The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45+, M8 or 5DII for the ABC?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've been offered the gig of shooting the Archbishop of Canterbury (ABC) at Lambeth Palace. The shots will be used for a press archive and for general publicity use.

Flattered as I am, this is not the sort of thing I do. As anyone who has ever seen my website will see, there aren't many people shots and I never use anything but ambient light. I have no experience with using formal portraiture techniques in the studio or with flash, nor do I generally like that sort of work when I see it done by others. I don't even really like using reflectors.

So if I say 'yes' to the offer, I'd be relying on my ability to find the rights spots and light around the place.

My first thought is to take the Phase/Phamiya setup with the standard lens and some extension tubes. But then I could take my 5DII and be less likely to suffer shutter and mirror slap blur. Or I could take my M8 and dance like a butterfly with some lovely glass and only myself to blame for focus.

What would YOU do?

Best

Tim

Paratom

I would bring the DSLR with a flash for fill - only use the flash if the light is bad.
I would aslo bring the M8 with a fast lens.
I am pretty sure I would not bring MF-kit.

Ben Rubinstein

Pass it off to an experienced portrait shooter? Seriously and no offense, with a cheese as big as this one, if you don't have the know how...

carstenw

I'd also bring 5D2 and M8, the latter probably with the 50 Lux ASPH, and look for some nice natural light. Make a couple of safe shots with the 5D2 and then experiment a little with the M8, probably at ISO 320, if possible, wide open.

kdphotography

And from the other side of the gallery----I'd use the MFDB for this important portrait session---but also with studio lights. Working with ambient light only, it really depends on the location and situation.....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would do it with 5D2 and M8

On 5D2 I would use my 1.2/85 and the 2.8/16-35

On the M8 I would use the 1.4/35ASPH, 1.0/Nocti (you need no light if you use this lens) or my 1.4/50ASPH

If I would use MFDB (which I do not have so far) I would use some studio lightning - requires a lot of setup, but if you do it right with - say Broncolor equipment - the results will be stunning guaranteed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow, a no-brainer for me. I would use the big gun and not even look back -- I mean isn't that why you bought it in the first place? I would take the 75-150D, 80D and 150/2.8D for sure, and probably a wide.

Sharokin

I've shot many celebrities and dignitaries before with all having the same limitation, time.
Knowing that ahead of time take gear that will give you the fastest workflow.

I'd make the 5D2 the main camera with the M8 and your favorite lens as the backup.

Sharokin

Just to follow up. A good example is Annie Liebovitz photographing the queen with a 1DS III where she clearly has access to any MF camera on the market.

gogopix

Subscriber
You haven't mentioned all the conditions; fixed location or 'typical day'? Can you preset strobes (I would imagine monos reflected off wall/ceiling.
What is output? print? Large format? website, newqsletter? would make a difference to me.
"Professionally" I have only done corp site work and conferences and a calendar and some travel for a website. MF is tough indoors (we'll see about sensor+;)
With MFDB composition will be less critical-you just have SO many pixels to play with, but if it is minimally intrusive, I would seriously consider the M8 50 lux. Don't forget many pros do well with flash and diffuser (use one with dual stobes. I actually have had great luck with the M8 and Contax flash (380) on auto-small flash in front and Diffuser up.

Soiunds interesting. I actually, WDR to the pros, this is YOUR gig. They picked you - so, maybe without a lot of stock portrait work you can bring an innovative appraoch. Maybe treat the environment as a "person landscape " for the ABC etc.
From what I.ve seen you'll do a good job-as long as your equipment doesn't fail. BTW take all three, at least in the car!:thumbs:
regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I've shot many celebrities and dignitaries before with all having the same limitation, time.
Knowing that ahead of time take gear that will give you the fastest workflow.

I'd make the 5D2 the main camera with the M8 and your favorite lens as the backup.
WHY does everyone think the MF is the slow boat to China , these are the most ridicules comments I hear all the time. Not picking on you at all but I shoot everyday with a MF and there is nothing I can't shoot with this thing except sports and even than I do it. I laugh all the time when I hear comments like this. I literally can shoot anything with MF and there are only limitations between the ears. It's a camera just like any other camera, just takes some different techniques to work with like any other camera.

