The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anyone tried the Hasselblad CFV II 50c with tech camera?

DavidJA

Hey there. Wondering if anyone has tried the new Hasselblad CFV II 50c with a tech camera? If so what lenses have worked and any other thoughts would be appreciated. Seems like a wonderfully adaptable system.

Cheers

David Agnello
www.davidagnello.com

usm

Would be nice to have a thread about some shift options for the CFV II 50c.
I am thinking to move to the MF-format, coming from Leica M, where I am using an old Leica R 28mm shift lens and a 21mm. Which is nice for me.

I had a demo of the CFV II 50c with 45p lens - very compact combo (like the M is) which is important for an always-with-me camera.

BUT: There are a lot more shift options with the CFV II 50c.

Arca/Alpa/Cambo: I am looking for a +- 28mm (full format) lens which +- 15-20mm shift. Which Rodenstock and Schneider lenses are good for this digital back (40mm/35mm/32mm)?
I am not interested in the super-wide Rodenstock lenses.
Are there simpler shift lenses around or shift adapters for other lenses?
Is the HTS 1,5 TILT/SHIFT-ADAPTER an option?
The arc body would one, I think.

thanks, Mario

tcdeveau

Would be nice to have a thread about some shift options for the CFV II 50c.
I am thinking to move to the MF-format, coming from Leica M, where I am using an old Leica R 28mm shift lens and a 21mm. Which is nice for me.

I had a demo of the CFV II 50c with 45p lens - very compact combo (like the M is) which is important for an always-with-me camera.

BUT: There are a lot more shift options with the CFV II 50c.

Arca/Alpa/Cambo: I am looking for a +- 28mm (full format) lens which +- 15-20mm shift. Which Rodenstock and Schneider lenses are good for this digital back (40mm/35mm/32mm)?
I am not interested in the super-wide Rodenstock lenses.
Are there simpler shift lenses around or shift adapters for other lenses?
Is the HTS 1,5 TILT/SHIFT-ADAPTER an option?
The arc body would one, I think.

thanks, Mario
Hi Mario,
Did you click the link above? There are examples with the CFVII and SK 35XL, 40HR, and 70HR.

My understanding with Alpa/Arca/Cambo is you’re going to be limited to the 32 or 40mm rodenstocks if you’re looking for +/- 15-20mm. That would probably change if/when they release a CFVII with the BSI sensor of the GFX100.

The HTS 1.5 might be an option, but you have to stack with the XH adapter, and the widest you’d get is 36mm (with the 24mm HCD). Idk if you’d get +/- 15-20mm with that setup, and you’d be 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to a tech cam and 40HR for the money (if you bought on the second hand market).

The 40mm CFE IF for the V-system also might be an option if you can find a good copy, but idk the range of movement you’d get.
-Todd

usm

Well, I was looking at the files.
The SK 35mm XL doesn’t do a good job in the corners with 10mm shift. The 40mm Rodenstock is not wide enough.
The 32mm Rodenstock is insanely expensive.
How is a older 28mm Rodenstock? There is one for sale.
What would be a second hand 32mm Rodenstock?
Any other options?

Or I go with Hasselblad 21 or 30 and do the corrections in post, which is another discussion.

Thanks.

Boinger

Well, I was looking at the files.
The SK 35mm XL doesn’t do a good job in the corners with 10mm shift. The 40mm Rodenstock is not wide enough.
The 32mm Rodenstock is insanely expensive.
How is a older 28mm Rodenstock? There is one for sale.
What would be a second hand 32mm Rodenstock?
Any other options?

Or I go with Hasselblad 21 or 30 and do the corrections in post, which is another discussion.

Thanks.
I have the rodenstock 23mm. Which is very good very sharp, but I don't know how it will fair on an older sensor. I have the iq4 150. It gives about 2-3mm of movement on that so on a smaller sensor you would get a bit more.

4*Paul

The 40mm CFE IF for the V-system also might be an option if you can find a good copy, but idk the range of movement you’d get.
-Todd
I thought that the video, linked below, was relevant to this thread (even though it’s an X1D rather than a CFV) so hope you find it interesting.

After a long period of taking some lovely shots with an X1D, James Bell has moved to a Cambo Actus XCD with Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF lens (I think) - and the X1D as a Tech Cam.

It sounds like a nice combination and I’m hoping he is going to show us a bit more about how it works out in practice.

https://youtu.be/I7hvzSsYiJg

I trust that I’m ok “promoting” this video but I thought it could be interesting to others on this forum and have absolutely no personal connection with Mr Bell except to watch his calm and thoughtful sessions on photographing the Lake District.
Paul.

nameBrandon

I thought that the video, linked below, was relevant to this thread (even though it’s an X1D rather than a CFV) so hope you find it interesting.

After a long period of taking some lovely shots with an X1D, James Bell has moved to a Cambo Actus XCD with Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF lens (I think) - and the X1D as a Tech Cam.

It sounds like a nice combination and I’m hoping he is going to show us a bit more about how it works out in practice.

https://youtu.be/I7hvzSsYiJg

I trust that I’m ok “promoting” this video but I thought it could be interesting to others on this forum and have absolutely no personal connection with Mr Bell except to watch his calm and thoughtful sessions on photographing the Lake District.
Paul.
Thanks for sharing! I love that guy. So calming to watch.. he's like that tree-painting fellow, but for photographers.. :)

A few of us have used this exact setup (in fact, I bought my Actus X1D from a member here). It works well, though I think the smaller technical cameras with DB are a better fit for landscape / travel use. If I were a product / commercial photographer and stayed in the studio, or drove everywhere with big Pelican cases and an SUV/truck, it's a great option for sure.

