The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45+ night photography problem

Blago

Hi

I am using the P45+ for some 2 years now and was quite satisfied with it.
Couple of days ago, however, I made first night shots of a high-contrast scene.
After quickly developing my files, I was presented with something I really didn't expect.
The amount of weird ghosting (for lack of better word) made the images unusable. I am attaching the shrinked jpg for reference.

CF032647.jpg

I was using the Digitar 35XL which usually has a center filter screwed-on. At first I thought that maybe this filter was to blame. However, redoing the photographs without the filter didn't improve the situation much.

I don't have much clue what to do with this -- aside from refraining from night photography.

Did anybody encounter similar problem? If yes, is there a remedy?

:wtf:

anyone

That looks quite bad.

My P45+ did not have the same issues. To me it looks somewhat like flare that could occur between lens and filter?

Abstraction

Hi

I am using the P45+ for some 2 years now and was quite satisfied with it.
Couple of days ago, however, I made first night shots of a high-contrast scene.
After quickly developing my files, I was presented with something I really didn't expect.
The amount of weird ghosting (for lack of better word) made the images unusable. I am attaching the shrinked jpg for reference.

View attachment 150058

I was using the Digitar 35XL which usually has a center filter screwed-on. At first I thought that maybe this filter was to blame. However, redoing the photographs without the filter didn't improve the situation much.

I don't have much clue what to do with this -- aside from refraining from night photography.

Did anybody encounter similar problem? If yes, is there a remedy?

:wtf:
This looks more like a lens issue to me, rather than a problem with the back. This lens seems to be prone to flare and that's especially noticeable towards the edges where that flare is more pronounced. Do you have any other lenses you can try a night scene with? I'm guessing that if you were to use a different lens with better coatings, you won't see this issue.

bomzi

I've noticed the same problem when photographing a scene with certain types of LED lights. I think it may have something to do with the diffuser on the LED light fixtures or the way light is transmitted.

It is the glass that covers the sensor! I had the same problems years ago. I've sent the back for maintance to PhaseOne and after that they told me they have changed the glass that covers the sensor and all the problems you've described are gone.