The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Large format kit for hasselblad h3?///

Atracksler

I have an h3d 39 and am thinking about moving into using it for more movements.

Currently using a combo of the hasselblad, and a Sony a7r3 and a cambo actus.

I know there are several options.

The hasselblad tilt/shift
The dB Bach upgrade from actus
A slur like the gx680
A 4x5 monorail like a Sinar p with an adapter.

Trying to think about my next move. You can see some of our work at https://www.bryce-photos.com/

Looking for advice, snafus, traps, dead ends....maybe something I’m missing.....

Thanks in advance. Ad

Shashin

The obvious upgrade would be for your Actus. It is, as you know, a nice camera. You get the use of medium-format lenses with that.

If you are thinking about studio use, I used a Linhof M679 with a P25+ back. It was a very flexible camera, but really designed for view camera lenses. I used it with s sliding back, so it was not really compact.

Steve Hendrix

I have an h3d 39 and am thinking about moving into using it for more movements.

Currently using a combo of the hasselblad, and a Sony a7r3 and a cambo actus.

I know there are several options.

The hasselblad tilt/shift
The dB Bach upgrade from actus
A slur like the gx680
A 4x5 monorail like a Sinar p with an adapter.

Trying to think about my next move. You can see some of our work at https://www.bryce-photos.com/

Looking for advice, snafus, traps, dead ends....maybe something I’m missing.....

Thanks in advance. Ad

The main challenge with a digital back like a Hasselblad HD-39 (or, similarly, the Phase One P45+, which uses the same sensor) in use on something like a Cambo Actus is the lack of optimal live view. It has live view, but very limited. And on an Actus, there is no sliding back/ground glass option, as it is too small to support that (unless you use the larger Actus XL or an Ultima - and Sinar and Linhof view cameras both offer sliding backs as well).

It might be worth playing with the Hasselblad tilt shift adapter, because you then have through the lens viewing, even though the movements are limited, compared to a view camera. It's expensive, but considering it works with most of your existing lenses, could be money well spent. Because otherwise, you have the cost of the view camera, the accessories, and more lenses. If you like the results, but want more control, then maybe the view camera is the way to go. If budget allows, a digital back upgrade to a model that has optimal live view 50mp and 100mp models would be ideal.

Best of luck - you've gotten good mileage out of the 39mp.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

anyone

+1 for the Linhof M679CS. A very precise camera, for studio use very well suited. I guess the H back can be put on a Linhof sliding back.
It comes usually in a 'Systainer', which is a standard industrial box system. That means it's compatible with lots of accessories such as wheels, more storage boxes (it can be stacked), ... So if you are working near a car, it might be an option.

For outdoor (backpacking) use, this kit is too heavy (that's the reason I sold mine).

Geoff

There is also the Linhof Techno, which like the 679, has the advantage of using simpler view camera lenses. Its more compact and easier to transport, used by Joe Cornish a few years ago for his work.

Its probably possible to mount the Hassy back directly or with a stitching back, from Linhof or Silvestri.

anyone

I in fact switched from the 679CS to the Techno. Two very different cameras for different applications. The M679CS offers all possible movements I can imagine, the Techno is much more limited (but the movements I need for landscape photography are well covered with huge shift front + back, front tilt, front side shift).

It has the same sort of back interface as the M679CS, so the sliding (and film) backs are interchangeable.

P. Chong

The HTS-1.5 is a good route, and have the benefit that the H camera records the tilt and shift data on the exif which can be viewed via Phocus.

It acts as a telephoto though, giving a 1.5X factor to the lenses, which may or may not be a good thing for your needs. And does not work on the HC 4/120 if you are thinking of using it for macro work, though will work with the HC 50 HC 80 or HC 100. I don't have the HC 50 or the HC 100, but have tried it on my HC 28, HC 80 with good results. It is also quite expensive.

The yellow arrow points to the HC 80 lens. The green arrows points at the H 26 extension tube (the H 52 can also be used, as well as stacked), and the red arrow shows the HTS 1.5. The camera body, back and viewfinder is behind this optical system. The focussing is not the easiest, but is do-able, as you know the H viewfinder is quite large and bright.

https://deployant.com/watchscapes-rolex-cosmograph-daytona-ref-116500ln/

Hope this helps.