Site Sponsors

Thread: Using Metz 3952 module flash and Mamiya 645 manual lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Using Metz 3952 module flash and Mamiya 645 manual lenses?

Anyone tried this trick? When I use manual lenses on my 645AFD with the Metz, the apeture setting keeps getting reset to wacky numbers.

Maybe I've never tried it before, but should this be expected? I figured I could set the flash manually and at least have it work it A-mode. But it "unsets" the flash making it not meter properly.

I suppose I could use the manual modulethat blocks all communication from the camera.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Metz 3952 module flash and Mamiya 645 manual lenses?

With a manual lens the aperture reads 0.0 in Av mode - assuming you're using something like a lens from 645M family. That's probably messing with the Metz's tiny brain. ETTL-II on Canon isn't support by manual lenses either - unless the adapter has a focus-confirmation chip. It's probably similar with the Mamiya AFD family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With manual lenses, take the Metz flash out of TTL mode and put it in "A" mode.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I did...A mode surprisingly did the same thing. But then, it did the same thing with an AF lens. So I think I was getting a bad connection between the contacts or something. That's what I get for neglecting it for 2 months and playing with mhy RZ67.

John, sorry I wasn't more clear...it was the aperture setting on the flash. It was resetting itself in strange ways.

Bouncing up to f/90 would certainly give me an overexposed look I wasn't looking for

Thanks for the replies. Figured I'd burn a roll of VC160 for grins today and try out the new 110mm lens. In the hot sun, I always find myself shooting flash to kill those pesky face shadows