The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Separate CFV II 50c and 907X

nathantw

A person on social media posted this message from the Linhof Studio site. Whether it's true or not it's pretty interesting. I couldn't find it when I searched the site, but basically it said that the CFV II 50c will be advertised heavily in August with the unit being available in October. It'll be 4500 Pounds plus vat. The 907x approximately 800 pounds plus vat.

darr

From my inbox yesterday morning:

--

I think it is a great idea to offer them seperate, and why should they not?
I own the CFV-50c and have used it with: 501cm, ALPA SWA, Max & TC, Linhof 3000, Cambo Wide 65 and a Sinar Norma.
Will I buy this time around? Probably not since my 50c does a great job, but if I needed to upgrade I would.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . . . . I couldn't find it when I searched the site, but basically it said that the CFV II 50c will be advertised heavily in August with the unit being available in October. It'll be 4500 Pounds plus vat. The 907x approximately 800 pounds plus vat.
You could not find it , because the info came by e-mail .:rolleyes:

anyone

This is a seriously tempting offer. However, I need to resist, cannot justify more than one digital back :thumbup:

Godfrey

I don't think there was ever any question that the CFVII 50c back would be marketed independently of the 907x body. There is a vast audience of Hasselblad V system users out there who have complete systems already that Hasselblad taps with a new digital back that's compatible across the board. The 907x body simply offers those photographers an additional bridge into the new lens line and some of the new features possible with those, and with the H system lenses as well through the XH Adapter.

It's all just a matter of development time, resources, and timing... And vision on the part of the company. :)

G

anyone

V-system users have been neglected by Hasselblad for quite a while. I hope they remember us also when it comes to spare parts for their lenses.

elm

Glad Hasselblad is opting to let users pick and choose their tools in there suite, especially everything from 1957 to present via 907x and CFV II 50c!

Would love to see a 500X or a 503X. Also with the form factor and production workflow down, Hasselblad should also offer a CFV 100c knowing there is a market. Keep the options and modular concept going!

Godfrey

V-system users have been neglected by Hasselblad for quite a while. I hope they remember us also when it comes to spare parts for their lenses.
Unfortunately, Hasselblad never manufactured the shutters themself, and most of the parts required in overhauls are shutter parts. Most of the repairs to these kinds of bits are coming from scavenging them off of other lenses that are even worse for wear, for the past decade or two.

My lovely old Sonnar 150/4 is 1967 issue and hardly worth the cost of repair. I was thinking to 'replace' it with a CF Sonnar 150/4 or 180/4 when I find I'm using it a little more, although this ancient lens is still a fine performer.

Hasselblad 907x + C Sonnar 150mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/6

The lens has a number of issues, but still returns some beautiful photos. :D

G

Last edited:

mristuccia

Just thinking that for a strict V-system digital photography workflow there has been already the CFV-50c Mark I for a while.
If you only need a back for a 5xx camera and focus through the optical viewfinder then there is nothing new that this new Mark II back can give.

I see its potential when joined with the 907x and the X lenses. That's the added value of the Mark II. And it is also a clever move for HB because in the long term this will fully transition a lot of V-System users into the new X world. Once you have bought enough X lenses, why don't add an X1D (or X2D) and close the transition?
I see the 907X more as a "temporary bridge" rather than a long-lasting solution.

Time will tell.

Godfrey

Just thinking that for a strict V-system digital photography workflow there has been already the CFV-50c Mark I for a while.
If you only need a back for a 5xx camera and focus through the optical viewfinder then there is nothing new that this new Mark II back can give.

I see its potential when joined with the 907x and the X lenses. That's the added value of the Mark II. And it is also a clever move for HB because in the long term this will fully transition a lot of V-System users into the new X world. Once you have bought enough X lenses, why don't add an X1D (or X2D) and close the transition?
I see the 907X more as a "temporary bridge" rather than a long-lasting solution.

Time will tell.
The different form factor appeal to many vs the eye-level form factor of the X1D line. Certainly does to me. Also, the CFVII 50c has a number of differences from the CFV 50c with respect to battery used, power efficiency, user interface, display quality, etc etc.

In short, I see the 907x as "another excellent Hasselblad body", not a temporary bridge to anywhere different, and the CFVII 50c as a good follow-on, update to the previous V system compatible back.

G

anyone

Time will tell.
If I would go down that route, I'd combine the new excellent X-system wide angles with V-system normal- and tele-lenses. It's always been hard to go really wide in the V system, and there is no solution in the V-lens lineup with the crop factor of these backs.

In a way, the 907x would be then a digital SWC. Would be lovely if it would work also with non-Hasselblad digital backs. Did / could anyone try this? Of course chances are that the X-lens image circle is anyway too small for larger digital backs.

Godfrey

If I would go down that route, I'd combine the new excellent X-system wide angles with V-system normal- and tele-lenses. It's always been hard to go really wide in the V system, and there is no solution in the V-lens lineup with the crop factor of these backs.