The few X1D + Actus users that I've interacted with have ultimately moved on to the 907x/cfvii50c combo. Both are good fits, I think it just depends on what percentage of your time you spend in "XCD" mode vs technical-camera mode (and if you truly need/want the front movements).

jng

At the risk of starting/propagating rumors, Cambo posted the following on their Facebook site today (emphasis mine):

We love this video by James Bell. You'd need to sit down and take your time, but it's worth it. James at work in the beautiful Lake District. And meanwhile he talks you through working with the Cambo Actus combined with a Hasselblad X1D and a Distagon CF-40.
When the X1D is used on an Actus (or any other view camera) the body will be in Electronic Shutter mode. Which is fine for landscape. For use on our WRS tech cams we will introduce an option to use the HB lens' leaf shutter though. This may be of interest for those of you who use the new CFV-50c mk2 back and want to add some shift. And in this video James clearly shows how your images can benefit from this.
https://www.jamesbellphotography.co.uk/

I don't think I've used the leaf shutters on my dedicated tech cam lenses since acquiring the IQ3100 a few years ago, but if this comes to be it would open up some nice possibilities for flash sync, shooting moving subjects including people, and for photographers using backs without electronic shutter.

John

mristuccia

At the risk of starting/propagating rumors, Cambo posted the following on their Facebook site today (emphasis mine):

We love this video by James Bell. You'd need to sit down and take your time, but it's worth it. James at work in the beautiful Lake District. And meanwhile he talks you through working with the Cambo Actus combined with a Hasselblad X1D and a Distagon CF-40.
When the X1D is used on an Actus (or any other view camera) the body will be in Electronic Shutter mode. Which is fine for landscape. For use on our WRS tech cams we will introduce an option to use the HB lens' leaf shutter though. This may be of interest for those of you who use the new CFV-50c mk2 back and want to add some shift. And in this video James clearly shows how your images can benefit from this.

I don't think I've used the leaf shutters on my dedicated tech cam lenses since acquiring the IQ3100 a few years ago, but if this comes to be it would open up some nice possibilities for flash sync, shooting moving subjects including people, and for photographers using backs without electronic shutter.

John
This would be even more interesting for those owning the CFV-50c Mk1 like me. Cross fingers... :)

EDIT: oops, damn it, it will probably be for the V lenses. I already have the Litz-studio adapter for this. For a moment I've thought it could be an adapter for the H or the X lens series. I'd like to have an super wide option with leaf shutter and at a reasonably affordable price...

Last edited:

nameBrandon

John
Hrm, wonder if they're going to take the litz-studio adapter and mass produce it. I don't think I've tested this yet as I don't use the Cambo in the studio but with the cfv2 and an adapter that can cock the shutter mechanism, it should just a matter of the right sync cables (shutter to DB, DB to flash) and the camera in flash-sync mode.

jng

Welp in response to my query on the Cambo FB post re: can we really expect a V-WRS adapter that can trigger and cock the leaf shutter, I received the rather cryptic reply "Time will tell." :mad: I suppose this is about the most I could expect but not sure if I should consider myself punked or teased. In retrospect this was probably not even worth discussing until the thing actually appears. Time will tell...

John

jng

Fortunately nobody will need to wait for Cambo since it already exists:)
True, although the availability of the existing adapter can be spotty, presumably dependent on when he can get his hands on a Flexbody to cannibalize...

John

usm

Does it make sense to think about using a XPan 30mm lens as a shift lens if there are adapter/plates what ever...

Godfrey

Does it make sense to think about using a XPan 30mm lens as a shift lens if there are adapter/plates what ever...
That depends on whether the XPan 30mm lens has internal baffling to fit the 65x24mm format. If it does, it's mostly unusable on the 44x33 format for full frame capture.

G

usm

That depends on whether the XPan 30mm lens has internal baffling to fit the 65x24mm format. If it does, it's mostly unusable on the 44x33 format for full frame capture.

G
I don’t have the lens, but what I saw there is no baffling.

It full mechanical lens, available in 30mm with center filter.
Putting it on Actus or WDS would be interesting.

jng

Apparently someone at Cambo is having a little fun with me on Facebook, but it seems there's reason to believe that a fully functional V-WRS lens adapter is in the works. From their FB post this morning:

"The lever on the barrel is there to cock the shutter. Press cable release to close, press again to expose. Sync cable between the shutter's X-contact and the back. Strobes can be synced to the back. Works nicely."
Cambo V shutter adapter.jpg

John

EDIT: I just received a follow-up response from Cambo on FB: "We'll introduce it officially next week. With some decent product shots. "

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

It full mechanical lens, available in 30mm with center filter.
Putting it on Actus or WDS would be interesting.
I suspect it will also be a bit of a challenge, too.

Because the Xpan's FFD is 34.27 mm and once you subtract the thickness of the Actus and/or WDS bodies from that, you will have very little space (best guess is 10-12 mm) available to accommodate both the camera and lens mounts.

Of the two, I think it will be easier to use the WDS because it doesn't tilt or swing, so as long as there even a minimal amount of clearance between the rear of the lens / lens mount and the back's cover glass, you're good to go.

With tilt or swing movements, however, the camera body must also provide sufficient space between the lens and camera mounts so the rear of the lens (or more likely, the lens mount panel) doesn't contact the sensor's cover glass or the camera mount as it rotates around its center axis.

For a person possessing the necessary skills and resources, though -- and that is definitely not me! -- I do believe this project falls within the realm of possibility, at least mechanically.

Whether the resulting camera performs well enough to justify such effort is another matter altogether and I offer no opinion about that...