Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 60

Thread: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Hello all,

    Today, I was out in my local area, when my Pentax 645Z stopped working properly. The camera is still electronically alive, but it will no longer successfully capture an image - just a blank file. Live view also produces a blank screen.

    I don't know if this suggests a dead shutter, a dead sensor or something else (is the shutter involved in live view?).

    Any advice eagerly sought! Especially since, at this time, getting it looked at and repaired from Australia may prove difficult.

    In the meantime, no camera!

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    That hurts Ed, nothing funny about a dead camera, especially if you don't have another one.

    To troubleshoot if it's the shutter (might be stuck close) or the sensor/connection of the sensor to the board try to look inside without a lens on "Bulb"
    If you see the shutter closed it's a sutter failure, if you see the sensor it's the sensor/electronics at fault.

    Unfortunately I have no advice what to do in either case other than send it in for a repair.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Tough break Ed. It seems if the shutter isn't opening you would notice the lack of noise during an exposure (it isn't the quietest shutter after all). You could simply set the camera to B and without a lens , take an exposure and watch to see if the shutter opens and the mirror is raised. Light must strike the sensor for live view to work. If both the mirror and shutter are operating normally, then it must be something with the sensor or downstream electronics. If you haven't yet, remove and then reinsert the battery - seems to fix lots of problems. Good luck,
    Tom

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Hi Ed,

    Truly sorry to hear about the issues. In addition to all suggested, I would do the following, even if it doesn't make sense.

    I would clean the lens contacts on the camera body, use a different battery (see below) and SD card, and then try camera with both a newer lenses like the DA 28-45 and also a legacy lens like the FA 45-85. Lastly try with a all mechanical Manual Focus lens. When you pull the battery to insert a different battery, I would turn the body to the "on" position without a battery and wait 30 seconds, then insert a different battery and turn camera on. There is a sound reason for this.

    I hope following previous advice as well as that in this post, yields something positive.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 8th May 2020 at 18:35.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    My heartfelt thanks to you all for your wonderful replies, sympathy and ideas to assist. I have been asleep since posting my message, dreaming dark dreams of a world without a camera!

    I will try out the ideas and suggestions above today (when the kids allow it!) and report back.

    You guys are all amazing :-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Right, having followed all of the guidance above, I think I have established that the problem is the shutter not opening. The camera functions electronically. The display works well for reviewing older images. The mirror opens and closes as normal. But the shutter is utterly motionless. So the repair seems do-able. The only thing is that getting these things fixed from Australia takes an extended period, even in normal times - let alone during a pandemic. So we shall see how long I am without it in this case... I am assuming that C.R. Kennedy is my only option in Australia (acting as Pentax's agent) to get this repaired.

    Thanks everyone again for your magnificent advice and support. I am feeling slightly calmer now than I did last night, though I will be without my beloved camera for an unknown period of time...

    By the way, to answer the questions above about what happened, I was shooting the moon and a coastal scene near by my home. The camera was working as normal for various shots, then - without warning - the camera simply stopped recording anything other than apparently blank files. The sound changed (I now realise it was the absence of shutter noise, though the mirror still worked). I tried with and without cable release, I demounted and remounted the lens (and tried other lenses), I removed the battery and replaced it, I took the memory cards out and replaced them with others. All to no avail. I now realise why...

  7. #7
    Senior Member AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Good luck with the repair Ed, hope you are not out of action too long. (the withdrawal symptoms do subside a bit after a while)!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    This firm in UK should do the service >>>
    Asahi Photo

    020 8560 6856
    Wishing your camera back in action.
    Last edited by B L; 9th May 2020 at 06:56. Reason: added phone contact

