The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Display Protection for Phase One backs

anyone

Hi,

I'd like to exchange the original display protection foil from my IQ1 60 with something more durable. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

docholliday

Hi,

I'd like to exchange the original display protection foil from my IQ1 60 with something more durable. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!
I use the only tempered glass ones that I can find for protection, as most films don't do much good. Problem is that it's impossible to find in the US, so I had to order from Germany. Took about a month to get them, but they work great, fit dead on with no gaps around the screen, and retain the glass feel of touching the screen. Good screen response too.

https://www.protectionfilms24.com/article/brotect-airglass-glass-screen-protector-phaseone-iq180-2709874.html

It's a laminated glass type protector, which is much thinner and more flexible than the thick glass "tempered" glass types more common on phones. I've been using the Brotect protectors on phones, cameras, and high-end audio players for a few years. They hold up better, don't get sticky, and have never yellowed on me.

anyone

Thank you - the ones from Germany are interesting, as I live there. However, I couldn't find on their page any Brotect AirGlass for the IQ1 60? It's available for the IQ2 60 and also the IQ1 80 which may be even more similar - I would assume it has the same display dimensions though?

docholliday

Thank you - the ones from Germany are interesting, as I live there. However, I couldn't find on their page any Brotect AirGlass for the IQ1 60? It's available for the IQ2 60 - I would assume it has the same display dimensions though?
Lucky you! You'll get the protector in days! I bought that one for the IQ180 and use it on a IQ250 without any sizing issues! Be careful when you apply the protector as it is a dead-nuts perfect fit. You may consider ordering a second one in case you screw up the first one putting it on. I simply use tape along one edge so that I can pivot the protector. Line it up and tape it, then flip it over and dust the screen/protector. Peel the film and flip it back over. When it is fitted correctly, I can't feel any of the edges of the protector. The first time I placed it, I was .25mm or so too far to the right and it left a raised lip I could feel.

As far as I know the screen sizing on the backs are (most/all) the same. I don't think they've changed the case design too much. Maybe Doug or Steve would be able to answer that more in detail or could check a few different backs with a caliper.

anyone

I just ordered the one for the IQ1 80 - the Phase One data sheet indicated that the screen sizes should be identical. We'll see - if I screw up, I'll order another one. This is one of the very rare occassions that something is actually more convenient to get on this side of the pond. Usually it's the other way around :)

Thank you all for your help!

docholliday

I just ordered the one for the IQ1 80 - the Phase One data sheet indicated that the screen sizes should be identical. We'll see - if I screw up, I'll order another one. This is one of the very rare occassions that something is actually more convenient to get on this side of the pond. Usually it's the other way around :)

Thank you all for your help!
Please let us know what you think of the protector. I'd love to hear somebody else's thoughts on those Brotect protectors...not too many people use them.

I spent a month looking all over for a "real" protector and not just some film. Then, after waiting another month to get it, I'm really happy that I waited for glass instead of polymer film.

You're right that this may be the first case of it being *more* convenient to get something on your side of the pond! BTW, protectionfilms24 is based out of Germany...you get access to all their nice selection without having to wait. I'm jealous!

anyone

I will report once I get it. Actually I was a bit exaggerating, there are a few weirdo things that are possibly a little easier here: scanner mounting fluid (for those who drum scan), real Hasselblad service for cameras, lenses, scanners, Linhof factory around here, Schneider and Rodenstock factories ... :)

anyone

Now the foil arrived and I applied it. It's a little larger than the glass itself, but that is not a problem for me. Application was easy, and it looks more durable than foil and is very thin. We will see in time how it goes, but so far a thumbs-up! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your recommendation!

docholliday

Now the foil arrived and I applied it. It's a little larger than the glass itself, but that is not a problem for me. Application was easy, and it looks more durable than foil and is very thin. We will see in time how it goes, but so far a thumbs-up! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your recommendation!
Wow, that was quick! Perks of being in Germany...thanks for the update! I thought mine was a hair too big too, but it actually was that I was off in the application by .25-.5mm on one edge and the opposite side sat up high so it had an airgap underneath making the overlap look huge. I ended up taking it back off and reapplying with a magnifier to watch the first edge. That tiny gap made it feel like it was waay too big and the edge that sat up was very rough feeling. Once I got it all seated right, it "disappeared" onto the screen.

Did you do the little test that they suggest in the instructions to take the little left over strip of glass and bend it? It does spider web like glass but was very flexible. Great material, just wished it was easier to get here in the US.

anyone

I ended up reapplying the glass as well - you were right about the size, when it's applied spot on, then the air vanishes. The fit could still be better though, especially in the edges, but hey, it's a protector for EUR / USD 6, and it's thin. I like it, since it protects the display and almost disappears. I did the test with the leftover glass too, impressive!

docholliday

I ended up reapplying the glass as well - you were right about the size, when it's applied spot on, then the air vanishes. The fit could still be better though, especially in the edges, but hey, it's a protector for EUR / USD 6, and it's thin. I like it, since it protects the display and almost disappears. I did the test with the leftover glass too, impressive!
That was my thought too. Cheap, good quality, and no plasticy film feeling! The only part on my screen that's barely noticeable are the rounded corners. They're just a hair smaller than the actual screen, but you have to really look to notice it. The edges are dead on otherwise.

I always figured that laminated glass is used on car windshields and large windows can take bunches of impacts without breaking, so it was better than film or "solid" glass protectors. So far, mine's been solid for over a year, even after getting banged on by keys, buckles, straps, and other random objects when the camera is on my side.

Glad it worked out for you!