The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Colours GFX50

anyone

Hi all,

one question out of curiousity: I really love the colour science Fuji did for my X100 series camera. While I think it's possible to get nice colours from many cameras, Fuji often 'gets it right', meaning I do not have to change much at all in post but just enjoy the picture.

I was wondering how that is on the larger Fujis with the 50mp sensor? Do they also have this subjective "spot on" colour? And how about other cameras with the same sensor such as the X1D?

Thank you!

tcdeveau

I've never done any scientific side-by-side comparisons, but I find the colors SOOC of the X1D to be more natural than the Z6/D800 I use (or X-E2 I used for awhile), and prefer them to the smaller format cameras. YMMV.

Mexecutioner

I think it is more of a "to my eyes Fuji's colors are right", or do you mean all the other brands get the colors wrong? Subjective topic I think, as what you may find pleasing may not be for others. I've read this before from many Fuji users and all seem o be happy campers, which I think is what matters most.

anyone

Mexecutioner, you are right. I certainly did not want to claim that other manufacturers get it wrong.

Certainly a subjective matter - I meant 'to my eyes the colours look right' (possibly pleasing is the better word), while I seldom have the same feeling with my P1 backs OOC. While I do like my P1 files better after processing, it has some appeal to get nice colours out of the cam straight away, hence the question.

Last edited:

med

Mexecutioner, you are right. I certainly did not want to claim that other manufacturers get it wrong.

Certainly a subjective matter - I meant 'to my eyes the colours look right' (possibly pleasing is the better word), while I seldom have the same feeling with my P1 backs OOC. While I do like my P1 files better after processing, it has some appeal to get nice colours out of the cam straight away, hence the question.
I have found the colours quite consistent across my Fuji bodies; x100c, X-Pro1, X-T1, X-T3, and briefly the GFX 100. That being said, I much prefer the "OOC" colours of my Phase back (IQ250) and Leica bodies (M9 and Q2) to the Fuji look. Sounds like our preferences may be the opposite!

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the Fuji colours at all. Well there were issues with Fuji colours and Lightroom at one point but they were fixed years ago (although Lightroom still hasn't totally figured out how to demosaic Xtrans sensors...).

I think my preference for Phase and Leica colours may be more down to colour saturation and tonal response preferences thanthe colours themselves, but I'm not sure. I've never lost any sleep over the matter... this has just been my preference over the years!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have a natural affinity for the Phase and Leica colors. Getting the shot is so much easier with the Fujis that I don't begrudge them the color tweaking. I usually convert to B&W anyway. :grin:

But really, why are the Fuji skies always so cyan? Very difficult to keep cyan or magenta casts out of every portion of a sky. One possibility, of course, is that skies just ARE that cyan. Pleasing colors and accurate colors are not the same thing. The Provia profile helps a lot...

Ah well,

Matt

rdeloe

I have learned to take the "Fuji colour" thing with a grain of salt. I recently compared a Pentax 645 lens to a Fuji GF lens (same focal length) and was astonished at how different the exact same scene looked in the two pictures: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63644793 The relevant side-by-side pair is down a couple screens in the post.

I think a lot of what people think of as "Fuji colour" has as much to do with the lens as with how Fuji processes the data in the camera before generating the RAF, and how the application one uses to develop that RAF handles it.

anyone

Very insightful, thank you for the answers!

Maybe there is a thing or two to learn about my very own P1 back too: I have the IQ1 60, but encountered the same on my older P45+: colours are excellent, but you need to work for / with them. Out of camera, the almost always have a strong blue hue in AWB mode. Until recently, I didn't pay too much attention on this since I knew I'll work with the raw in any case. Recently changed to "daylight" for most of my work, but (again very subjective matter) to my eyes the images do look still a little bit too neutral. How do you handle this?

Back to the topic, impressive to see those colour differences between the two lenses. The main appeal of the Fuji is for me the FPS for using adapted lenses - together with the P1 support - so I rarely would use any native lens.

rdeloe

Very insightful, thank you for the answers!

Maybe there is a thing or two to learn about my very own P1 back too: I have the IQ1 60, but encountered the same on my older P45+: colours are excellent, but you need to work for / with them. Out of camera, the almost always have a strong blue hue in AWB mode. Until recently, I didn't pay too much attention on this since I knew I'll work with the raw in any case. Recently changed to "daylight" for most of my work, but (again very subjective matter) to my eyes the images do look still a little bit too neutral. How do you handle this?

Back to the topic, impressive to see those colour differences between the two lenses. The main appeal of the Fuji is for me the FPS for using adapted lenses - together with the P1 support - so I rarely would use any native lens.
If I cared enough about colour consistency among lenses, I'd build profiles for them. I haven't bothered because I shoot primarily for black and white. Also, I sold the GF 63/2.8 so I no longer have any Fuji GF lenses. All my lenses are adapted (Pentax, Schneider, Rodenstock). Interestingly, the Pentax, Schneider and Rodenstock lenses I use are not that far apart in terms of how they handle colours. They're a little easier to mix together.

Charles2

The GF cameras have Bayer color filter arrays, while most Fuji X cameras have Fuji's X-Trans color filter array (which I believe evolved from I to II, complicating things further). Maybe that affected how the engineers processed the raw data for the camera .jpg.