Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P30 Plus Noise test

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P30 Plus Noise test

Well you knew it was coming and i shot the same spot previous on the P25 Plus . Before we get into this . I did pick up a stop my previous 800 looks identical to the P30+ 1600. Yes a touch of smearing as expected but still a very usable ISO . And frankly I don't give a care how it gets there with all the mumbo jumbo just that I can shoot it. I also did this under the worse light around tungsten and if noise is going to show this is the worst but I don't test for pretty. I want the worst conditions that hit me. Otherwise you don't know what you got to play with. Here is a Full frame at 1600 with the 28mm . Also going to put the ISO 100 crop in here as well so thing line up nice on posts
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: P30 Plus Noise test

BTW I turned the Luminance down to ZERO all processed in C1 4.8

Here they come 200,400,800 and 1600
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly 400 is excellent on the P30 + than it will go gradually 800 at 100 percent looks pretty darn good. 1600 is holding on but not for dear life and i will be using it under stage lighting a lot actually coming in two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also did NO lens corrections either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay same thing just different local

FF and Iso 100. This was set at daylight on the back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay again 200,400,800 and 1600

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Overall I think pretty good . Maybe more equivalent to a Nikon at 3200 or something like that for 1600. Not sure but it seems pretty good and how often do we use things at 100 percent. LOL

Sometimes I think we pixel peep too much but that is okay good to know what you can and cannot do . Obviously if your in the crappier grab a Nikon or Canon. I could most likely improve it with more luminance for sure and fine tune more. I am slightly under on both series by about a 1/4 of a stop. The 28mm reads more space so you have to be careful of highlights in the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might be underestimating the ISO 800 here . It looks better than I thought on this second series. Any thoughts folks something I am not seeing. Oh end of test

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you hit it on the head --- more detail in the 400 and under, a bit less at 800, and less still at 1600. But as you said, very usable 1600 which is what you were after!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly. What is pretty neat here is when it counts a lot 400 will give you two extra stops when your pushed against the wall on a ad campaign when you really need the big file

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post the same thing: 400 looks very good, 800 usable, 1600 in a pinch, IMO. Though I would avoid 1600 when I could (duh). Just guessing, but they (the 1600 ISO shots) don't look so messy that they'd not clean up pretty nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

For most event and PR work where you'd be needing the ISO1600, it certainly looks more than acceptable for all of those who will be peeking at it and passing judgement on it.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed and that was my criteria was that stuff was my concern and it seems fine for it. Thanks guy's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good work Guy, thank you.

May I ask how far away from camera is the toaster? I'm trying to figure out how useful the 28mm will be for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    Have to add to the other's comments. Things look solid through ISO 400. ISO 800 is starting to lose some of the blacks and get more noise, but far more acceptable than most MF stuff anybody shoots at 800. The 1600 shots are showing even more disintegration of the blacks mostly, but still very acceptable. If you hit with a bit of NR, and maybe move the black point up a notch or so, it would be a very usable shot for what you are looking to cover. The details are holding, but the "pop" is going away a bit at 800 and a bit more at 1600, but still very usable.

Now, just get the firmware updated on the camera, and you should be cooking there. Also, I would still consider shooting a bigger WB target and setting a custom WB if you have the chance. These look good, but I still think it worth tuning the WB before you shoot, and getting the exposure tuned in also. Just suggestions. I have started to find that bit of extra on the front end makes everything come out nicer in processing.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Is that Jergens lotion the secret to your firm, youthful skin?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little playing around here , raised the color and luminance levels some and added a touch of black

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, that increased the noise relative to the first 1600 frame above, at least in the hairbrush and the wood cabinets... IMO the first conversion is superior.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably never notice this in a 8x10 and for event stuff all you will ever need. Even the 800 is better than the P25+ and actually 800 is more normal for this stuff. I would most likely use 1600 when there is just no hope. I guess if I really wanted to work it Noise Ninja or something like that could fine tune this pretty well. Maybe D-Fine. I should send this raw to Jack to run D-fine on it, just to see how it does. I'm not a big noise reduction user

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I think so too bud. First one was at Zero luminance and color at 40 . Second one was at 23 and 57

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm....hard to tell, but it looks like the "grain" came up just a bit compared to your first posting. You are starting to chew into the detail a bit, but it is still fairly acceptable for ISO 1600 on a MF back. I do think the DSLRs will hold a bit more at this ISO, but they too start to see some of the DR compression at those higher ISOs, and they also tend to smear the detail more.

Not as familiar with the NR in C1, as I like using Nik Software Dfine instead, but you should be able to tune things with a bit more testing.

