The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One is no longer supporting tethered capture for Leaf Aptus from Capture One

archivue

Capture One is no longer supporting tethered capture for Leaf Aptus from Capture One 12.1 and forward.

;-(

epforever

Wow, that's really crummy and sleazy. Surely they have the technological know-how to enable capture with the Aptus backs. Which means they've omitted it to slowly force those users to upgrade to a newer Phase One back. Whereas in earlier times, it was always made clear that one of the advantages of Capture One is, you can use it with Phase and Leaf backs. How long before they lock out Leaf Credo users?

I'm happy to be corrected by someone from the inside. Phase One should make this right.

gerald.d

Interesting to note from a cursory glance at the list of cameras that Capture One does support tethering for includes some Canon cameras dating as far back as at least 2007.

The Aptus 12 was released in 2010.

For those approaching Phase One as to why they have dropped support for the Aptus, that little fact may be useful to mention in your communications.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/Edit...

It also still supports tethered shooting with the Phase One Light Phase, which dates from 1998.

med

As an occasional Aptus user, I don't see any huge problems with this. Although annoying to run 2 different versions of Capture 1, it isn't the total end of the world. Capture 1 11.x is very, very capable, especially for the use case of running it "on set" and not for finishing.

Although this appears to be perhaps a sleazy move on Phase's part, I doubt it is part of a concerted effort to push people to newer backs. If that was the case they would also be ceasing support for Lightphase, H, and perhaps some P series backs. I think it much more likely that the protocol used by Aptus backs required development work to keep in there and it got axed... simple as that.

I don't feel that Phase "owes" us 10-15 year old back users anything. The fact that I can register my Aptus back and download an up to date version of Capture 1 to edit files from it is pretty amazing.

I will have to try out the workflow of doing a tethered session in Capture 1 11.x with my Aptus 22 on my laptop and then moving the catalog/session to Capture 1 20 on my desktop but I'm sure it will work as expected.

warpath

Would not be surprised to see many of their own legacy backs slowly being not supported. There have been many little sneaky things Phase One has done/not done that's made me not like the company. I'll continue to use Capture One because it's the best for me so I'm pretty much stuck for now, but I'm always on a lookout for a better alternative so I can replace it. Sadly I haven't not found any to suit my needs :mad:

Mexecutioner

Would not be surprised to see many of their own legacy backs slowly being not supported. There have been many little sneaky things Phase One has done/not done that's made me not like the company. I'll continue to use Capture One because it's the best for me so I'm pretty much stuck for now, but I'm always on a lookout for a better alternative so I can replace it. Sadly I haven't not found any to suit my needs :mad:
Why would they support things forever? Is windows 7 still supported? The first retina MacBook Pro? Things evolve, and change, consequently old hardware becomes unsupported on newer software, but it just doesn’t stop working overnight.

mristuccia

A huge money investment like buying an MF digital back should be covered by a guarrantee of a very long support...

In any case, I too agree with those who say that there must have been a problem with this specific communication protocol that made the developers think it was better to clean up and throw this piece of code away from the new source code of C1.

Why would they support things forever? Is windows 7 still supported? The first retina MacBook Pro? Things evolve, and change, consequently old hardware becomes unsupported on newer software, but it just doesn’t stop working overnight.

warpath

What does the term "future-proof" mean to you? That's a term used on the current XF system by the way. It's misleading. Leaf was an acquisition by Phase One, so I am not as bothered with how they decide to handle those products.