The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

screen brightness

joegl

Hi folks,

working a lot with live view in the last days, but during landscape sunlight scenery, there seems to be a screen brightness automatic, which darkens the screen to nearly unusable....
Any chance to change that?
I already set the brightness to 100 %
XF IQ 100 TRI
Phase one 45 mm Tilt Shift 3,5

Thanks

Joerg

joegl

Hm, nearly 200 views but nobody has the same issue?

Hi folks,

working a lot with live view in the last days, but during landscape sunlight scenery, there seems to be a screen brightness automatic, which darkens the screen to nearly unusable....
Any chance to change that?
I already set the brightness to 100 %
XF IQ 100 TRI
Phase one 45 mm Tilt Shift 3,5

Thanks

Joerg

4*Paul

Hm, nearly 200 views but nobody has the same issue?
Maybe there are others like me.
I have the issue (although don’t often take photos in bright sunlight) and don’t know the answer. So waiting/hoping for someone to come up with a way round it.

The silence suggests that I might not be the only one in that position.

Paul.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Maybe there are others like me.
I have the issue (although don’t often take photos in bright sunlight) and don’t know the answer. So waiting/hoping for someone to come up with a way round it.

The silence suggests that I might not be the only one in that position.

Paul.
There's no automatic dimming. I think you're just noting that when the screen is flooded with a lot of light it is harder to see.

We make an LCD shade for this exact purpose: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/dt-lcd-shade-for-the-phase-one-iq/

Alternatives include various loupes and hoods like the Hoodman. Those provide more complete shading than our solution but also require putting on/off each time and blocking the touch screen. Ours provides less complete shading but does not need to be taken on/off for use and does not block the touch screen. Ours is also limited to XF with the WLF rather than prism finder, which hangs over the LCD.

Additional free alternatives include using the iOS app with the phone held inside your shirt, a simple black cloth (literally the "dark cloth" from the 4x5 days) or tethering and using the laptop shade built into the rolling case of an IQ3.

Last edited:

4*Paul

There's no automatic dimming. I think you're just noting that when the screen is flooded with a lot of light it is harder to see

Thanks for the suggestions Doug.
Actually, I’m wondering if the OP was referring to
the momentary brightening of the screen which happens when opening up to full aperture from a small f stop. It dims back down to a normal level again very quickly but sort of promises the ability to control the brightness. I originally wondered whether I could fool it to stay that way - but I couldn’t.

So on the rare occasions when I’m shooting in bright sunlight but I use the “black cloth” method - which makes me feel like a proper photographer :thumbup:

Paul.

joegl

Thanks for the suggestions Doug.
Actually, I’m wondering if the OP was referring to
the momentary brightening of the screen which happens when opening up to full aperture from a small f stop. It dims back down to a normal level again very quickly but sort of promises the ability to control the brightness. I originally wondered whether I could fool it to stay that way - but I couldn’t.

So on the rare occasions when I’m shooting in bright sunlight but I use the “black cloth” method - which makes me feel like a proper photographer :thumbup:

Paul.
Dear Paul
Thanks for your reply
Yes that’s what I meant.

Jörg