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    I do feel your anguish Ed. It was worth a try, attempting everything suggested. One or more of those procedures have in the past have rescued a number of electronic cameras that appeared to become non-functional and addressing the fault. I know in the past, it was possible to actually send Pentax equipment directly to Pentax Japan (which I have done on occasion), but since their acquisition by Ricoh, I'm not sure if that main service center is still functioning. I know a few people who sent their Pentax 645D bodies to them (in Japan) when the sensor (which is comprised of two sections), would visually show a vertical line demarking these sensor sections in their images and required a sensor replacement. I don't know if it would even be economically feasible to send it to Pentax directly or whether the local agent might actually do the same for you as opposed to it being repaired locally. It probably depends on parts availability and whether it's more of a mechanical repair (shutter needs replacing) or whether it's on the electronic side of things that control the shutter opening and closing. All conjecture on my part but I know you want to get back to shooting as soon as possible. Please keep us posted.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th May 2020 at 07:19.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quick update for anyone who might find this useful...

    C.R. Kennedy (the agent who acts for Pentax in Australia) have been very efficient, helpful and communicative so far. The camera was sent directly to their H.Q. in Melbourne (to save time going via their Sydney office). Within a day of receipt, they had assessed it and advised that, as suspected, it needs a new shutter (and associated work - gears, etc.) - which isn't a job they can handle within Australia. So, off to the Phillipines it had to go.

    They shipped it the following day. It took rather a circuitous route with DHL (due to the impact of Covid-19 on flights), but it got to the Pentax facility about 10 days later (which I consider not bad under the circumstances). Two days later, they had assessed the problem (which was just as expected), quoted me and agreed to do the work. Throughout all this, C.R. Kennedy have been very good, keeping me informed (even of progress with DHL).

    The cost is AU$935.00 all in (including supplying a new eye cup and the required ring to attach it).

    So far, so good. It's a pity Pentax isn't set up to do repairs like this within Australia, which would speed things up considerably, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What I don't know yet is how long the repair itself will take, and the shipping back to me. I'll keep you all informed.
    Last edited by Ed Hurst; 31st May 2020 at 16:44.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Ed, Thanks so much for the detailed update and although its never pleasant when such repairs are necessary, I'm glad to hear there's been timely progress. Here in the States, there is a third party representative that handles Pentax repairs but based on past reports, most 645D and 645Z needing major service must be shipped out. It used to head back to Japan but I wonder if the repair facility in the Philippines, is now the sole repair center for medium format equipment? So much has changed from the past when the Pentax corporation was located in Colorado (U.S.). In any case I hope repairs on your camera proceed quickly.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Ed, Thanks so much for the detailed update and although its never pleasant when such repairs are necessary, I'm glad to hear there's been timely progress. Here in the States, there is a third party representative that handles Pentax repairs but based on past reports, most 645D and 645Z needing major service must be shipped out. It used to head back to Japan but I wonder if the repair facility in the Philippines, is now the sole repair center for medium format equipment? So much has changed from the past when the Pentax corporation was located in Colorado (U.S.). In any case I hope repairs on your camera proceed quickly.

    Dave (D&A)
    Yes, I remember back in the day, I was living in the UK and using two Pentax 67ii's, with various lenses. If I had any issue, needed it servicing, etc., I just popped into the service facility in Slough. They had technicians, equipment and parts on-site. They could do whatever was required themselves and if I needed to chat to the people doing the work, there they were. Stuff got done, people felt connected, little wrinkles and decisions could be chatted through. The result? Efficient work, a sense of being looked after/understood.

    It's how a professional service, supporting professional people using professional gear, ought to work. At least in a developed country.

    I miss that. Badly.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Yes, I remember back in the day, I was living in the UK and using two Pentax 67ii's, with various lenses. If I had any issue, needed it servicing, etc., I just popped into the service facility in Slough. They had technicians, equipment and parts on-site. They could do whatever was required themselves and if I needed to chat to the people doing the work, there they were. Stuff got done, people felt connected, little wrinkles and decisions could be chatted through. The result? Efficient work, a sense of being looked after/understood.

    It's how a professional service, supporting professional people using professional gear, ought to work. At least in a developed country.

