The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative to flare buster reflector

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys

I bought a articulating arm that I will attach to my Alpa Max to be able to attach a black reflector to it to block sun flares. There's the flare buster system, but I am looking for a bigger one and without "Flare Buster" imprint. Short of cutting an acrylic plate - is there a good black panel I can use for that?

Thanks
Paul

docholliday

Hi guys

I bought a articulating arm that I will attach to my Alpa Max to be able to attach a black reflector to it to block sun flares. There's the flare buster system, but I am looking for a bigger one and without "Flare Buster" imprint. Short of cutting an acrylic plate - is there a good black panel I can use for that?

Thanks
Paul
The flare buster is nothing more than their version of a grip's flag (and a poor imitation at that). You could get the actual flag/cutter kits and use those. Some have folding frames that make transporting easier. Matthews makes the nicer stuff. In studio, I use them everywhere to control light bounce and other annoyances.

https://www.msegrip.com/collections/lighting-control/products/flags

There's other stuff there that you could use also to make what you need. In a pinch, you could simply get some black corrugated plastic board and cut what you need. I've done that for irregular sized cutters.

Destin

Dinkum Systems?

Hi guys

Thanks
Paul

Rand47

Hi guys

Thanks
Paul
I often use black foam-core board. Cheap, light, customizable.

Rand

msstudio

If you already have the mounting system you could just buy a roll of black wrap and create your own in size and shape. Also, ARRI makes smaller flags specifically for their Matt boxes, maybe that inspires a solution.
If you don’t have a mounting system you could get a flexible arm that would your mounting point. Or, a bit less sleek but very fast solution would be a Delta 1 flex arm with 2 clamps and either a metal flag, the black wrap or even card board.
And very old school: you could just tape some stiffer black paper around the lens (I used the black Polaroid sleeves from the 8x10 sheets) shift as needed and cut away whatever protrudes the image circle. This works best in a studio environment but with video preview totally easy to make (I used this when shooting 4x5 and 8x10, that’s what the corner cutouts were great for).

Alan

Dollar store or office supply store cheap black plastic 3 ring binder or report cover. Or, black ABS plastic sheet 1-2mm / ~1/16” thick if you have a plastics supply place nearby. Also black mat board.

I have a few different sizes in use. Sometimes it’s nice if the plastic will hold a slight bend for a few minutes. Also handy is one with a floppy side to block top & side - make a hinge with gaff tape.

Paul Spinnler

The flare buster is nothing more than their version of a grip's flag (and a poor imitation at that). You could get the actual flag/cutter kits and use those. Some have folding frames that make transporting easier. Matthews makes the nicer stuff. In studio, I use them everywhere to control light bounce and other annoyances.

https://www.msegrip.com/collections/lighting-control/products/flags

There's other stuff there that you could use also to make what you need. In a pinch, you could simply get some black corrugated plastic board and cut what you need. I've done that for irregular sized cutters.
Awesome - thanks!!!!

docholliday

Awesome - thanks!!!!
I forgot to mention...

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives. Foam-core, corrugated board, black Cinefoil wrapped around something, etc. My favorite is still simply using my hat (Tilley with broad rim) to cast a shadow onto the lens (I think it was an Ansel Adams thing). My problem with the alternate formats, other than a hat, was the horrible transport of the item. Black foam core is cheap, yes. But, it's also impossible to pack a decent sized piece and a chore to keep from bending/destroying it in the field. I tried it a long time ago, had a breeze kick up, and the 16"x16" piece became a sail, trying to pull the tripod over. The piece ended up buckling and that was the end of it.

I do have a few dozen large sheets cut into all kinds of shapes and sizes for use in the studio. Many with dowel rods taped to them for holding into a set via c-stand or grip head.

The thing I like about the "actual" flags from Matthews (there's others out there, but I like to stick with and pay for quality up front) is that they are designed for motion picture sets. That makes them "field-tested" for durability and portability. I think my set is some 20 years old and still working good!