The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50R

Don Libby

Dante struck again when Fuji offered the GFX50R at a $1,000 savings.

I got the 50R yesterday and compare it to what I remember of the Leica M9 I had a couple years ago. Both have a similar design of a brick with the M9 slightly smaller and less weight. It all evens out with the larger sensor and 51 vs 18 megapixels. The ISO range is much better as well.

I ordered the 50mm pancake as an afterthought and won't see that until tomorrow; in the meantime I've raided the lenses for the GFX100 and have been using the 45mm for testing.

I wouldn't have thought about this camera while I still had the 50S as it was just too similar. However now that I have the GFX100 I can see the 50R as a nice companion for when I want to go smaller and lighter.

The great thing about this setup is that I don't need to have any other lenses as what I have fits both the 100 and 50.

Nice to know that Dante is still speaking to me..:ROTFL:

med

Enjoy the combo of the GFX 50R and 50! I decided that the GFX100 was not for me for a variety of reasons but was pleasantly surprised with the GF 50, especially at the price Fuji has been selling it this year! I set my expectations low due to reports of soft corners but did not have any issues with its performance at all, and really liked its rendering, which I found a bit "Leica like". I can see myself picking up a 50r with a GF 50 sometime in the future.

jng

Hi Don,

Clearly, it takes more than a pandemic to interfere with Dante's work. You are now a proud member of the 150 Mp club! :ROTFL:

John

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Enjoy the combo of the GFX 50R and 50! I decided that the GFX100 was not for me for a variety of reasons but was pleasantly surprised with the GF 50, especially at the price Fuji has been selling it this year! I set my expectations low due to reports of soft corners but did not have any issues with its performance at all, and really liked its rendering, which I found a bit "Leica like". I can see myself picking up a 50r with a GF 50 sometime in the future.
Absolutely! I agree with you about the GF50 rendering. It is a spectacular lens at this price point. In fact, according to Lloyd Chambers the GF50 beats any other GF lens in this focal length including the GF45mm. He wrote: "The GF 50/3.5 passes with flying colours capturing an incredible level of detail on the 100-megapixel sensor. The Fujifilm GF 50mm f/3.5 is surely the best performer in its range in the GF line in every way. That alone should make it a top choice for many shooters as a must-have." I agree with his findings. In fact, I was so pleased with the GF50mm that I will be selling my GF45mm.

GFX 50R
GF50mm