    I miss that. Badly.
    Ed, you've described to a "T" exactly how Pentax U.S.A. performed service in Estes Park, Colorado. They were also the main importer and distributor for the Pentax corporation. Only on one occasion (for myself) did they have to send a particular lens back to Japan for disassembly and a complete rebuild. It was one of their most exotic lenses at that time...the Pentax SMCT 15mm f3.5 lens. It was manufactured with one of the aspherical elements completely decentered. Still it only took 4 weeks round trip to have it back in my hands. Everything else was done in the U.S.A.. For quite a few years I had a close working relationship with them and their engineering dept. and it wasn't unusual to modify a piece of equipment for "one off use" in a particular shooting environment or situation. Discussions and feedback was provided. This occurred on a "as need" basis. In the waning days just prior to takeover by Ricoh, key staff was let go and the facility downsized in quick order till it was no more. Since then, Pentax has never been the same, unfortunately. Pentax Corp in Japan (Asahi Optical) was a family owned company I believe founded in 1919 and had a strong relationship with their employees and customers but economic hardship necessitated their selling the business from what I understand. Oh, loved the 67II's. Always dreamed that one day they would make a digital version of that body.

    Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Oh, loved the 67II's. Always dreamed that one day they would make a digital version of that body.

    Dave (D&A)
    Me too, Dave! I guess it's a vain hope now... But wouldn't it be smashing?
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Me too, Dave! I guess it's a vain hope now... But wouldn't it be smashing?
    Absolutely! I have a feeling we're not alone in this wishful thinking.

    Dave (D&A)

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Absolutely! I have a feeling we're not alone in this wishful thinking.

    Dave (D&A)
    Super high resolution and 'fat pixels' all in one ;-)
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Super high resolution and 'fat pixels' all in one ;-)
    Love it Ed! I say lets start a collection for development. Maybe we can call on Elon Musk...I hear he has a few extra dollars to invest on big dreams .

    Dave (D&A)

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    My amazingly positive experience of C.R. Kennedy (the repair representatives for Pentax in Australia) continues...

    Today, I received this message from them:
    "This repair will be completed on 8th June and will ship on 8th or 9th June."

    Pretty swift repair and excellent communication. I am most grateful to the specific people who have been in contact with me, who have been extremely good. Just have to hope the shipping itself is fairly quick too.

    Overall, I think the process has been smoother than I dared hope for, especially in current circumstances.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Quick update for anyone who might find this useful...

    C.R. Kennedy (the agent who acts for Pentax in Australia) have been very efficient, helpful and communicative so far. The camera was sent directly to their H.Q. in Melbourne (to save time going via their Sydney office). Within a day of receipt, they had assessed it and advised that, as suspected, it needs a new shutter (and associated work - gears, etc.) - which isn't a job they can handle within Australia. So, off to the Phillipines it had to go.

    They shipped it the following day. It took rather a circuitous route with DHL (due to the impact of Covid-19 on flights), but it got to the Pentax facility about 10 days later (which I consider not bad under the circumstances). Two days later, they had assessed the problem (which was just as expected), quoted me and agreed to do the work. Throughout all this, C.R. Kennedy have been very good, keeping me informed (even of progress with DHL).

    The cost is AU$935.00 all in (including supplying a new eye cup and the required ring to attach it).

    So far, so good. It's a pity Pentax isn't set up to do repairs like this within Australia, which would speed things up considerably, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What I don't know yet is how long the repair itself will take, and the shipping back to me. I'll keep you all informed.
    Hi Ed,

    Good to hear. Cost seems acceptable. Hope you have some back up gear!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Erik

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi Ed,

    Good to hear. Cost seems acceptable. Hope you have some back up gear!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Erik
    Sadly no - I don't have back-up gear. My old 645D is in Europe (at my Mum's house) and I can't otherwise afford to run more than one medium format camera. In fact, even one is a stretch ;-). (Not that the 'D' would allow me to do my astro work anyway)

    That's one reason getting this sorted out quickly has been such a stress for me.