Thanks for sharing these. Always good to see tough/practical testing of the kinds of things that may actually wind up in the final images from shoots.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hold it my bad I hit a sharpness setting by accident . Okay back to normal on that and 23 and 57 settings

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the original file again

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is your first 1600 jpeg with DFine run at auto. IMO it looks darn good especially considering it's done to a jpeg, and even considering the slight loss of detail I think it's an improvement -- and any way you slice it, it is still lots better than dropping down to 1/4 the original resolution to get there I think! :
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, couple things look different. The original appears to have a bit different tint than the corrected shot. And, I actually like the original a bit more. It seems to hold up nicely without much effort, but the blacks are starting to break up just a bit. Despite the tungsten lighting, there is enough light overall to give a decent capture. The kitchen shots are a bit different story, as there was just lest light in those to start.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,
    I like this treatment. It does smooth things a bit more, especially in the wood cabinets, but it does yield a very nice overall result. I also strongly agree that the 31MP at ISO 1600 is preferred to the 10MP at ISO 1600 that you might get with Sensor+ on the P40+ back. Just my opinion, but I like how this one turned out with Dfine.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like maybe the noise is getting sharpened too. Maybe kick the sharpening down, then despeckle or run it through d-fine, etc., then sharpen for output in PS. (?)

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I post slow. I was replying to Guy's sample before Jack's go at it. Sheesh.

I like what Jack is getting towards here as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that D Fine is really good. Plus that is done to the jpeg no less. What bugs me the most on noise is the color. I don't mind the noise so much but when you have color noise it's like 3 times worse to me.

Interesting this is supposed to be a old sensor. Yea right. Nothing old when the output is damn good and that goes for the 25 and 45 along with the Hassy 31 and 39 sensors .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Here is your first 1600 jpeg with DFine run at auto. IMO it looks darn good especially considering it's done to a jpeg, and even considering the slight loss of detail I think it's an improvement -- and any way you slice it, it is still lots better than dropping down to 1/4 the original resolution to get there I think! :
    Yes but the loss of detail is more smoothness but the damn type is still very sharp with detail. Amazing how we can read this so well

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bet after the D Fine you kicked the sharpness back up a touch maybe about the best you can get.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the tell for me is the detail in the stone backsplash in the kitchen shots and the black register lines near the knobs on the range. looks like zones 2 and 3 suffer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets play with that one. Give me until my second espresso. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay kids let's play . I put both 1600 in a zip file so you can download and play around

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...R3MzeUxIRGc9PQ

Would love to see a comparison on D-fine , noise ninja if someone had both programs.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, I mean wow. It's utter garbage in ACR but in C1 it's more than useable even after pushing it 0.9 of a stop. Set Luminance to 15 and the file looks better than iso 800 film. Quite a bit better actually. I'd love to use that back for wedding portraiture work knowing that I had a very useable iso 400 even if I underexpose to hold the whites. Any of these medium format systems have good TTL flash systems?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I'd love to use that back for wedding portraiture work knowing that I had a very useable iso 400 even if I underexpose to hold the whites. Any of these medium format systems have good TTL flash systems?
    Short answer: yes, using a Metz adapter. See the article below for pics and model numbers.

Capture Integration Article On MF TTL

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just worked up the raws and here are my settings:

Exposure is dead on, leave it at zero. WB is fine, or adjust slightly to taste. I used all of the default lens corrections for the Mamiya 28 and checked (applied) sharpness falloff too. On the levels slider I moved black point up to 4, and the midtone slider to - 0.06 (left) -- this increases both low end contrast and midtone brightness; highlight recovery to 10 to balance upper toines; sharpening at our standard of 98/0.4/2; NR to Lum 30, color at 40. The next step is clarity to 50.

To my eyes, the files pop and look great, no added NR needed! And they still hold great detail as I can see crumbs on your table and minor scratches in your cabinet drawers as well as the wood grain, and even an errant thread sticking out of the hand-towel at the far right in the bathroom shot.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay we fired the maid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will try all that my friend. LOL Guess I need to clean too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting NR issue cropped up in C1 -- my settings seem to go away if I touch the color slider! Anyway, sent an email off to C1 tech guru supreme Doug Peterson to see wtf is up!

Here is a screenshot from the tiffs straight out of C1, opened in Photoshop. Both conversions of the same raw file using the exact same C1 settings as I indicated above. Only difference is for the one on the left I didn't move the color slider off 40, but for the one on the right, I first moved the color NR slider up to 50, then back down to 40!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Confirmed with Jack having the same issue in 4.8 on the same files

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where the heck is Doug when we need him?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where's Doug?

It's Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, Stephen. Since it's Friday evening Doug should be able to spend all his time between now and late Sunday here with us before he needs to get back to work at C-I. I can think of nothing that should be a distraction for a twenty-something guy in South Beach that would keep him away from GetDPI! What gives??!! I don't get it!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What is this the sales model? Just way too clean; around here we say that dust is a protective coating.

I can see you really love the back - much the same feeling that I had when I first got mine.

Again congratulations Guy!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have 4.6, no problems when changing the colour. Why am I seeing the need for a plus almost stop of exposure Jack if it's perfect? My screen is dead on for print. I am however a complete newby with C1 though.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dale,

Perhaps Doug is having computer problems.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Steve, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we should call someone to check on him to see if he's OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug is processing the files now. My server blocked his e-mail asking for the raw. Spam filters don't always work very good. Turned it off at the server level

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My body is at Phase right now they got it this morning for the Firmware update from 1.0 to 1.5 which will take a extra step to update but should be home Wednesday or Thursday. Nice turn time without a rush being applied.