Site Sponsors

Thread: P45+ night photography problem

Post Thanks / Like

P45+ night photography problem

Hi

I am using the P45+ for some 2 years now and was quite satisfied with it.
    Couple of days ago, however, I made first night shots of a high-contrast scene.
    After quickly developing my files, I was presented with something I really didn't expect.
    The amount of weird ghosting (for lack of better word) made the images unusable. I am attaching the shrinked jpg for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF032647.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	602.8 KB 
ID:	150058

I was using the Digitar 35XL which usually has a center filter screwed-on. At first I thought that maybe this filter was to blame. However, redoing the photographs without the filter didn't improve the situation much.

I don't have much clue what to do with this -- aside from refraining from night photography.

Did anybody encounter similar problem? If yes, is there a remedy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: P45+ night photography problem

That looks quite bad.

My P45+ did not have the same issues. To me it looks somewhat like flare that could occur between lens and filter?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blago View Post
    Hi

I am using the P45+ for some 2 years now and was quite satisfied with it.
    Couple of days ago, however, I made first night shots of a high-contrast scene.
    After quickly developing my files, I was presented with something I really didn't expect.
    The amount of weird ghosting (for lack of better word) made the images unusable. I am attaching the shrinked jpg for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF032647.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	602.8 KB 
ID:	150058

I was using the Digitar 35XL which usually has a center filter screwed-on. At first I thought that maybe this filter was to blame. However, redoing the photographs without the filter didn't improve the situation much.

I don't have much clue what to do with this -- aside from refraining from night photography.

Did anybody encounter similar problem? If yes, is there a remedy?

This looks more like a lens issue to me, rather than a problem with the back. This lens seems to be prone to flare and that's especially noticeable towards the edges where that flare is more pronounced. Do you have any other lenses you can try a night scene with? I'm guessing that if you were to use a different lens with better coatings, you won't see this issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed the same problem when photographing a scene with certain types of LED lights. I think it may have something to do with the diffuser on the LED light fixtures or the way light is transmitted.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the glass that covers the sensor! I had the same problems years ago. I've sent the back for maintance to PhaseOne and after that they told me they have changed the glass that covers the sensor and all the problems you've described are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe FLD filter can help you reduce this