    Still, light at the end of the tunnel!

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Ed, Good to hear repairs to your 645Z are almost completed and will then be on its way back to you. I'm actually quite surprised at the speed of the turnaround, especially in these times of Covid. I would have anticipated it taking much longer. Have to give hats off to all those involved in assisting with this repair. Thanks for this "good news" update!!

    Dave (D&A)

  22. #22
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Sadly no - I don't have back-up gear. My old 645D is in Europe (at my Mum's house) and I can't otherwise afford to run more than one medium format camera. In fact, even one is a stretch ;-). (Not that the 'D' would allow me to do my astro work anyway)

    That's one reason getting this sorted out quickly has been such a stress for me.

    Still, light at the end of the tunnel!
    Sad to hear!

    I used to love your images. Hopefully your 645Z will be back soon. I have been fortunate to have very few equipment failures and always have some back up around.

    Best regards
    Erik

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Sad to hear!

    I used to love your images. Hopefully your 645Z will be back soon. I have been fortunate to have very few equipment failures and always have some back up around.

    Best regards
    Erik

    Thanks so much, mate. Truly appreciated.

    I expect to have it by the end of this week, which is astonishing... So normal service should be resumed soon...

  24. #24
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Camera received back with me today! One month and three days after the problem occurred, during which time it's been sent Sydney - Melbourne (to C.R. Kennedy), assessed, sent on to the Philippines (via a couple of Asian stopovers), passed through Philippines Customs, received by Pentax there, assessed, quoted for, repaired, sent back to Melbourne, passed through Australian Customs, received by C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne and then sent Melbourne - Sydney. Quite remarkable, and all in the middle of a major pandemic.

    I haven't had chance to test it or find out if the shutter count has been reset (I will update on that when I can, perhaps this evening). But what an achievement... Hats off to everyone involved.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Wowzers - maybe I got excited too soon :-(

    I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Wowzers - maybe I got excited too soon :-(

    I finally had the chance to unpack the camera and test it... And guess what? I can't get the body cap off... Am pressing the release button and the cap won't budge. Not sure what could be causing that. Don't think the cap looks cross-threaded or pushed in somehow from a blow in transit on its way back to me. Am hoping it's just some minor reluctance which can be freed with a knack. Any suggestions anyone???
    What a drag. First a bit counterwise? Carefully with some sort of plier.... It is pasttic, I presume, so it will always be weaker as the mount....although you could break the release button. May be the button is stuck. I am thinking up loud now....First try to move the cap left and right to get the relaese up
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    What a drag. First a bit counterwise? Carefully with some sort of plier.... It is pasttic, I presume, so it will always be weaker as the mount....although you could break the release button. May be the button is stuck. I am thinking up loud now....First try to move the cap left and right to get the relaese up
    Thank you, Michiel. I appreciate the ideas - I am going slightly mad trying to solve this. It's utterly infuriating!

    I have tried what you suggested, or a simple version of it with my bare hands (I don't have a suitable tool, it's night time here, so I can't get one). Have pushed in the button and jogged the cap back and forth in the hope of releasing the button. No luck yet...

    But thank you all the same!

    Ed

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Thank you, Michiel. I appreciate the ideas - I am going slightly mad trying to solve this. It's utterly infuriating!

    I have tried what you suggested, or a simple version of it with my bare hands (I don't have a suitable tool, it's night time here, so I can't get one). Have pushed in the button and jogged the cap back and forth in the hope of releasing the button. No luck yet...

    But thank you all the same!

    Ed
    Or send Pentax a mail. May be they have the trick. Or go to a good camerashop.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Or send Pentax a mail. May be they have the trick. Or go to a good camerashop.
    Thanks again. I'll do just that in the morning (go to a camera repair place that I know). They might be able to assist somehow... They must get this sort of thing all the time. Heck, they can cut the cap off for all I care, as long as the camera itself isn't damaged.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Ed, that's bad luck, hope you get the cap off without too much further trouble.

