The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 907x SE Control Grip and Optical Viewfinder Announced

glennedens

Godfrey, apologies for the ontological infraction, however I was channeling you from post #223 in this thread https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ital-backs/66407-hasselblad-cfv-ll-50c-5.html. :) Seriously though, I wanted to thank you for your generous sharing of your 907x SE images, experiences and experiments - they really informed my 907x SE purchase. Got the 907xSE yesterday and been having fun learning its operation. I'm a tripod shooter so waiting for the DAP-1 plate (hopefully will arrive soon) to get out and attempt some serious landscape work. The 907x is a great compliment to the X1Dii and my Rollie X-ACT2 (if anyone remembers those?). I had loaned out my old 501cm kit so looking forward to getting that back later this summer. Again thanks Godfrey.

Kind regards,

Glenn

Remember that a digital camera (and the CFVII 50c back) is essentially an embedded computer system. I suspect the limitation that the 'standard' release of the CFVII 50c "cannot run the older firmware" is a simple consequence of the fact that the software for it has encryption such that you cannot load older versions of the software once the latest version has been installed ... same as your iPhone or Android, iPad, etc. ... because they only have a forward update mechanism for it (the authentication keys do not allow bidirectional deconvolution). It's a tool to prevent mistaken 'downgrading' of the device by users trying to load the wrong software, and also to help prevent bugs and other virii from propagating (remember that the CFVII 50c with a built-in WiFi hotspot is also a communications carrier).

The start up screen for the Special Edition model can be triggered by the boot-up sequence simply finding the internal identity of the back and providing a different startup graphic ... that's no big deal at all. I don't think there's any hardware difference between the SE version and the latest standard version other than the kind of typical component drift that might occur when a new resistor that replaces an original resistor gets adopted because the old one was aged out of production and a replacement sourced, etc. If there WAS a significant difference, it would likely be ballyhooed by marketing as a new feature or capability.

I also suspect that one of the reasons the standard version has taken a while to surface is that Hasselblad wanted to be ready with these accessories for that introduction ... It's one thing to be late delivering the accessories you showed at announcement date for a special edition that some subset of the community is willing to pay a premium to own because it's a special edition; it's quite another to not have important accessories available for the standard production line model when it ships because this is when the bulk of the users who might want a new product will be buying. The introduction of even the Special Edition was delayed by a few months from their prognostication at announcement time (which had to be keyed to the Apollo First Landing celebration) most likely from delays in sorting out the final bugs needed to allow release. The standard edition means having to be that much more well-sorted at release time, with a short or no delay to the essential accessories ... AND THEN no way to know that a global pandemic of devastating impact on people, business, shipping, etc would all happen right in the middle of the ramp up.

It's a fun game being a hardware manufacturer. :D

A particular little language beef of mine: I didn't "pre-order" anything. I honestly don't know what a "pre-order" is—What distinguishes a pre-order from any other order for an announced, future product that isn't shipping quite yet? I've ordered many products over the years that weren't available yet but were scheduled to be available within a near-term future time. I place an order based on an announcement and a price estimate, when the product comes in I pay the money and it's shipped to me. The whole notion of a "pre-order" is semantically confused far as I'm concerned ... Is that an order I place before the actual order or what? LOL! :)

But anyway: I just spoke with the same dealer I bought the 907x from (Denny Semick at Dodd Camera in Cleveland, Ohio) and told him to place me on his order list for whenever the grip and viewfinder become available. I've been very happy to do business with Denny and Dodd Camera over the course of the past year. Now I sit back and wait for the products to come into stock and get shipped to me... I'm not in any rush at all. Once they get here, I'll figure out how to use them best for my photography... :thumbup:

G