The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focusing screen enhancements

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just wondering if anyone had there screen done by Bill Maxwell. Been thinking about maybe sending one in and making it brighter or easier to focus. Not sure of all the options on this but be interested to hear more about it or if someone else is doing this type of work. Obviously I am looking at the AFDIII body for myself but maybe good info for all if any one knows more about this. I worked with Brightscreen on the DMR and that turned out nice

D

ddk

Bill's screens are an order of magnitude better than Brightsreen's ones. Pick your favorite Mamiya screen and send it to him for the Hilux treatment with the contrast mask, you'll love it.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David I actually have a extra P30 size screen and was thinking about this for more manual focus

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I updated my recently purchased Rollei TLR with a Maxwell screen and am really glad I did. The difference was significant. And I find it allows me to focus accurately (most times) without even using the little fold-up magnifier. It just seems to pop into focus. For the record, I got the model with grid lines, but not the split prism.

Call him up ( doesn't have a web site), he'll chat your ear off but his enthusiasm is contagious.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Question: Is the effect of the Maxwell screen uniform with respect to exposure adjustment? IOW if you add a Maxwell screen, once you determine the exposure compensation required for the new screen, does that delta remain constant as light, aperture and lenses change?

D

ddk

Question: Is the effect of the Maxwell screen uniform with respect to exposure adjustment? IOW if you add a Maxwell screen, once you determine the exposure compensation required for the new screen, does that delta remain constant as light, aperture and lenses change?
I have them in 3 Contax bodies and it doesn't effect exposure.

D

ddk

Thanks Tim. Yea having the extra screen here may help on costs. I will give him a call.
Guy, make sure that its the screen that you want to use and not just one that you have sitting around, ie if you want one with grids or any other type with focus aids available from Mamiya, this will become your primary screen.

D

ddk

Exactly what does he do?
-bob
He has a process called HiLux finish, he takes a stock screen and applies this process to it and you end up with a much brighter screen making focusing much easier even under difficult lighting conditions. You can further customize the screen by asking for a contrast mask to fit your DB's sensor. He'll also do some other custom work and masks if you need it. Based on my previous experience with Brightscreen I was quite skeptical at first but you do get great results with Maxwell's process.

Guy Mancuso

So David I actually have two exact screens .Phase sent me a P30+ when I got the camera when I had the P25+ so they sent me the correct screen . So good news i actually have two . So the contrast mask outside my P30+ lens can be greyed down or is it a total black out. I would maybe like a 20 percent darker mask so I can still see through it.

BTW any idea on costs I know it may have changed but ballpark

D

ddk

So David I actually have two exact screens .Phase sent me a P30+ when I got the camera when I had the P25+ so they sent me the correct screen . So good news i actually have two . So the contrast mask outside my P30+ lens can be greyed down or is it a total black out. I would maybe like a 20 percent darker mask so I can still see through it.

BTW any idea on costs I know it may have changed but ballpark
The outside mask is greyed down and you can specify the percentage if you like. The cost of my conversions were around $300 per screen including shipping.

I assume that you get the stock screen with some kind of mask for the back, that's what I got from Leaf too but I prefer a screen with grid on it so I bought new ones and sent them to him. That's why I mentioned to send him your preferred screen type, if you have any, instead of the basic stock one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have them in 3 Contax bodies and it doesn't effect exposure.
IIRC, Contax takes its reading from a seperate sensor in the body, where in Mamiya I believe it's off the screen, so does anybody have the answer for *Mamiya* bodies? I ask, because one of the Mamiya CF's is for screen choice due to the different exposures different screens can generate.

Guy, you should for sure ask Maxwell this question before laying down hard cash for one of his screens...

D

ddk

IIRC, Contax takes its reading from a seperate sensor in the body, where in Mamiya I believe it's off the screen, so does anybody have the answer for *Mamiya* bodies? I ask, because one of the Mamiya CF's is for screen choice due to the different exposures different screens can generate.

Guy, you should for sure ask Maxwell this question before laying down hard cash for one of his screens...
Bill is very upfront and will tell you if there would be any metering issues with Mamiyas if you ask him.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David I called Doug and he is checking into the metering as well but Bill may already know the answer will call him.