    If they can't get it off and have to "destroy" the plastic body cap be careful mounting a lens for the first time, there still might be something misplaced in the camera mount that's causing the trouble and you don't want to get a lens stuck on there.

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Ed, that's bad luck, hope you get the cap off without too much further trouble.

    If they can't get it off and have to "destroy" the plastic body cap be careful mounting a lens for the first time, there still might be something misplaced in the camera mount that's causing the trouble and you don't want to get a lens stuck on there.
    Hi Ed. Sorry to hear about this bit of bad luck but it could have been worse, such as the shutter wasn't repaired correctly or something else more serious. In any case I agree with Pagelli. Whomever manages to get it off, I would suggest first mounting another body cap to the lens mount, just in case it gets stuck again. A plastic cap can always be cut off, whereas an actual stuck lens would be very problematic. It's just a guess, but for whatever reason, depressing the lens release button either is either not moving the release tab/pin in the downward direction enough to release the cap or alternatively not moving at all as though its disengaged, which is hard to imagine. Hope its resolved in short order.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 11th June 2020 at 08:00.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Ed, bad luck, bordering on the "cruel twist of fate" type. I once had a 67 cap get jammed when one of the metal tabs was bent. I eventually cut it off with a saw and a Dremel tool. Not recommended, but it worked. Should you find that method a last resort, be sure to have the body face down, so that bits of plastic fall away and not into the body cavity. You likely know this given how long you,ve had the camera, but I'll mention it anyway. The lens release button is slightly recessed and I must push it with my finger perfectly perpendicular to the body to get a release. The 645 film bodies have a more protruding button to which I was accustomed. When I first got a 645D, I was unable to release the lens and was concerned I had a defective body until I realized I had to depress the the button deeper. You might try pushing the release and pulling up (toward the top of the camera, not away) and rotating the cap at the same time since the body release tab is at he bottom of the lens mount.
    Good luck

    Tom

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Air pressure? Could opening the card slot door work to change the pressure differential?

    Also, we pinch caps when using our hands. Perhaps placing a rubber pad on a flat surface and then placing the camera on it to rotate the cap might work. (That idea is even more far fetched--that it usually a problem with filter rings.)

    Let us know how this works out.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Sounds like air pressure for sure. Similar issue will happen with a pelican box if you carry it on a pressurized cabin in a plane. If you don't use the "pressure relief valve", you literally won't be able to open it. Just releasing the pressure makes it possible to open a box that before would not budge.

    You might try drilling a tiny hole into the center of the cap, that's all it would take to release the pressure and it might un screw, and it would not ruin the cap.

    Due to the weather seals on the P645, it's very likely you have a pressure issue.

    Hope that is all it is.

    Paul C

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Sounds like air pressure for sure. Similar issue will happen with a pelican box if you carry it on a pressurized cabin in a plane. If you don't use the "pressure relief valve", you literally won't be able to open it. Just releasing the pressure makes it possible to open a box that before would not budge.

    You might try drilling a tiny hole into the center of the cap, that's all it would take to release the pressure and it might un screw, and it would not ruin the cap.

    Due to the weather seals on the P645, it's very likely you have a pressure issue.

    Hope that is all it is.

    Paul C
    I might just start with opening the card door on the camera. Not sure about the fun of cleaning out the plastic debris from drilling. I think simply releasing the exterior seals, pressure in the camera should equalize. I doubt the mirror box is sealed internally. The drilling of the cap might be a last resort.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    ED, send a complain email to Pentax HQ, ask for compensation for waste of time. You did enough to solve and no need to use drills and hammers because that might go against you. Incase if you have to send it again.
    We all miss your unique photography.

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Beauty of drilling plastic is most will wrap up around the drill bit. Lot different than wood or metal.

    Hope he gets it open.

