The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small backpack - help

gmfotografie

Hi Folks,

can you help me to find a small and light backpack for my X1D which looks also nice.
I usually use three lenses ( 30mm ) - 45p - 90mm. 2 Filters and three batteries.

If I can mount a tripod - it will be perfect.

All the best Michael

Greg Haag

Hi Folks,

can you help me to find a small and light backpack for my X1D which looks also nice.
I usually use three lenses ( 30mm ) - 45p - 90mm. 2 Filters and three batteries.

If I can mount a tripod - it will be perfect.

All the best Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael,
After a lot of trial and error, I found the Shimoda backpack fit my body the best. I use the Explore 60, but they also have a 40 & 30. https://www.shimodadesigns.com/gb/home
Good luck,
Greg

IMG_1883.jpgIMG_1884.jpgIMG_1885.jpg

Last edited:

rdeloe

There's a long and relatively recent backpack thread here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/67733-backpack-help-please.html

Some of the packs may be larger than you want (although you don't really say what "small" is). I think you need to answer one big question before you can decide: do you want a proper hip belt? There are many "small" packs that have a strap to hold the pack to the hip, but the strap doesn't carry any of the load with any useful effect. A proper hip belt will take a lot of weight off your shoulders. However, it also makes the pack look like a backpack.

My outfit weighs 20 lbs without the tripod (which I carry in hand). That's not a lot of weight for a strong person with a good back; I don't pass either one of those tests! Therefore, 20 lbs is plenty heavy for me. On the recommendation of one of the members in that thread, I bought an Ortlieb Atrack 35 Litre pack, and I could not be happier. It's not a "camera" pack, meaning it doesn't come with dividers and inserts and whatnot for cameras. Rather, it's an excellent day pack into which you can stuff whatever inserts you want to use. For the outfit you're describing, you might consider the slightly smaller 25 Litre version. It has the same harness and design as the 35 L, but is a bit more compact. Mind you, I don't have room in my 35L pack for anything else (food, clothing, tablet, book, etc.) If you want to have room for things other than your camera equipment, 35 L is probably the right siz.e

As you'll see from a post I put in that thread a couple days ago, I'm extremely happy with this pack. I don't even think about water as a risk anymore; when it's closed, the pack can be submerged in water and keep everything dry. It comes on and off quickly. I can be up and shooting in under a minute (and my setup involves a digital view camera, so there are lots of bits and pieces to assemble).

Godfrey

Thanks for that mention of the Ortlieb Atrack. I have a couple of backpacks ... a small one I use for my bicycling most of the time, and a pretty big one I have gone weekend traveling with. But neither are particular good for stowing and carrying a good bit of camera gear and a small weekend's supply of clothing while being physically active—cycling or bashing about on busses and trains, in inclement weather, etc.

The Ortlieb Atrack packs that were mentioned look pretty nice for that... :D I use Ortlieb bags on my bicycle already and they really are nicely made and work very well.

I'll have to compare the backpacks against a few others and think about what might prove most suitable.

G

rdeloe

Thanks for that mention of the Ortlieb Atrack. I have a couple of backpacks ... a small one I use for my bicycling most of the time, and a pretty big one I have gone weekend traveling with. But neither are particular good for stowing and carrying a good bit of camera gear and a small weekend's supply of clothing while being physically active—cycling or bashing about on busses and trains, in inclement weather, etc.

The Ortlieb Atrack packs that were mentioned look pretty nice for that... :D I use Ortlieb bags on my bicycle already and they really are nicely made and work very well.

I'll have to compare the backpacks against a few others and think about what might prove most suitable.

G
Like I said, I'm really happy with mine. However, it's a completely "unstructured" bag -- so you have to use inserts of some kind. To me, that's a plus. I've tried many, many "camera" bags that had all the inserts and dividers. My most recent was a Gura Gear Uinta 22 L. It was a nice bag, but it just didn't work well for my setup, and the harness -- while "good for a camera bag" -- was not close to being as good as the Atrack.

With the insert I built for my VX23D, I have absolutely no worries about hauling it through the bush. It's constantly being banged against tree branches and rocks. The material is incredibly tough, and cleans easily.

Of course, the reason so many of us have closets full of packs is because they're incredibly personal! I'm sure there are closets containing Atrack packs that simply didn't work for someone else.

MartinN

I'm sold on f-stop gear bags and have several. I vote for f-stop Guru UL. Very comfortable and flexible solution, but not diveproof.

I have to use the Pro Small ICU but for more lenses the Medium Shallow ICU may be better. You can buy both.

Geoff

For fuller trips, most comfortable is Fstop Loka. Their Guru XL is smaller, but the darn opening is too small. Smallest is the Thinktank Streetwalker 2.0, a simple decent pack. But the Loka is the favorite - can compress small, and very good waist strap.

I, and I'm sure I'm not alone, have been on the unachievable search for the "holy grail" of camera backpacks. I've been through a ton, but am now "down" to 3. A F-Stop Guru for work, a Wandrd PRVKE 21l for travel and a 20l Peak Design for "stealth" city trips.

F-Stop Gear Guru

I've used F-Stop Gear for many years and for the most part they've work really, really well and held up great. They are my favorite packs to work out of which is why I still use one for my Interior Photography work kit.

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 01.jpg

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 02.jpg

I very much like how they lay down on their back and open, which makes for an easy working bag in various conditions. I typically carry two Canon EOS R Bodies, the 17, 24, 45 and 90mm TS-E & 16-35mm lenses, my Camranger, 1.4x extender, batteries & 11" iPad Pro.

Wandrd PRVKE 21l

The Wandrd PRVKE 21l replaced a well worn F-Stop Gear Guru UL as my primary travel bag for only one reason, size. It just fits, according to specs, the carry-on limit for small European airlines. It's a bit more finicky than my old Guru UL but the size and efficiency are better, in my opinion. I usually carry my Hasselblad X1D & Mamiya 645 Pro bodies with 35, 50 PC, 80 & 150mm lenses and my Lee Seven5 filter kit. Plus for travel the iPad, earbuds etc.

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 03.jpg

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 04.jpg

Peak Design 20l Every Day Backpack

This is really a special use pack. And although I'm not a big fan of side load packs it has one feature that I really like, I can carry a tripod inside the pack. Typically I'd carry my Gitzo tripod with RRS head and either a film or X1D kit. Usually for trips to the city to shoot architecture.

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 05.jpg

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 07.jpg

Backpacks - Bill Evans Photography - 08.jpg

Although I'm always keeping an eye out for the next best pack, It'll take quite a bit to "dethrone" my current ones.

Bill

jng

If you're partial to f-stop packs, the small ICU is perfect for a 3-4 lens X1D kit and fits nicely in the Guru UL, allowing easy access via the back panel plus room on top of the ICU for other gear.
IMG_2650.jpg
Clockwise from upper left: X1D w/XCD90, XCD45, batteries, XV adapter w/ppl tripod collar, Sonnar 150/4 C, cheap cable release plus other small bits. The soon-to-arrive XCD30 (still haven't figured out how to break this news to my wife - any suggestions? :grin:) will probably bump the XV adapter, which I'll just carry separately.

I also use a medium slope ICU for my Cambo kit, which fits in the Guru - albeit a bit more tightly - with a little room on top for a few odds and ends (usually my WCC filter holder and filter case). The Loka/Loka UL (ultralight) have quite a bit more room but at least for me I find that the Guru UL sits on my hips better and is more comfortable than the Loka UL. As the anchor points on the f-stop bags are not adjustable (at least not on the ultralight series), the pack will either fit your body or not. I wish I had scooped up Ken Doo's Loka but glad that it found a good home with Matt Grayson, who probably didn't have enough camera bags already. :ROTFL:

John

rmatthews

I’ve just picked up a Wandrd duo daypack. Haven’t had the chance to use it properly yet but I like its understated style and it would fit the kit the OP mentioned pretty handily with plenty of room for other paraphernalia.

Godfrey

Like I said, I'm really happy with mine. However, it's a completely "unstructured" bag -- so you have to use inserts of some kind. To me, that's a plus. I've tried many, many "camera" bags that had all the inserts and dividers. My most recent was a Gura Gear Uinta 22 L. It was a nice bag, but it just didn't work well for my setup, and the harness -- while "good for a camera bag" -- was not close to being as good as the Atrack.

