The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attaching RRS Clamp to Arca D4

Neil1975

Hi guys,

Hope you're all keeping safe & well during these strange times!
Just after some advice really.
I've recently purchased an RRS clamp from @kdphotography (thank you Ken) with the intention of replacing the screw knob Arca clamp on my recently acquired Arca D4.
One potential issue I have is how to attach the clamp itself to the D4 so that it doesn't slip on the rotation plate (since the RRS clamp doesn't having locking pins).
They're a few suggestions on the net from gluing the clamp (not sure I'd want to do that!) to using nothing at all and, what seems to the most viable option, using a thin 1mm rubber self adhesive washer between the clamp and the plate itself.
Since we don't have a Precision Camera equivalent in the UK that i'm aware of, I'll need to do the 'mod' myself.

Appreciate any advice

Many thanks
Neil

kdphotography

Now I understand.

RRS has what they call "trucks" built into their clamps. If the receiving stem has the "trucks" it will fit into the clamp acting as an anti-twist mechanism.

I would think that tightening down the M6 screw would suffice in most situations, but the addition of a small thin adhesive rubber washer or even thin cork washer should help alleviate any wiggle.

Ken

ErikKaffehr

Hi guys,

Hope you're all keeping safe & well during these strange times!
Just after some advice really.
I've recently purchased an RRS clamp from @kdphotography (thank you Ken) with the intention of replacing the screw knob Arca clamp on my recently acquired Arca D4.
One potential issue I have is how to attach the clamp itself to the D4 so that it doesn't slip on the rotation plate (since the RRS clamp doesn't having locking pins).
They're a few suggestions on the net from gluing the clamp (not sure I'd want to do that!) to using nothing at all and, what seems to the most viable option, using a thin 1mm rubber self adhesive washer between the clamp and the plate itself.
Since we don't have a Precision Camera equivalent in the UK that i'm aware of, I'll need to do the 'mod' myself.

Appreciate any advice

Many thanks
Neil
Hi,

My RRS head has three mounting holes, the registration pin on the D4 that I have matches one of those off center positions.

Best regards
Erik

dchew

I tightened mine down while holding the clamp in place with what we in the States call "Channel Locks". I added blue locktite to the screw, which you can get in stick form similar to chapstick.

I've done this for both the Cube and the L60, not the D4. But the process is basically the same. My Cube clamp has been on there for years with no issues.

Dave