The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your personal process of evaluating new gear

ErikKaffehr

Personally, I am not a gear changer, although I have went trough a lot of gear.

Why, I would change gear?

Features needed:

In this category I would mention magnified live view for focusing, tilt and shift options or fisheye lenses.

• The need for live view was the cause for me to buy three generation of Sony cameras, which I would have skipped if not for live view.
  • Tilt & Shift stuff made me switch from Sony A-mount to Sony A7RII.

Perceived need of improved image quality:

• This was the main reason I have upgraded from APS-C to full frame in 2008. As far as I can tell, there is advantage to the larger format.
  • I have some interest in getting small and high quality primes in addition to zooms.

Curiosity:

Curiosity was the main reason for buying into MFD back in 2013. The minor reason was to use MFD back on a technical camera.

Convenience:

• Convenience was the major reason I replaced my prime telephotos with a long zoom.
  • I needed a telephoto zoom and carrying the 400 prime in addition to an 80-200 zoom started to make little sense, especially on flight.
  • Carbon fibre tripods and Arca Swiss 4D geared head are examples of that. Now days, I find it very inconvenient to work with a non geared head.

Other:

I prioritize travel over new gear.

Does gear improve my photography?

• I was mostly happy with my gear.
  • My first full frame camera I bought in 2008 brought some gains in image quality.
  • The cameras with live view made me confident in achieving near optimal focus.
  • Adding the A7rII (with an A7II as a backup) allowed T&S work.
  • A HCam Master TS II was later added to allow T&S work with different lenses.
  • I bought a couple of Yashica/Contax era zooms for tilt use on the HCam Master TSII, that allows a great variety of tilt options.

Future plans
  • Adding three small high quality primes, for image quality.
  • Replacing long zoom with a better long zoom.
  • Replacing A7rII with an A7rV in two years.
  • I may consider buying the Hasselblad VFC 50CII back if it becomes available at an acceptable price. That would allow the use of my Hasselblad lenses on the Flexbody with live view. Downside is crop factor.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited: