. Not recommended, but it worked. Should you find that method a last resort, be sure to have the body face down, so that bits of plastic fall away and not into the body cavity. You likely know this given how long you,ve had the camera, but I'll mention it anyway. The lens release button is slightly recessed and I must push it with my finger perfectly perpendicular to the body to get a release. The 645 film bodies have a more protruding button to which I was accustomed. When I first got a 645D, I was unable to release the lens and was concerned I had a defective body until I realized I had to depress the the button deeper. You might try pushing the release and pulling up (toward the top of the camera, not away) and rotating the cap at the same time since the body release tab is at he bottom of the lens mount.
Good luck

Tom

Shashin

Air pressure? Could opening the card slot door work to change the pressure differential?

Also, we pinch caps when using our hands. Perhaps placing a rubber pad on a flat surface and then placing the camera on it to rotate the cap might work. (That idea is even more far fetched--that it usually a problem with filter rings.)

Let us know how this works out.

Paul2660

Sounds like air pressure for sure. Similar issue will happen with a pelican box if you carry it on a pressurized cabin in a plane. If you don't use the "pressure relief valve", you literally won't be able to open it. Just releasing the pressure makes it possible to open a box that before would not budge.

You might try drilling a tiny hole into the center of the cap, that's all it would take to release the pressure and it might un screw, and it would not ruin the cap.

Due to the weather seals on the P645, it's very likely you have a pressure issue.

Hope that is all it is.

Paul C

Shashin

Sounds like air pressure for sure. Similar issue will happen with a pelican box if you carry it on a pressurized cabin in a plane. If you don't use the "pressure relief valve", you literally won't be able to open it. Just releasing the pressure makes it possible to open a box that before would not budge.

You might try drilling a tiny hole into the center of the cap, that's all it would take to release the pressure and it might un screw, and it would not ruin the cap.

Due to the weather seals on the P645, it's very likely you have a pressure issue.

Hope that is all it is.

Paul C
I might just start with opening the card door on the camera. Not sure about the fun of cleaning out the plastic debris from drilling. :bugeyes: I think simply releasing the exterior seals, pressure in the camera should equalize. I doubt the mirror box is sealed internally. The drilling of the cap might be a last resort.

B L

ED, send a complain email to Pentax HQ, ask for compensation for waste of time. You did enough to solve and no need to use drills and hammers because that might go against you. Incase if you have to send it again.
We all miss your unique photography.

Paul2660

Beauty of drilling plastic is most will wrap up around the drill bit. Lot different than wood or metal.

Hope he gets it open.

Paul C

tsjanik

I might just start with opening the card door on the camera. Not sure about the fun of cleaning out the plastic debris from drilling. :bugeyes: I think simply releasing the exterior seals, pressure in the camera should equalize. I doubt the mirror box is sealed internally. The drilling of the cap might be a last resort.
Easy method to test without cutting. Pressure difference sounds reasonable, but the body cap has no gasket (unlike the new lenses) and has some free play when attached. It's possible the the inside of the camera is at a low pressure (from the aircraft trip) and as external atmospheric pressure increased on descent, the cap was pressed against the body enough to form a seal. Can't wait to hear the solution .

rdeloe

Easy method to test without cutting. Pressure difference sounds reasonable, but the body cap has no gasket (unlike the new lenses) and has some free play when attached. It's possible the the inside of the camera is at a low pressure (from the aircraft trip) and as external atmospheric pressure increased on descent, the cap was pressed against the body enough to form a seal. Can't wait to hear the solution .
If that's the case, then the same technique that can be used to open a jar of jam should work. With a jam jar, I slip a thin-bladed knife tip under the lid and gently pry to allow a bit of air to get in and break the seal. Were I in Ed's shoes, I might try that before drilling.

Drilling done carefully with a very fine bit would be my next step. To ensure that I didn't slip and push the bit too far into the sensor cavity, I would do it by hand. The body cap is plastic, so holding the bit in my fingers and turning it slowly with some pressure would work it into the plastic safely.

Ed Hurst

Thank you everybody for your wonderful help and ideas.

This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.

[/url]20200612_093735 by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]