The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experiences with the SK 240mm LS

Paul Spinnler

Fellow photographers

Has anyone of you owned the 240mm and how much use did you get out of it? What did you photograph and more qualitatively speaking - do you like / love / hate the lens?

I am thinking of getting it, but am afraid a bit it is too limited in use.

Many thanks
Paul

jng

Steven, I think I mentioned this to you before, but I still love that first image - the subtle warm tone of the sky contrasts so elegantly with the snowy hill...

John

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

During a recent trip to southern Africa I used the 240mm repeatedly. I found it very sharp wide open, though for DOF I usually used it one stop down. This is a 100% crop of one such picture. I would not be without this lens!

Paul Spinnler

It is one of my most used lenses. I use it for picking pieces out of a landscape. I love the lens, its very sharp. Attached a couple of images using this lens. If you Want to see more images email me I can send some images.
That is fabulous! Thank you! But it is not easy to master, I reckon and you need to go out and find the landscape ... looks beautiful

stevenfr

Another thought - I use the 240mm for stitching panoramas. No nodal point is needed to be calculated for this focal length. It is a great lens. A couple of examples attached.

Thanks John and Paul for your kind thoughts on my first images I posted.

Attachments

Christopher

Also, there is also the TC option for the lens although it does need long lens support.
Don’t see the TC as an option. Image quality was very poor when I tested it. Even my dealer wasn’t able to tell the difference between the 240 + TC vs 240 digitally upscaled...

Paul Spinnler

Don’t see the TC as an option. Image quality was very poor when I tested it. Even my dealer wasn’t able to tell the difference between the 240 + TC vs 240 digitally upscaled...
Christoph - what is your experience with the lens? Do you own it and what is your use? I think you are into cityscapes, right? Do you find it useful and are you happy with it? It is a big lens and expensive too, but I might have access to one for a good price which is why I am considering it. I thought about landscapes and stitching too - some of the images here are stunning. Just am afraid it is a one-trick pony ... that I don´t reach too much for

I love the 240mm. It's pretty much glued to my XF. The very last sample is with the x2 TC which makes it a 480mm. You have to use a lens support though.

Cheers,
WeldonBean_Hollow_Sept_2018_140 2.jpgPatrick Point - Sept2019_025.jpgSeaSpace-GraniteCanyon-Sept2019-034.jpgPatrick Point - Sept2019_152 1.jpg

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I suspect you're right. I have the TC but use it with the 150 mm when the weight of the 240 is an issue. You've reminded me that I've been meaning to test it with the 240. I'll do so in the next few days.

jng

Christoph - what is your experience with the lens? Do you own it and what is your use? I think you are into cityscapes, right? Do you find it useful and are you happy with it? It is a big lens and expensive too, but I might have access to one for a good price which is why I am considering it. I thought about landscapes and stitching too - some of the images here are stunning. Just am afraid it is a one-trick pony ... that I don´t reach too much for
It depends on the effect you're looking for. Some (including myself) are looking for the compressed perspective that the longer focal length affords. More often than not, when shooting built environment or landscapes, I find myself reaching for my Zeiss 250mm Superachromat (somewhat different beast than the 240 SK, but similar focal length). The longer FL is also well suited for more intimate landscapes, so it's definitely not a one-trick pony if you look for interesting ways to apply it.

John

beano_z

I'll chime in as for the focal length part of the discussion, I've always felt the need for a long lens, especially on landscape shoots, even if just to have something to turn to after the hero-shot or if the conditions do not allow for the hero-shot which, in my case, is often a wide angle, all encompassing kind of image.

I can't comment on the SK 240, but after considering the 2x teleconverter to be paired with my 150/2.8 I decided to opt for the Mamiya 300mm f/4.5 instead. It's a light lens rated at 1430g (50.4 oz.) whereas the SK 240 is rated at 1600g (56.4 oz.), so it basically has the same max aperture with a bit less weight and 60mm longer focal length (size wise, the Mamiya is a bit longer and thinner).

Sharpness of the 300mm is more than good enough for me, stopped down for landscapes it's as sharp as anything in my bag and interestingly, on the IQ3 100mp, the Mamiya is sharper than the famous and outrageously expensive Hasselblad / Zeiss superachromat 350mm f/5.6, at which I was pleasantly surprised (perhaps I had a lemon, I don't know).

Anyway, just sharing my experience so you have another option to think about and I'm pretty sure the Mamiya can be had on the second hand market for much less than the SK 240.

Christopher

My 240mm BR Lens is amazing. I have used another 240mm BR which wasn’t that great. So sadly, like most Phase One lenses there is sample variation.

In general the quality is good on my IQ4150. Not as great as my 150 2,8; 45 or 35.

I use the lens for a looting landscapes and cityscapes. Especially when shooting panoramic images. I admit that I prefer the GFX100 with the 250/350 lens. As with is it’s so much easier to shoot and focus and certainly the better lens.

All in all I einlullet the lens. The only drawback when hiking is the focus issue. Don’t get me wrong I make it work and get great images, it’s just not the most fun thing to do.

It’s a different story on a tripod. Here it works great.

Paul Spinnler

My 240mm BR Lens is amazing. I have used another 240mm BR which wasn’t that great. So sadly, like most Phase One lenses there is sample variation.

In general the quality is good on my IQ4150. Not as great as my 150 2,8; 45 or 35.

I use the lens for a looting landscapes and cityscapes. Especially when shooting panoramic images. I admit that I prefer the GFX100 with the 250/350 lens. As with is it’s so much easier to shoot and focus and certainly the better lens.

All in all I einlullet the lens. The only drawback when hiking is the focus issue. Don’t get me wrong I make it work and get great images, it’s just not the most fun thing to do.

It’s a different story on a tripod. Here it works great.
Do you use a nodal stiching adapter when doing panos?

Don Libby

It's been several years now since I stopped using Phase One however when I did I had the SK240 along with the TC and have very fond memories.

My first time using it was during the winter in Jackson Hole WY and was immediately in lust with the lens. I found (using a Phase XF) I could easily handhold the lens capturing buffalo hers and moose. Putting the TC on required a tripod due to the weight and loss of AF. I was disappointed with the TC as I felt it could have offered more.

This was among the last of the lenses to be sold shortly after dropping from Phase One. Overall an excellent lens for wildlife and landscape.

I'll see if I can dig up some samples later and share. By all means get one.

Don