With the insert I built for my VX23D, I have absolutely no worries about hauling it through the bush. It's constantly being banged against tree branches and rocks. The material is incredibly tough, and cleans easily.

Of course, the reason so many of us have closets full of packs is because they're incredibly personal! I'm sure there are closets containing Atrack packs that simply didn't work for someone else.

https://i.ibb.co/9TrDhkB/Ortlieb-Atrack-35-L-3.jpg
I like the unstructured nature of this pack too ... Most of the time, I end up removing all the other bags' compartmentalization and building my own anyway. :)

Thanks for the photo with your gear in it. The 35L looks plenty big for anything I'd carry, I think the 25L would likely be good enough. The 907x and two or three lenses plus the PD Travel Tripod just isn't that big a pile of gear.

Good stuff. :)

G

gmfotografie

THX guys... actually I have the F-Stop Loka with the ICU Medium size. Love this Backpack but for smaller or short tours its too big...

Ihave forget to mention in the topic that I need a stylisch backback for the x1D - not this type which is more comfortably - a backpack which looks good - also for city tours.

Greg Haag

THX guys... actually I have the F-Stop Loka with the ICU Medium size. Love this Backpack but for smaller or short tours its too big...

Ihave forget to mention in the topic that I need a stylisch backback for the x1D - not this type which is more comfortably - a backpack which looks good - also for city tours.
Michael my favorite backpack I own for looks is made by Wotancraft, out of Taiwan, it was recommended to me by a fellow Leica user. Mine is larger, but they make several different sizes.

https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/creations/camera-bags

IMG_1916.jpgIMG_1917.jpg

ggibson

I'm a big fan of the Mindshift Rotation 360 backpacks. I have the smallest (now discontinued) Trail, myself. The waist pack is perfect for accessing a camera intermittently throughout a hike and then putting it away when you're done. Also, it serves as a nice "table" to keep your hands free and manage your setup without having to set your pack down on dirt, rocks, sand, etc (I've loved it when standing in shallow water setting up a tripod and adjusting filters). They are well-constructed and well-thought-out bags with hydration bladders and ways to carry a tripod.

To give you a sense of size, the Trail waist pack can fit my A7rII and usually two lenses, or even 3 smaller primes. It has worked well for day trips and travel, and I'm considering adding a Horizon 34L for when I need to carry more.

TheDude

You all have a lot of stuff in fancy camera bags! Too much, too fancy perhaps, but this is of course my personal opinion based on my needs (wishes) and preferences.

In view that the size of a camera bag somehow always seems to correlate with the final weight of the camera bag (content), I selected the biggest waist belt camera bag I was willing to hike with from my extensive waist belt camera bag collection: TAMRAC 5735 with front pocket and backpack portion cut off, and all compartmentalization removed.

Everything either had to fit (through downsizing) or was omitted.

Just made it under 10Ib:

Silvestri Flexicam with PhaseOne IQ3-100

Apo-Sironar Digital HR: 35mm, 60mm, and 100mm

Filter (67mm): Polaroid, Variable neutral-density, and White Balance/Color Cast Calibration.

Sync Cable & Arca Cable Release

With my other camera kit (Linhof Techno, four lenses), it was the other way round: I selected the camera gear first and then I selected a camera bag big enough to take it all. But then, won't hike with that kit.

Small Kit.jpg

Last edited:

TheDude

I have the smallest (now discontinued) Trail, myself. The waist pack is perfect for accessing a camera intermittently throughout a hike and then putting it away when you're done. Also, it serves as a nice "table" to keep your hands free and manage your setup without having to set your pack down on dirt, rocks, sand, etc (I've loved it when standing in shallow water setting up a tripod and adjusting filters).
There is a lot to be said for using a camera waist pack.

The disadvantages are, IMO, that they become impractical up from a certain size and/or weight of camera gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: spb

rickermiler

I also prefer using a small backpack for grad school like Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack. There are other more interesting versions.

Last edited: