The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 III and Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS reviewed on medium format

vieri

Always looking for great wide-angle options for my Hasselblad X1D, I decided to examine the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 III vs Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS. While I tested them on the Hasselblad X1D, the results will of course apply to FujiFilm GFX users as well, and have been surprisingly interesting.

Both lenses are useable on the 44 x 33mm sensor, with limitations of course, but the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 III is definitely the most interesting of the two.

Here is the full article: CANON 16-35MM F/2.8 III VS F/4 ON MEDIUM FORMAT IN-DEPTH REVIEW

I hope you'll find it useful, and I am looking forward to your thoughts. Best regards,

Vieri

vieri

UPDATE - Tested both lens with baffle removed

Upon various forum members' request, I went and tested both lenses removing the internal baffle present in both lenses. I then updated the review adding "no baffle" corner series at all tested focal lengths to check both zoom's behaviour without the baffle on.

In short, removing the baffle makes the f/4 lens usable on the X1D with no vignetting at the long end, and helps with the f/2.8 lens as well. At the short end, there is no difference in hard vignetting coming from removing the baffle; soft vignette becomes softer, but not dramatically so.

The problem, however, is that unfortunately removing the baffle also removes sharpness (from both lenses), limiting their usability to f/8 - f/11 (and sometimes even stopping down doesn't bring enough sharpness back).

For details and images, the link is still https://www.vieribottazzini.com/202...-vs-f-4-on-medium-format-in-depth-review.html

Hope this helps! Best regards

Vieri