It just had to be said , sorry folks. Putting limitations on gear is putting limitations on your work and on your brain as soon as you think you can't do it with a piece of gear. There tools and nothing is going to save you unless you work the tools. Getting a great image is the key and the better the file the better the shot the better the chances you will get that call again. Put your best foot forward or turn it down. Sorry I am not in a great mood today after showing up for a gig and it is cancelled without warning. I think I will just stay off the forum today

Sharokin

Guy,

Because the subject might ask you to shoot in a location where high iso challenged MF cameras with slower lenses can't do as well as the DSLR's.
Or perhaps he might give you five minutes (very likely) to do the shoot where a DSLR IS faster.

BTW, I have three MF cameras, 4x5, and use them all the time. When time is critical getting the image is all that matters.

gogopix

Subscriber
Nothing to be sorry about, Guy! Having been on the receiving end of some potshots (Not ALWAYS unwarranted :ROTFL: ) I can say it gets you thinking.

Sometimes being straight and blunt amongst friends, well I think it makes us better friends because we let our hair down and are honest in our feelings.

Sometimes gut reactions are the best.

warm regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Because the subject might ask you to shoot in a location where high iso challenged MF cameras with slower lenses can't do as well as the DSLR's.
Or perhaps he might give you five minutes (very likely) to do the shoot where a DSLR IS faster.

BTW, I have three MF cameras, 4x5, and use them all the time. When time is critical getting the image is all that matters.
I'm under that same gun as well. I have done things in 30 seconds with CEO's and such, get in setup just like any other shot. DSLR's are great but if a MF is sitting there I am grabbing it first. Power I agree can sometimes be a issue but I also have a back that can go easy ISO 800 and mission critical like this I would not want to shoot 800 with any camera. Obviously we don't have all the details and a lot of that counts as well but I would think MF first and everything else is secondary depending on conditions.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts guys (and Guy!).

The full brief is not yet clear other than that it's at Lambeth Palace so they know they'll not be getting studio shots.

Output is for press photos, website use, promotional stuff so I think it unlikely that they'd want to print larger than say A3 tops and mostly A4 or less BUT there's something about the subtlety and range of MF that I'd like, regardless of its pixel count.

ISO is likely to be a problem however since a certain amount will be inside. I'll be going for a chiaroscuro look I think, my first thought is to use strong light from a just out of shot window to light the subject, with a richly textured (wood, cloth, leather, books?) background dimly lit and tailing off into darkness. He is a very considered and intelligent man and that's what I'd like to try to bring out.

I have no doubt that Guy and Jack are right and that with the right level of experience with the Phase setup for portraiture it would give wonderful results but I learned on my Icelandic adventure that you should NOT use it under circumstances where you have yet to bottom out its particular traits so I think I won't risk it - though I might just consider using it and buying and taking with me a couple of continuous lights such as Bowens SL455s. However, my USP as a photographer has been working with ambient only and i think that's what I best do. So most likely I'll take an M8 with a 50 lux and nothing else.

Or that's what It'll look like! I think the M8 puts people at their ease and that turning up with nothing else (no flash, bag, tripod, meter, lenses) is what I have done before on the rare occasions I've shot people so it's a routine I know.

But in the car there'll be a 5DII with a flashgun. Just in case.

Anyone got experience with this continuous stuff? I'd use it low and diffused so as to simulate or augment a window, or to spread gentle light on the background. I would avoid the pinhole pupil syndrome by not pointing it directly at His Grace!

I like the point about AL and the Queen though I vaguely remember that the end result was a sort of montage?

Tim

ps I should add that I have shot him informally before and that's part of what his press office has seen.

Guy Mancuso

Bottom line Tim is do what is certainly the most comfortable that will give you success. That is first and foremost priority regardless of gear. MF has it's certain charms but if your feeling uneasy than DON'T use it. It will bite you if your unsure of yourself and you knowledge of it in these kinds of situations that are on unfamiliar ground.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
EXODUS 20:3

You shall have no other gods before me.
;)

If I would be challenged with this assignment, even after using a P45+ only for one day, I would shoot as many frames as I can with it. Of course, in opposite to the good book, I would bring the 5DII along. Hehehe.

BEST OF LUCK TIM!

Would be nice to see some results here if you are allowed to post them.

E

ericstaud

Well, they're in definite need of help in the image department. Why not shoot with an Alpa, 4x5, or 8x10 camera? Decide what kind of portrait you're making and then choose the camera. The criteria for which camera to use should not be which camera is easiest to hand hold and get in focus.