The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 35mm Flektagon for Hy6 availablility?

Hauxon

Any news on this lens? If I remember correctly it was supposed to be released Q2 2008.

PS. Do you think a Sinar hy6 and 54LV back would be a good choice for landscape/nature photography?

Best, Hrannar

Graham Mitchell

Btw, if you are getting this system, I have a 40mm lens on ebay at the moment (like new), which is a great, compact lens and currently the widest rectilinear lens for this platform.

Stuart Richardson

Hi Hrannar,

I have not heard about any recent news on the 35mm. The 40mm is still pretty wide though. If you want to go wider, a technical camera is probably the best option.

And yes, I think the Hy6 and 54LV makes a good landscape camera. The only real thing you would need to be aware of is that it is not weather sealed, so you would have to cover it in the rain here. If you are interested in the camera, you are welcome to give me a ring or email and come buy to check it out. No obligations...it would be nice to meet another GetDPI person here anyway.
Best,
Stuart

Paratom

Any news on this lens? If I remember correctly it was supposed to be released Q2 2008.

PS. Do you think a Sinar hy6 and 54LV back would be a good choice for landscape/nature photography?

Best, Hrannar
I like it for landscape photogaphy. I think both the WLF and the 45 degree finder are great for landscape photography.
Of course there is the 40mm limitation-so you need to know if this is wide enough for you.
One other thing I like is that the mirror stays up when you do exposure bracketing.

Paratom

I really wouldnt expect any new lenses. I think we can be happy if there is still support for our Hy6 cameras.
(Many years ago I sold my Hy6 for a Leica S2 - but last year I bought another Hy6 (AFI) for film use. I still think it is a great camera and very good lenses. Too bad Rollei went out of business.

axiom

I really wouldnt expect any new lenses. I think we can be happy if there is still support for our Hy6 cameras.
(Many years ago I sold my Hy6 for a Leica S2 - but last year I bought another Hy6 (AFI) for film use. I still think it is a great camera and very good lenses. Too bad Rollei went out of business.
The Flektogon has always been put as "in preparation", so I would imagine the lens isn't too far off from coming to the market. Not introducing it means all the prior work is vain. That would be a big pity.

Where did you get the film backs from?
I am also looking for some film backs for my Hy6.

Stuart Richardson

The Flektogon has always been put as "in preparation", so I would imagine the lens isn't too far off from coming to the market. Not introducing it means all the prior work is vain. That would be a big pity.

Where did you get the film backs from?
I am also looking for some film backs for my Hy6.
Axiom -- the Hy6 is a nice camera, but I would not waste much time waiting for the company to introduce new things...my guess is that it will never happen. When I had the Hy6 and 6008AF, I waited years for them release lenses and the 6060 back. I finally gave up at some point. They did eventually produce that 6060 back in limited quantities, but the system has always been a dead end. In that way, it is not unlike the fabulous 200 series Hasseblad cameras. They are both fantastic cameras and camera systems that were never embraced enough by the users to really take off.

The legacy companies of Rollei have cycled through bankruptcies for years. The amount of money required to launch a new lens, distribute it and sell it to enough people...it seems unlikely. I would be surprised if there were more than 1000 people still using a Hy6 across the entire world. Like Paratom, I traded my system for a Leica S2, and I am very happy I did. That said, for film the Hy6 is still a nice camera, but in that way I think it should be compared to other systems like it...Contax 645, Pentax 645 etc. The Hy6 has some nice flexibility because of the lens availability and the 6x6 back, but I would not hold up too much hope that it will ever be resurrected. I think you would have more luck going to the factory and clearing away the cobwebs to hopefully find a lens tucked in a corner in a cabinet or calling the CEO directly and offering to buy their pre-production copy.

Geoff

Well of that limited number of Hy6 users, here’s another one. Been using Rollei gear since early 90s, Hy6 for about 8 years, first with Leaf AFI back, now with Credo 60. Quite satisfied with the system, like the WLF, and lovely affordable glass. Its kind of like an upgraded Hassy, V with enough electronic controls and flexibility todo what you want, but the classic good Schneider or Zeiss glass.

The Flektagon was an idea put in motion during on of the many revival efforts, all of which seemed to involve some same leadership individuals; none of which really got legs to grow the system. I think the Flektagon made it to a prototype stage, but it was quite expensive - at one point something like $10k or more per lens was thrown around for a very limited run.

Never quite saw the need for it - there were other ways to get super wides that were lighter, and more cost effective. Anydevelopment should hav gone into more practical aspects, including really making the 6060 back readily available.

Stuart is (sadly) right - not likely coming back as a supported system. It does what it does nicely, I’ve had mine in the mountains nd the Amazon, and really like the wide range of lenses (prefer MF as they don’t go wrong). For instance, the 250 Zeiss is decent size, 1/1000 shuttler, super great optics and under $1k. With the manual focus confirmation, its pretty easy to use.

There are a few ways to use the digital backs on other platforms such as adapters to Linhof and Alpa if one is inclined and able. Those are drying up. Its pretty much a decent path that seems to have run its course.Will keep using it until something better, or it stops working.

Another Hy6 user here! Actually a Hy6 Mod 2 with the rare 6060 back. I purchased mine used from Eric at Rollei USA. I even purchased a new 6060 insert this year. As we speak one of my accessories is at the factory for service, so I'm glad DW is still producing some parts and keeping the cameras going. I'm not sure what it's future will be, unless they can convince Phase to make a back for them. Personally I think of it as the ultimate medium format film camera, and I'm not super interested in digital so I am quite happy with what I have.