    Paul C

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I might just start with opening the card door on the camera. Not sure about the fun of cleaning out the plastic debris from drilling. I think simply releasing the exterior seals, pressure in the camera should equalize. I doubt the mirror box is sealed internally. The drilling of the cap might be a last resort.
    Easy method to test without cutting. Pressure difference sounds reasonable, but the body cap has no gasket (unlike the new lenses) and has some free play when attached. It's possible the the inside of the camera is at a low pressure (from the aircraft trip) and as external atmospheric pressure increased on descent, the cap was pressed against the body enough to form a seal. Can't wait to hear the solution .

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Easy method to test without cutting. Pressure difference sounds reasonable, but the body cap has no gasket (unlike the new lenses) and has some free play when attached. It's possible the the inside of the camera is at a low pressure (from the aircraft trip) and as external atmospheric pressure increased on descent, the cap was pressed against the body enough to form a seal. Can't wait to hear the solution .
    If that's the case, then the same technique that can be used to open a jar of jam should work. With a jam jar, I slip a thin-bladed knife tip under the lid and gently pry to allow a bit of air to get in and break the seal. Were I in Ed's shoes, I might try that before drilling.

    Drilling done carefully with a very fine bit would be my next step. To ensure that I didn't slip and push the bit too far into the sensor cavity, I would do it by hand. The body cap is plastic, so holding the bit in my fingers and turning it slowly with some pressure would work it into the plastic safely.

  40. #40
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Thank you everybody for your wonderful help and ideas.

    This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

    I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.

    [IMG]20200612_093735 by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Thank you everybody for your wonderful help and ideas.

    This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

    I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.

    [IMG]20200612_093735 by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
    That is beyond disappointing. I'm so sorry to see that Ed. I've never had to recover money from a shipper. I hope you get full satisfaction.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Thank you everybody for your wonderful help and ideas.

    This morning (Aus time), I took the camera to a local camera shop to see if they could remove the body cap for me. This they did. When it was removed, the reason for the stuck cap became very clear... The lens mount on the camera is badly bent. This has to be due to a heavy knock in transit. The Pentax repair facility in the Philippines must have had the cap off and mounted a lens to test the camera after the repair, so it cannot have been damaged at that time. But it was as soon as I received it - ergo, in can only have occurred in transit.

    I am beyond frustrated by this. Having received such a good service throughout the whole process and got so excited about being back in action, it's quite a blow.
    Very sorry to see this. I wonder how could this happen without damage appearing on the body cap or the shipping container?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    I too am very sorry to hear about this Ed. As Tom mentioned, its hard to understand how this happened during transit (if no apparent damage appears on the outer shipping box). I assume a fair amount of shipping material surrounded the camera body. It's purely conjecture on my part but I wonder if after the repair was completed at the repair facility, the body was handed off to another "packing department" at the same facility who's sole responsibility is prepare items for shipping. It's there that somehow the camera was knocked/dropped and was quickly packed up in the shipping parcel....or alternatively, an accident happened when the camera was received back at the distributor who prepared it for shipping back to you. I would assume the distributor would be responsible for sorting this out but in any case we can all understand the disappointment you feel. I just hope its taken care of swiftly and in a timely manor.

    Dave (D&A)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Saugeen Peninsula, Ontario
    Posts
    2,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Camera received back with me today! One month and three days after the problem occurred, during which time it's been sent Sydney - Melbourne (to C.R. Kennedy), assessed, sent on to the Philippines (via a couple of Asian stopovers), passed through Philippines Customs, received by Pentax there, assessed, quoted for, repaired, sent back to Melbourne, passed through Australian Customs, received by C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne and then sent Melbourne - Sydney. Quite remarkable, and all in the middle of a major pandemic.

