The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P30 Plus Noise test

Dale Allyn

Right, Stephen. Since it's Friday evening Doug should be able to spend all his time between now and late Sunday here with us before he needs to get back to work at C-I. I can think of nothing that should be a distraction for a twenty-something guy in South Beach that would keep him away from GetDPI! What gives??!! I don't get it!

:D

Don Libby

What is this the sales model? Just way too clean; around here we say that dust is a protective coating.:angel:

I can see you really love the back - much the same feeling that I had when I first got mine.

Again congratulations Guy!

Don

Ben Rubinstein

I have 4.6, no problems when changing the colour. Why am I seeing the need for a plus almost stop of exposure Jack if it's perfect? My screen is dead on for print. I am however a complete newby with C1 though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug is processing the files now. My server blocked his e-mail asking for the raw. Spam filters don't always work very good. Turned it off at the server level

Guy Mancuso

My body is at Phase right now they got it this morning for the Firmware update from 1.0 to 1.5 which will take a extra step to update but should be home Wednesday or Thursday. Nice turn time without a rush being applied.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I lied in just showed up at my door. Camera received Monday updated to 1.5 firmware and in my hands Wednesday. I know wish we could do this ourselves and save the energy and cost of shipping but at least it gets back fast. Hopefully the next new body we won't have to do this anymore and I am sure that will be the case.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry for the delayed response everyone. I confirmed the problem today and talked to Phase's support team. The bug is on the test track for the next version, so it should get fixed soon.

Short summary: things don't work right when you set a default noise reduction.

Long summary: When you set a user default for noise reduction (color or luminance) the sliders will always correctly show the intended noise reduction setting (your user defaults), but when the program is drawing on the defaults (either because the image has not been changed at all, or because you've pushed the reset-to-defaults button) the actual noise reduction will be the FACTORY default settings rather than your user defaults. So the noise reduction applies will be different than the sliders indicate. When you move the sliders at all then the program will start applying the correct amount of noise reduction. This can result in a very strange situation where two files (or two versions of the same file) can have the same displayed noise reduction settings but have very different levels of noise reduction applied.

The work around is to not set your own user defaults, and instead save your noise reduction settings as part of a style which you apply immediately to all images you import. If you have already changed the defaults simply select "reset defaults"

This had gone previously unnoticed because it's only obvious when the image is high ISO and the difference between the user-defined-default and factory-default sticks out.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up