The autofocus is also good for what it is, I use it regularly with the WLF. The lenses are beyond superb. I have the 50/2.8 AFD, the 80/2.8 AFD, and the 180/2.8 PQ manual focus. The Provia trannys I have are incredibly sharp. I have made 22x22" prints that are tack sharp and still look grainless. I frankly can't wait to switch from RDP100 to E100 when Kodak finally puts Ektachrome in 120.

The lenses on my list to check out are the 40/3.5 SA and the 90/4 Macro Symmar. I had the 80/2 Xenotar for a short while, but IMO the 80 AFD is better in every way but light gathering. The sharpness and contrast are significantly higher even at equal stops. These lenses are so good, I wish someone would compare them to Phase, Hassy H, or Fuji glass. It would be interesting to see how the Schneider designs stack up.

As far as digital, what I hope happens is that someone will make a smart adapter so I can use AFD and PQ/S lenses on a Fuji body. Given the high resolution of MFD I'm not interested in trying to focus that on a ground glass. I have a hard enough time nailing film!

Most underrated system.

Last edited:

Paratom

As I also use mine for film - the biggest problem for me is the price for the 6060 Magazines compared to the 6008-Series.
I decided for the Hy6/AFI because I wanted exp metering and AF with WLF.

As I also use mine for film - the biggest problem for me is the price for the 6060 Magazines compared to the 6008-Series.
I decided for the Hy6/AFI because I wanted exp metering and AF with WLF.
I'll be the first to agree that the price of their film backs is obnoxious. However I do recall that the film back for H series Hasselblad was over $2000, even more expensive! I'm not sure anyone paid that... They're very affordable used. The older backs also had that dumb frame you needed. I should have kept mine so I could more easily get a 645 back. Luckily the inserts aren't too bad. I have 2 for my 6060 back.

The AF performance of the Hy6 and the metering are worth it. Though the 600x series is definitely a great value.

axiom

Where did you guys get the film backs? I am looking for some, but with no luck.
Currently, I am using my Hy6 with eMotion75.

I ditto the WLF & AF. I rely on AF 100% of the time.

Paratom

I am thinking of getting mine modified to mod. 2
I am really motivated to shoot film more often again.

Paratom

Do that when you still can.
Who knows when the company goes down again.
When I talk to them on the phone they were very nice and enthusiastic, so I didnt get the feeling that they plan to close the doors.
I think the Hy6 is a very though out camera, and some of the Rollei lenses are very good. So I really hope this system will be supported for a long time, even if we dont have to expect new development.
I wish other companies would offer to modify a body to the next generation. for example update Leica S 007 to S3 ;)

Where did you guys get the film backs? I am looking for some, but with no luck.
Currently, I am using my Hy6 with eMotion75.

I ditto the WLF & AF. I rely on AF 100% of the time.
I told Eric from Rollei USA that I really needed a 6060 back and would check in from time to time. It took about a year. The only way I got one was because some digital shooter sold his Mod 2 on consignment and it happened to have the back. I traded in my older model Mod 1 (older firmware, no AF upgrade) for the 2. I was using the old camera with the 4560 back but I'm really glad I made the switch. The AF went from just bad to great, and 645 film is a meh format.

I'm surprised they can't put out more of them. I think their excuse is sourcing a specific part... Seems like they could do a production run of 6060s to satisfy demand though.

I know Eric said they do a lot of business in China and Russia, which tracks with high end camera interest trends. So maybe most of the users are digital shooters? They call it Hy6 for a reason. hybrid 6x6/645 Digital. I would think people buy into the system because they want to shoot film and digital. If I just wanted to shoot digital, there are other options that would be great. Hasselblad, Leica, Phase, Fuji, even Pentax!

It's really amazing though. I shoot chromes in aperture priority and the meter just nails it, almost as consistently as my F6. The scans I get from Provia are incredibly fine grained, with those deep blacks and delicate highlights. The only thing I don't like about it is that I neglect my TLR.

Paratom

I told Eric from Rollei USA that I really needed a 6060 back and would check in from time to time. It took about a year. The only way I got one was because some digital shooter sold his Mod 2 on consignment and it happened to have the back. I traded in my older model Mod 1 (older firmware, no AF upgrade) for the 2. I was using the old camera with the 4560 back but I'm really glad I made the switch. The AF went from just bad to great, and 645 film is a meh format.

I'm surprised they can't put out more of them. I think their excuse is sourcing a specific part... Seems like they could do a production run of 6060s to satisfy demand though.

I know Eric said they do a lot of business in China and Russia, which tracks with high end camera interest trends. So maybe most of the users are digital shooters? They call it Hy6 for a reason. hybrid 6x6/645 Digital. I would think people buy into the system because they want to shoot film and digital. If I just wanted to shoot digital, there are other options that would be great. Hasselblad, Leica, Phase, Fuji, even Pentax!

It's really amazing though. I shoot chromes in aperture priority and the meter just nails it, almost as consistently as my F6. The scans I get from Provia are incredibly fine grained, with those deep blacks and delicate highlights. The only thing I don't like about it is that I neglect my TLR.
As I understand production of the 6x6 backs is slow and demand high.
Are you working with just 1 back? Do you scan yourself or do you send it in?