The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Metz 3952 module flash and Mamiya 645 manual lenses?

gsking

Anyone tried this trick? When I use manual lenses on my 645AFD with the Metz, the apeture setting keeps getting reset to wacky numbers.

Maybe I've never tried it before, but should this be expected? I figured I could set the flash manually and at least have it work it A-mode. But it "unsets" the flash making it not meter properly.

I suppose I could use the manual modulethat blocks all communication from the camera.

Greg

John Black

With a manual lens the aperture reads 0.0 in Av mode - assuming you're using something like a lens from 645M family. That's probably messing with the Metz's tiny brain. ETTL-II on Canon isn't support by manual lenses either - unless the adapter has a focus-confirmation chip. It's probably similar with the Mamiya AFD family.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With manual lenses, take the Metz flash out of TTL mode and put it in "A" mode.

gsking

Jack, I did...A mode surprisingly did the same thing. But then, it did the same thing with an AF lens. So I think I was getting a bad connection between the contacts or something. That's what I get for neglecting it for 2 months and playing with mhy RZ67. ;)

John, sorry I wasn't more clear...it was the aperture setting on the flash. It was resetting itself in strange ways.

Bouncing up to f/90 would certainly give me an overexposed look I wasn't looking for :)

Thanks for the replies. Figured I'd burn a roll of VC160 for grins today and try out the new 110mm lens. In the hot sun, I always find myself shooting flash to kill those pesky face shadows