The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New GFX Firmware

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Paul2660

Yes, I wonder what happened to the 400MP pixel shift update, was supposed to be in June, assuming with this firmware.

I agree 100 is plenty, but comparisons are fun for sure.

Paul C

P. Chong

I find the Focus Bracketing to be not as intuitive to use as in the Phase One XF.

Selection of the near and far focus points are not as logical or easy to use. Firstly, both A and B are interchangeably near and far, doesn't matter which is which is selected first. And maybe its my display setup on the GFX100, but the scale, which is useful not only in showing the relative positions of A and B, but also that Focus Bracketing is in play, disappears after one selects the second point. The camera still goes on to shoot the frames when the shutter is released, but its not as intuitive as I thought. Anyone knows if I have been overthinking and not using the obvious easier way? Whereas, on the P1, focus near, press top rear button. Focus far, press top far button. Done. Easy to use.

Also, once Auto is selected, there is no way to over ride the number of frames unlike in the XF. Due to the CoC calculations, the number of frames computed is overkill for anything other than large prints. For magazine or print brochure work or web, far less frames are needed. On P1, this can be easily over-ridden. I don't think this is possible for GFX. This is useful, as 50 frames of 100Mpx files takes a lot more space and time to complete on Helicon 7 than say 20. Would be even better if P1 can take the guesswork out, but allowing a choice of CoC, but perhaps it will make the tool more complicated to use.

The new auto focus bracket tool looks interesting.

SrMphoto

I find the Focus Bracketing to be not as intuitive to use as in the Phase One XF.

Selection of the near and far focus points are not as logical or easy to use. Firstly, both A and B are interchangeably near and far, doesn't matter which is which is selected first. And maybe its my display setup on the GFX100, but the scale, which is useful not only in showing the relative positions of A and B, but also that Focus Bracketing is in play, disappears after one selects the second point. The camera still goes on to shoot the frames when the shutter is released, but its not as intuitive as I thought. Anyone knows if I have been overthinking and not using the obvious easier way? Whereas, on the P1, focus near, press top rear button. Focus far, press top far button. Done. Easy to use.

Also, once Auto is selected, there is no way to override the number of frames unlike in the XF. Due to the CoC calculations, the number of frames computed is overkill for anything other than large prints. For magazine or print brochure work or web, far less frames are needed. On P1, this can be easily over-ridden. I don't think this is possible for GFX. This is useful, as 50 frames of 100Mpx files takes a lot more space and time to complete on Helicon 7 than say 20. Would be even better if P1 can take the guesswork out, but allowing a choice of CoC, but perhaps it will make the tool more complicated to use.
It is annoying that the focus bracketing information disappears from the screen after a short while (even before selecting any focus point). I assume that is done to help with composing the image as the DISP/BACK button is reused for setting the B point. I wish Fuji would use the OK button for both A and B points. The bracketing information reappears once you move the focus ring, magnify the view, or press the Q or Fn4 button.

Jim Kasson did some analysis and found that Auto mode uses step 5. You can start Auto focus-bracketing just to see how many steps have been computed for step 5 and calculate the number of shots required for different step sizes.

I wish that Fuji would have allowed specifying the Step parameter in Auto mode, but that parameter seems to cause a lot of confusion (it specifies CoC used).

Last edited:

vjbelle

Just tried the new 'Auto' focus stacking feature and am very impressed. I've always wanted to 'easily' just expand the DOF of my selected target instead of making everything in focus. This lets me select a start and end and for my types of images. I usually get around 4 or 5 images which is just perfect for me. The very near and very far are OOF and my target has an expanded focus area. I shot my 110mm at f5.6 which has a very narrow DOF at that aperture and was able to get my target area completely in focus and still have very near and very far OOF.

I may have to order a '100':D

Victor B

Paul2660

Agree. It’s a fast quick solution. The improved low light AF Is also greatly appreciated.

Paul C

fotophil

After upgrading my Fuji GFX 50S firmware from Version 3 to Version 4, I find that my Techart EOS lens adapter no longer controls the aperture on my Canon tilt shift lenses. I wonder how long it will take to get updated Techart Firmware?

AlanS

I had the same problem with my viltrox adapter on my 50s but I took the lens and adapter apart, refitted it to the body a few times (switching the body on and off) and all was working again! No idea if it will work with your adapter but worth a try?

Knorp

No problem here (yet) with my 50s, Kipon EF-GFX AF adapter and Sigma Art 135/1.8

fotophil

I had the same problem with my viltrox adapter on my 50s but I took the lens and adapter apart, refitted it to the body a few times (switching the body on and off) and all was working again! No idea if it will work with your adapter but worth a try?
Did you find any loose wires when you disassembled your adapter? My Techart adapter still works after upgrading my GFX100 firmware to Ver 2 so i am reluctant to upgrade the Techart firmware to regain use with the GFX50S. Has anyone updated firmware on the Techart?