In a way, the 907x would be then a digital SWC. Would be lovely if it would work also with non-Hasselblad digital backs. Did / could anyone try this?
That's pretty much exactly the way I have gone with the 907x. I bought it and the XCD21mm, crop square and you have a digital SWC. I added the 45P to have the equivalent of the V system 80mm. The V system 80, 120 Makro, and 150mm work well.

I don't think the 907x body can work with anything but the CFVII 50c back. The back has all of the programming to run the body's (minimal) controls and control the lenses and shutters. Not that I have a surfeit of alternative, V-system mount digital backs floating around the house to play with, but I sincerely doubt that it's possible... ;-)

G

anyone

Bummer. One doesn't have to be a genius to discover the lack of any manual controls. Well it's early in the morning:grin:

So how about the next iteration of the 90Xx bodies, with V-system style control of shutter and aperture at the lens mount, and compatibility to other manufacturers?

mristuccia

Anyone, Godfrey, you're right, the capacity of adding a super wide-angle is another advantage. But that comes only by completely ruling out the 5xx body and the related V-system workflow.
In a way, it is like having one of the small and lightweight technical cameras, but with a better price point, nice aesthetics, and AF. But with the lack of shifting capabilities as well.

B L

I could be wrong but remember down the thread Godfrey uploaded a 907X pic with an optical finder. I imagine that next 907 could incorporate a removable EVF or hybrid type.

Bummer. One doesn't have to be a genius to discover the lack of any manual controls. Well it's early in the morning:grin:

So how about the next iteration of the 90Xx bodies, with V-system style control of shutter and aperture at the lens mount, and compatibility to other manufacturers?

Godfrey

The 907x body has a multifunction control dial, with 'shift' button, and the shutter release. There's little more needed with the CFVII 50c back controlling everything else through it. Adding other, discrete controls would raise the price quite a lot, I expect, and the benefit for Hasselblad ... how? Whenever I think of things that they could do for me, I always think in the context of "how will they make a profit on it without costing me an arm and a leg?"

I'm pretty content with the system as they've defined it, thus far. I'm glad of that, otherwise I'd have spent an awful lot of money (to me) without getting the satisfaction I wanted. :D

G

Godfrey

Anyone, Godfrey, you're right, the capacity of adding a super wide-angle is another advantage. But that comes only by completely ruling out the 5xx body and the related V-system workflow.
In a way, it is like having one of the small and lightweight technical cameras, but with a better price point, nice aesthetics, and AF. But with the lack of shifting capabilities as well.
The V-system is technically discontinued and the only wides it offered that fit on the reflex bodies are the Distagon 40, Distagon 50, and Distagon 65. So you're not going to get "the related V-system workflow" with a wide angle lens on a 33x44 mm format sensor, unless the equivalent of a 30mm lens on FF is what you consider wide. If that's the case, just use the back on your 500 series camera with the appropriate lens.

There's good reason to combine the systems and seek the greatest advantages of both for what you want to do and how you prefer to work. That's why I bought the 21mm lens for the 907x body. I added the 45mm lens because it presents a very versatile and compact option for general shooting, and I'll likely add the 80mm lens for its speed and longer focal length versatility as well. Yes, my workflow will be different (and actually better, in my opinion, because the 907x/CFVII 50c display allows better, more accurate focusing and framing, and much less camera vibration).

If you want a technical camera with swings, tilts, shifts, etc, just buy one and add the capture back du jour you like. I don't see that as a reason, specifically, to want the Hasselblad back, or to complain about it. To me, the whole point was that I already had V system equipment, and the 907x and a couple of lenses brings my system, for my needs, up to date with excellent capture and imaging capabilities.

G

Godfrey

I could be wrong but remember down the thread Godfrey uploaded a 907X pic with an optical finder. I imagine that next 907 could incorporate a removable EVF or hybrid type.
Why does everyone on this thread want to expand and make the camera even more complex and expensive?

I see the proposed Hasseblad grip and optical finder as a way to make the 907x more useful for fast, eye level shooting with a typical wide-ish to normal lens. I don't see it as a sensible way to add more lens/viewfinder versatility and such ... if you want that, just buy an X1D II.

G

anyone

I guess its just that:

If you are in the market for a new digital back, the combination is great.
If you are not, it's not an option. (Or if you do not want that crop factor on your V-system lenses).

That's why I'd love to have a version that works with other manufacturers backs with the control dials.

On the other hand, I already do have other nice wide-angle options on my tech cam with larger image circles.

richardman

If I am allowed to dream :eek: Here's a small simple follow-on product: Metabones make a XCD mount to V mount Speedbooster adapter. With that and the 907x and CFV-50C II, you have a "full frame" 645 camera using V lens ~_o

Or, since I am dreaming: Hasselblad creates a 909Vx based on the 907x with a speedbooster-type converter built-in and takes the V lens natively...