The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help With Using Hassy CF Lenses on X1D

rollsman44

I have been reading that the CF lenses work very good on the X1D. My question is: Do you have to use Electronic shutter and if so is it easier to use the CF lenses ? My purpose id to get a CF 80mm f2,8 for my portraits on the X1D
Thank you

B L

Bob Shaw wrote in another forum, "On the previous expensive adaptor for V series to H series there was a mechanism to cock the shutter.
I think they have decided with V to X to do away with that and just control the aperture.
So you need the electronic shutter to be the actual shutter.
So the lens shutter is not being used it would appear.
Electronic shutter can not be used with moving objects and you lose the advantage of a leaf lens shutter with high speed flash sync."

nameBrandon

B L is correct. There is no way to use the mechanical shutter with the V-series lenses on the X1D. This is one reason I picked up the 907x/CFVii 50c. You can use the back with your 500 series body, and then the C/CF lenses.. then you get mechanical shutter capabilities.

nameBrandon

Will the HC lenses work with Mechanical shutter?
Yes. Autofocus may not though, it depends on the lens firmware, I believe it needs to be v18 or higher. The rule of thumb is the most orange dot H lenses will autofocus, non-orange dot will not. Not always true, but close enough.

Leaf shutter should be activated on all H lenses, if you look at the actual XH adapter you can see the electrical contacts for communication / power between the camera and lenses.

B L

Brandon, HC lenses are excellent apart from needing a wheelbarrow if carring about 3 or more of those !

med

Early on I asked Hasselblad (I think a rep was posting here?) if you could use the CF to H adaptor along with the H to X adaptor and was told that it wasn’t supported, however I don’t know if anyone has actually tried double stacking the adaptors like this. Seems like it would be possible as long as the X1D has the software to communicate properly with the “lens”.

Godfrey

Hasselblad V system lenses can be used and image beautifully with the XV Adapter, but the lens shutter operation is not supported, so you need to use the eshutter in the X1D (or 907x/CFVII 50c) bodies.

Hasselblad H system lenses are also compatible utilizing the XH Adapter, supporting the lens shutter on all of them. Support for AF depends on having the compatible lens and body firmware installed ... See the Hasselblad website for details on compatibility of H system lenses with the XH Adapter with regards to autofocus, they have a complete list updated just recently.

Stacking the XH and HV Adapters to get lens shutter capability on V system lenses with X system cameras... I think I read somewhere in the past on this or another forum that this was tried and was completely non functional. I wasn't tracking it explicitly because the HV Adapter was way too expensive anyway. The XV adapter lists at $250, the XH Adapter lists at $350 ... the HV adapter was more than double that, if I recall correctly.

With some ingenuity, someone could use an XV Adapter and the lens mount end of a Flexbody to cobble together a working XV Adapter supporting V system lens shutter use, but it's going to cost a bit just to get the parts and it's not going to be particularly well integrated into the X1D or 907x workflow. Now there's a little project to sink your teeth into... :D

G

sog1927

Or the pre-automatic bellows, for that matter (which also has a facility for cocking and firing the lens).

It would have been better if they'd just done a proper job on the XV. I'd have bought one for sure.

Hasselblad V system lenses can be used and image beautifully with the XV Adapter, but the lens shutter operation is not supported, so you need to use the eshutter in the X1D (or 907x/CFVII 50c) bodies.

Hasselblad H system lenses are also compatible utilizing the XH Adapter, supporting the lens shutter on all of them. Support for AF depends on having the compatible lens and body firmware installed ... See the Hasselblad website for details on compatibility of H system lenses with the XH Adapter with regards to autofocus, they have a complete list updated just recently.

Stacking the XH and HV Adapters to get lens shutter capability on V system lenses with X system cameras... I think I read somewhere in the past on this or another forum that this was tried and was completely non functional. I wasn't tracking it explicitly because the HV Adapter was way too expensive anyway. The XV adapter lists at $250, the XH Adapter lists at $350 ... the HV adapter was more than double that, if I recall correctly.

With some ingenuity, someone could use an XV Adapter and the lens mount end of a Flexbody to cobble together a working XV Adapter supporting V system lens shutter use, but it's going to cost a bit just to get the parts and it's not going to be particularly well integrated into the X1D or 907x workflow. Now there's a little project to sink your teeth into... :D

G

Godfrey

Or the pre-automatic bellows, for that matter (which also has a facility for cocking and firing the lens).

It would have been better if they'd just done a proper job on the XV. I'd have bought one for sure.
Perhaps. It would have been pretty expensive, like the HV Adapter. I wonder if they just didn't sell enough adapters at that price point for it to be worth the development effort for lack of enough sales to make a profit. Or if a technical matter prevented them from doing such an implementation.

Regardless, we have what they made. It works well for what it is.

G