The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you photograph with your Alpa TC/STC/SWA?

jodad

Seems the great majority use theirs for landscapes and slow set up shots like advertisement photog.

Been through the ALPA photographers list and their sample portfolios and seems all those photogs listed under topics like photojournalism and documentary, when you look at their photos taken with their ALPA cameras, they're all landscapes and the like. Very little movement if any at all.

Anyone shoot less setup stuff?

darr

What do you photograph with your Alpa TC/STC/SWA?
My Alpa cameras (SWA and TC, traded off my Max) are always used on a tripod.
Why? Focusing and framing mostly. I shoot mostly landscape and architecture with them.

Copal shutter lenses, live view for focus and if filters are used, more time for composition. Even though I do not think of my Alpa cameras as the technical camera my Linhof is, they still operate like a technical camera. I think that is what a lot of Alpa users enjoy, the technical aspects besides the beautiful design. YMMV.

Best to you,
Darr

PS: I also use my TC on a copy stand when I need to digitize certain films.

onasj

Seems the great majority use theirs for landscapes and slow set up shots like advertisement photog.

Been through the ALPA photographers list and their sample portfolios and seems all those photogs listed under topics like photojournalism and documentary, when you look at their photos taken with their ALPA cameras, they're all landscapes and the like. Very little movement if any at all.

All of these were shot handheld on an ALPA TC + IQ4 back:
http://www.alpa.ch/en/portfolios/liu-david-a-weekend-in-sin-city

Frederic

Odd, I can't see anything there.. just an empty Alpa page. Anyone else or just me? I tried Chrome / Safari, incognito mode, etc... even my iPhone.
Same issue here, I wonder if it's related to the absence of an SSL certificate on their website. Even if it's not this should be fixed too.

docholliday

Same issue here, I wonder if it's related to the absence of an SSL certificate on their website. Even if it's not this should be fixed too.
There's an SSL present. It's just that the link previously provided wasn't listed as https. All of the portfolios are blank, not just the one that was posted.

However, choosing a filter with the photographer's name does bring up the pictures directly:
https://www.alpa.ch/filter.php?fotograf%5B%5D=liu-david-r-

Shashin

Not Alpa, but a Horseman SW612. The camera concept is the same, but a 6x12 panorama. I almost exclusively shot it handheld for documentary work. I found it a joy to use.

I think the Alpa crowd are more tripod folks by nature. But I think some of Alpa cameras would be great for more spontaneous work. With the Horseman, it took me a while to come to terms with the optical viewfinder and its lack of precision, but once you kind of overcome the lack of technology and learn to judge focus, it was really fun to shoot. Certainly not for everyone, but I kind of like shooting very basic cameras.

nameBrandon

Yes, even the Vegas skyline photo was taken handheld (though braced against a railing). I am sure because I didn’t pack a tripod on that trip :)
What do you carry that in? Do you have a strap and it hangs around your neck? I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around what this looks like if you purposely went out without a tripod. Do you only bring one lens, or do you swap lenses while you're out? I'm so amazed by this.. :)

Fantastic work by the way, very impressive.

onasj

What do you carry that in? Do you have a strap and it hangs around your neck? I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around what this looks like if you purposely went out without a tripod. Do you only bring one lens, or do you swap lenses while you're out? I'm so amazed by this.. :)

Fantastic work by the way, very impressive.
Thanks for the kind words. The TC + IQ4 + Rodenstock 50 HR is reallly quite a compact system. Typically I carry it in a F-stop micro tiny case ($45, padded on all sides, 4”x6”x8”). I added a strap and wear it cross-body. Can fit two extra batteries in the case by carefully setting up a divider. Focused with live view + focus peaking. Copal shutter or electronic shutter (the former is best if there’s any rolling shutter issues). Not as crazy as it sounds. Then again, I shoot NBA games with a Leica M rangefinder so my definition of not crazy may not be shared by everyone: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37601806@N05/

I guess I like the experience of shooting manual focus.