The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera body for a Phase one P45+

felix5616

I need some independent opinions on the following. I will be purchasing a Phase 0ne P45+ and have decided on a mamiya mount. Is there a substantial advantage of choosing the phase one body over a mamiya AFD(1) body that i currently own. I can pick up a used back with warranty for 4K less than a refurb back with a phase one body. If the phase one body is that much better than i would like to know, and i would go that route.
thanks

Dale Allyn

There's a big step from the AFD (1) to the AFD III (PhaseOne) body. I shoot the AFD II and will upgrade to the AFD III or whatever we get offered next.

If you need to reduce shutter lag, then the newest model with newest firmware is your best bet. In my case, I use mirror lockup constantly, so the P1 or AFD III have a little better solution for me. Otherwise I like my AFD II just fine though, as the shutter lag is better than the older AFD (1) and not a real issue for my shooting. There are some other attractive refinements in the newest model as well, but less compelling for me.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I guess I'm not independent, but sometimes I'm helpful anyway! :)

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you'll be shooting. After all, maybe you'll find out that the RZ Pro IID (also compatible with that mamiya mount back) or a tech camera would be the right way to go.

90% of this depends on YOU, not on the camera. So tell us what you'll be shooting, where you're coming from.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I believe that there is also a rumored new Phase camera that will be introduced soon (others may have a better idea on the timing). Not certain about any of the specifics, but it is information that might be worth throwing into the equation.

Kurt

felix5616

i shoot mostly landscape, some macro (using a pentax 67 to mamiya adapter) and very little portraits and some street shooting. I prefer wide angle lenses and macro lenses.
All my shooting is for personal pleasure only, i do not make a living from photography. The P45+ back will blow my budget for this year which is why i was hoping to just get the back and save the expense of the phase one body. i print on a 44" HPZ3200 and shoot more film the digital and use a IQ3 smart scanner for digitalizing my film.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like the only area where shutter lag maybe more the issue is the street work than. Since the P45+ is pushing your budget than maybe just get a AFDII for now. They are not that expensive used right now but I would try to avoid just the AFD. It may just test your patience. I think more the important thing is getting yourself in the door and than build from there. As Kurt mentioned there are rumors out of Japan for a D version body. But I don't know anymore about it but my guess is something is coming. They can't keep limping along here and the body does need a update. Maybe with the Phase investment in Mamiya to get that going is hopefully the answer to it. I would like a new body myself and really IMHO that is what Phase should be working on. Give us something better for these nice backs. Also look at a P25+ i just sold mine and it is stellar and you can save a lot of money. Depends on budget and need, we can only guide you.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
i shoot mostly landscape, some macro (using a pentax 67 to mamiya adapter) and very little portraits and some street shooting. I prefer wide angle lenses and macro lenses.
All my shooting is for personal pleasure only, i do not make a living from photography. The P45+ back will blow my budget for this year which is why i was hoping to just get the back and save the expense of the phase one body. i print on a 44" HPZ3200 and shoot more film the digital and use a IQ3 smart scanner for digitalizing my film.
You should be fine with an AFDII or even an AFDI.

Is your dealer not able to provide you a demo on each body?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

felix5616

My dealer has a bemo P45+ with a phase body for just under 20K. i fould a used P45+ with a value added warranty till2010 that has a mamiya mount for under 15K. a 5K savings would be nice, but not at the expense of getting frustrated with an underperforming body.