The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P1: Surface Pro vs Macbook in a peli tethering

Paul Spinnler

Hi there

I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to tethering with a Surface Pro attached via a clamp to a tripod vs having a Macbook in a peli beside the tripod.

I think the Macbook Pro is more powerful but it is more cumbersome to have it beside the tripod when you are shooting; ttis being said some good solutions exist such as the tethering kit from innovativ which comes even with a shade.

Then theres the ingenious Surface pro. There is a tablet like clamp from I think tethertools which allows one to attach the laptop to a tripod. Problem here is the power of the machine and the lack of shade options.

Say you are high on a tripod and want to shoot outside - how practical is a surface pro in full sunlight?

Good thing about Surface seems that the setup is a lot more nimble.

Thank you for your views
Paul

jng

I may be an outlier (in fact I know I am) but I routinely tether to my MacBook in the field (picture below). I either just hold it in one hand or rest it in my tripod hammock if there's nothing nearby for me to set it down on. I thought about building a contraption to attach the computer to the tripod but decided against it as the tradeoff in bulk is not worth it to me. I also considered the Surface Pro (Ken Doo and Don Libby here came up with a nice way to mount it to the sticks) but being a long time Mac guy and too old to learn new tricks, decided to stay with the Mac.

Glare from the sun can be a problem, partially solved by shielding the screen with your body or better yet just shooting during twilight hours. :ROTFL: YMMV, of course.

Hope this helps.

John

GGB BTS 12_16_2018.jpg

mikeleland

I tether almost 100% of the time. I shoot mostly corporate work and interiors. Rarely any landscape type work unless it’s an environmental portrait.

I usually work with a DIT cart from INOVATIV, but when I need to be very lightweight, I use an INOVATIV Digiplate pro with 15” MBP.

I have tried several times to get the surface pro to “work” for me. Aside from poor battery and performance issues, the all touch environment is not conducive to an efficient workflow. The allure of being so lightweight is definitely there, but I just haven’t been able to make it work. But the MBP attached to a tripod really is a joy to use. INOVATIV’s

Godfrey

I'm going to be doing some tethering with the 907x and other solutions using the CFVII 50c back. Phocus Mobile 2 does a good job running on an iPad Pro 11" software wise for this back, so thanks for the DigiPlate and DigiBracket references. :)

G

anyone

I may be an outlier (in fact I know I am) but I routinely tether to my MacBook in the field (picture below). I either just hold it in one hand or rest it in my tripod hammock if there's nothing nearby for me to set it down on. I thought about building a contraption to attach the computer to the tripod but decided against it as the tradeoff in bulk is not worth it to me. I also considered the Surface Pro (Ken Doo and Don Libby here came up with a nice way to mount it to the sticks) but being a long time Mac guy and too old to learn new tricks, decided to stay with the Mac.

Glare from the sun can be a problem, partially solved by shielding the screen with your body or better yet just shooting during twilight hours. :ROTFL: YMMV, of course.

Hope this helps.

John
John, thank you for sharing this. A tripod hammock seems to cost close to nothing, and it solves a ton of problems for me. I wasn't aware that it exists.

jng

John, thank you for sharing this. A tripod hammock seems to cost close to nothing, and it solves a ton of problems for me. I wasn't aware that it exists.
The tripod hammock is also quite handy to keep things like filters, lens caps, etc. at hand - I just stash them under the little laptop. It can also catch things that slip through butterfingers (don't ask me how I know :loco:).

John