    I haven't had chance to test it or find out if the shutter count has been reset (I will update on that when I can, perhaps this evening). But what an achievement... Hats off to everyone involved.
    Very glad to hear this, Ed! Now go shooting....
    Bill

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Saugeen Peninsula, Ontario
    Posts
    2,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Now I've read your latest note, I withdraw my "very glad" to read "very sad". Life just isn't fair sometimes. I do hope the mount is repaired quickly.
    Bill
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  46. #46
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Thanks for your messages of support guys. I have to confess, I am utterly banjaxed by this turn of events. It's that feeling of being impotent in the face of capricious fate that I cannot cope with - all I can do is send it right back to C.R. Kennedy and wait an unknown amount of time for a resolution while numerous photographic opportunities pass me by... That's what's killing me!

    Re. liability and who might help, to their credit, C.R. Kennedy are taking full responsibility for this damage. Whether the damage occurred while it was directly with them (which seems highly unlikely), with Pentax in the Philippines, while being shipped from Pentax to C.R. Kennedy or while being shipped from C.R. Kennedy to me, all of those options lie within the responsibility that C.R. Kennedy have to me; my responsibility only starts after I receive it. They are acting as Pentax's agent; all shipping was organised either by them or by Pentax. So, however the damage exactly took place, it seems to have been accepted by C.R. Kennedy that it's in no way my responsibility. C.R. Kennedy are responsible to me. No doubt, Pentax, courier companies and others are responsible to them (but that's not my affair).

    The box that arrived at my end was externally in good order, though perhaps a little flimsy (both the box itself and the amount of bubble wrap inside it). It looked like a box that C.R. Kennedy had provided for the final Melbourne - Sydney leg. Maybe the box used from the Philippines to Melbourne had been damaged and no one thought anything of it while unpacking it. Or damage may have been done within the Pentax or C.R. Kennedy facilities...

    However, it remains a mystery how the camera itself could have been so badly damaged in this way; if it happened before the body cap went on, how (and why) did they attach it to a bent mount?; if it happened after the body cap went on, why are there no marks on the cap, from what must have been a severe blow?

    It would be grossly unreasonable for C.R. Kennedy to ask me to take this up with the couriers that they engaged, with Pentax, or with the couriers that Pentax engaged. Thankfully, there's no suggestion of that. So I really have no complaints as far as taking responsibility is concerned. My main concern is that the bloody camera is still not with me! As we speak, it's on its way back to C.R. Kennedy in Melbourne, so we shall see what transpires. They can replace a lens mount themselves. If that's all that's damaged, I may have it back fairly soon. If there is damage to parts other than the mount (which is possible/probable, given the obvious force involved in the impact), they may or may not have to send it to the Philippines again. And then, God knows how long I will continue to be without it...

    Meanwhile, there is (of course) a very good forecast for astro photography for Sunday and Monday nights and I will be missing that. Who could ever compensate me for lost pictures that I will never get to take?

    Ed

  47. #47
    Senior Member AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Oh Ed! Looking at the pic, I think you may be "lucky" in that it is only the mount that is damaged so should be straight forward for them to replace. There appears to be no damage to the body. I do hope this is the case and you are up and running soon!
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  48. #48
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Ed, if there is one good thing to come out of all this, its that C.R. Kennedy is taking responsibility to get this rectified and in no way suggesting that you're responsible either for the damage nor for being responsible to assess who's responsible and take appropriate action. That says a lot about C.R. Kennedy and being a standup distributor. Of course its no consolation for the missed photographic opportunities lost but just hoping that its simply the mount that needs replacing and not any underlying parts or structure requiring a trip back to the Pentax repair facility. Fingers crossed that you have your camera back in your hands in short order.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 12th June 2020 at 04:44.

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Terrible disappointment Ed! I hope the body is still oké and only the metal mount has to be replaced otherwise they have to replace the camera for a new one. You are such a great signboard for Pentax!
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 12th June 2020 at 04:00.

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

    Just a thought, perhaps a crazy one, is there any possibility that wherever ED's Pentax ended up for service/repair, they (by mistake) might have returned a camera which was already there with a stuck body cap ! ED, we are all with you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •