The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP, my Phase One P45+ is driving me crazy

felix5616

I just received my phase one P45+ back. I read the manual , which seemed straight forward. When i set up the back i set it up for i set the file format to IIQ Raw L, ASA 50. I shot some test photos and opened the file with capture one DB and also tried photoshop CS2. the files seemed to have been saved as tiffs and the resulting file size was the size of a postage stamp with 170dpi.
Can anyone get be set up on this back, as i would like to shoot tonight and not wait till tomorrow when Digital transitions opens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy. Felix, you need to call your dealer and have them walk you through the entire shooting and processing sequence.

In a nutshell, you are viewing the thumb and not the actual file. In C1, (DB or otherwise) you need to import the files, or at the very least move them off the card into a folder, and then browse the folder. Once you do, the images will show in the browser, you can then view them full size and access all the image adjustment controls.

Don Libby

What Jack said...

Transfer your image files onto your computer and open them either with C1 or Photoshop Bridge. The files are tiff which are okay; once you process the image with either C1 of PS you can save them to whatever you want.

You really need to to speak with your dealer regarding workflow options.

Good luck

Don

felix5616

Thanks. I appreciate the quick response and guidance.
I think i am in over my head.
anyone want a mint condition, lightly used P45+ in mamiya mount?

Dale Allyn

Thanks. I appreciate the quick response and guidance.
I think i am in over my head.
anyone want a mint condition, lightly used P45+ in mamiya mount?
Don't get discouraged, Felix. :)

In C-1 DB you may not be viewing with the large preview pane open. The C-1 interface is a bit different and takes a bit of getting used to.

If you don't want to import the images to C-1, you can simply copy the contents of your CF card to your desktop (or wherever you like such things on your hard drive), open C-1 and click on the little icon near the upper left that looks like a file folder. (It's to the left of the little camera icon.) This will help you navigate to your folder of RAW images.

Select your folder and navigate to the actual images which C-1 will create thumbnails for once you select the correct folder full of image files. If your large "Viewer" pane is open you will see the large version of any thumbnail you click on. If the Viewer pane is not visible, go to the top menu, choose "View" and select "Show Viewer".

Hope this gets you a bit closer.

:)

Last edited:

Digitalcameraman

I just received my phase one P45+ back. I read the manual , which seemed straight forward. When i set up the back i set it up for i set the file format to IIQ Raw L, ASA 50. I shot some test photos and opened the file with capture one DB and also tried photoshop CS2. the files seemed to have been saved as tiffs and the resulting file size was the size of a postage stamp with 170dpi.
Can anyone get be set up on this back, as i would like to shoot tonight and not wait till tomorrow when Digital transitions opens.
Leo:

You are opening the preview file for the RAW file. Like Jack, Don and anyone else would tell you must either process the file in C1 Pro or open the RAW file in an application that is compatible. The version of CS2 does not support processing the P45+ and also early versions of LR do not support it either. It was designed and released before the P45+.

Once you do that you will see the amazing quality you have made the investment in. I am just sorry that you decide not to invest in this from me but a dealer that put it in a box and shipped it to you.

I know you talked to all the dealers that contribute to this site but you decided to buy based on price only which we can all understand, but this is the frustration we all see users go through that do not get the proper follow through. That is okay.

Digital Transitions is very capable of solving this problem for you and next week you will have all this behind you.

I am glad you reached out to the resources to find an answer. And I think you will find that all of us are willing to give you the guidance you need to get started. That is what this forum is all about.

Please tell us all that you are getting amazing images once you follow our instructions. We are always here on the weekend and holidays to help even though you did not buy the product from us. That is just what America is all about.

Let's all remeber that this weekend as we celebrate Memorial Day.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions, Inc
Phase One Reseller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

813-335-2473 Cell anytime

Don Libby

Okay Felix take a deep breath but remember to keep breathing!

First off I missed the point that you were using CS2. Chris is totally correct in that CS2 was produced way before Phase came out with the P45 so you'll have to upgrade to either CS3 or CS4; my suggestion would be to upgrade to CS4 as it'll be good for at least 2 more photoshop upgrades (maybe).

Can you tell us a little more about the system you're using? What type camera, computer etc. Are you using a MAC or PC? Not much of a difference either way but it'll help us so we aren't throwing out instructions/suggestions that might be confusing.

Not to read too much into this post but I gather you just got the back what today? You've come to a great place for answers but don't forget your dealer as you did pay them good money, now make them work for it.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing and don't forget to share some images!

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Little more details as Don said and we can get you running like a deer here in no time. Nice comments Chris. Thanks and that is what this forum is about and nice to see a dealer not involved in the sale jump in to help.

Don Libby

I appears that Leo is so frustrated that he placed his kit in the for sale section of LL.

I think this is a mistake and just too damn bad and impulsive; come on Leo give it (us) a chance!

Don

Dale Allyn

Ahh shucks, Leo, I hope that you'll reconsider. Learn via this community, or set up a one-on-one workshop with someone. It's not much different than any other digital workflow (referring to DSLRs), but just a matter of some new tools. C-1 grows on a person (coming from one who is very resistant to change, but getting better with C-1) and becomes very easy to get satisfying results after a little guidance from a group like this or a helpful tutor.

felix5616

tomorrow i will call digital transitions.
For the record: i am running Capture One DB 3.7.4
a dual 2.5GHz MAC with OS 10.4.11 and Adobe CS3.(my main computer)
When i open capture DB and try to import captures I get the following message: Failed to import The captures could not be imported because the import file does not exist
I am able to open the captures in CS3.
Apparently i need however many hours of capture one DB training it takes to use what appears to be powerful but highly counterintuitive software.
While the back may be capable of excellent captures i am not impressed. I've tried several digital models(canon 1DSII, mamiya ZD and now the phase P45+) I have never had this level of difficulty.
I have used drum scanners, dedicated film scanners and now a creo IQ3 scanner with no training whatsoever and have never been this frustrated/disappointed.
I would like however to thank everyone that contributed advice and guidance. I sincerely appreciate the help.

Dale Allyn

Leo, you can get a free copy of Capture One (C-1) 4.11 or so. The newest version is 4.8, but as I understand it, OS 10.5.x is required for the latest updates (beyond 4.5). If you are willing to upgrade to OS 10.5.x then you will gain some better tools in C-1 4.8. But I should clarify that I'm not sure if 4.8 requires an Intel based Mac system (can't recall off the top of my head tonight), and you don't mention if your Mac is a G5 (Power PC aka: PPC) or a newer model. My hunch is that it is the former.

Keep the dialogue going here and I'll bet you get dialed in.

Edit to add: I used C-1 3.7.x for a while (not as long as many others here) and find the newer version 4.x to be much more intuitive. As one who was (and in some ways still am) much more comfortable in the Bridge/PS CS environment, Capture One does produce excellent files and the user interface becomes easier with a bit of time with it.

There are some helpful tutorial videos on the Phase One site as well. I'll try to find a link.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Here's a link for the tutorials for version 4. These are not for your version 3.74, but may help you if you go to the new version. The DB version of 4.x is free.

It's a flash page, so not easy to link straight to the videos. Click on "Go for Pro" link near the top. Then click the Video Tutorials link at the bottom of the left-side column. The sections are selected at the bottom of the main box area.

http://www.phaseone.com/4/

Don Libby

I've used photoshop since maybe v2 so when I got the P30+ and looked at C1 I basically looked at the program found I couldn't run it on 64bit machine and put it in my desk drawer and kept with photoshop. Things changed and I upgraded to the P45+ at just about the same time Phase One upgraded their program to run on a 64bit machine. I'm now running dual programs, CS4 and C1 4.8. While I can work on CS4 with my eyes closed (I really don't recommend it) I'm still learning C1 every time I open a file. It's been slow going but very rewarding.

There's a great deal of information on C1 on this forum as well as LL. I understand the amount of frustration you're experiencing right now but if you just hang on for a little while longer I'm sure we can have you up and running.

Try this experiment: load image files into a folder marked "test". Open C1 look for "Library" then "System Folders" open the disk that has your "test" folder and click on the folder - your images should open for you. Okay there's a better way to explain this and hopefully someone else will chime in.

Good luck and keep in touch

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Leo/Felix,

An analogy is you've been driving sedans with automatic transmissions and just got a Ferrari and need to learn how it works before you can drive it.

Moreover, you should know that the UI on C1 3.7 is significantly different from the current 4.8, so if you spend time learning that, you'll have to relearn some things when you eventually do migrate to 4, but I understand you are at present constrained by the older Mac running Tiger.

You owe it to your self to have your dealer give you a basic C1/Phase Back driving lesson so you can at least get started... It is very tough for us to teach this to anybody -- let alone do it quickly -- on a forum using just words when they don't even have any basics available to start with.

felix5616

What happened to buying a product and using it. Now you spend in excess of $13K on a camera/back and you still need to spend nearly and extra thousand to get up and running, constant software upgrades designed simply to generate
a continued stream of revenue for the companies that sell this gear, not just digital cameras but all digital equipment, sold simply as a way of developing a continuous stream of income for these companies. God forbid you buy a product and are not required to "upgrade" just to get the device to work.
I am sure that for working professionals generating income this makes sense, but this type of equipment is a bigger money pit than owning a home. I have 10 different film format cameras , and once purchased and paid for require no extra expenditures, other than infrequent maintenance.
This camera was not designed for anyone seeking a creative outlet, unless being a tech junkie is in and of itself is seen as a creative outlet.
What really frustrates me is that I am solely responsible for choosing my creative tools without being fully aware of the true/hidden costs. This tool is not and will never be for a casual user, it was designed for tech junkies.
The only saving grace is the willingness of members of this community to offer assistance, encouragement and advice is such a friendly manner.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

D

ddk

What happened to buying a product and using it. Now you spend in excess of $13K on a camera/back and you still need to spend nearly and extra thousand to get up and running, constant software upgrades designed simply to generate
a continued stream of revenue for the companies that sell this gear, not just digital cameras but all digital equipment, sold simply as a way of developing a continuous stream of income for these companies. God forbid you buy a product and are not required to "upgrade" just to get the device to work.
I am sure that for working professionals generating income this makes sense, but this type of equipment is a bigger money pit than owning a home. I have 10 different film format cameras , and once purchased and paid for require no extra expenditures, other than infrequent maintenance.
This camera was not designed for anyone seeking a creative outlet, unless being a tech junkie is in and of itself is seen as a creative outlet.
What really frustrates me is that I am solely responsible for choosing my creative tools without being fully aware of the true/hidden costs. This tool is not and will never be for a casual user, it was designed for tech junkies.
The only saving grace is the willingness of members of this community to offer assistance, encouragement and advice is such a friendly manner.
Unfortunately you're quite right with your assessment this tool isn't for the casual user and unless you want to hire a tech a certain amount of technical knowledge and more than casual familiarity with both PS & C1 is needed. Of course this is in addition to proper technique, high end mfdbs are not forgiving like dslrs! Sorry if I'm not as positive as others but I think that you already know what you're facing.

(edit) I forgot to mention that dealing with these huge file sizes requires faster machines and tons more storage and backup space.

Last edited:

kdphotography

Unfortunately you're quite right with your assessment this tool isn't for the casual user and unless you want to hire a tech a certain amount of technical knowledge and more than casual familiarity with both PS & C1 is needed. Of course this is in addition to proper technique, high end mfdbs are not forgiving like dslrs! Sorry if I'm not as positive as others but I think that you already know what you're facing.
...BUT, learning how to use a MFDB including post-processing of the RAW files is not insurmountable, and certainly not difficult---unless you're trying to cram it all in one evening....

It sounds like just some of the basics need to be setup, and then perhaps a introductory C1 class with Doug over at Capture Integration.... I think Doug is still teaching the classes---worthwhile and only a nominal investment.

carstenw

So, you bought a very expensive back primarily based on price, and are frustrated because you cannot figure out how to work the thing without help. People here are jumping in by the boatload to help you, including some dealers who you didn't pay any money, yet it makes little difference to you and you now want to get rid of it.

I find this astounding.

What happened to buying a product and using it. Now you spend in excess of $13K on a camera/back and you still need to spend nearly and extra thousand to get up and running, constant software upgrades designed simply to generate a continued stream of revenue for the companies that sell this gear, not just digital cameras but all digital equipment, sold simply as a way of developing a continuous stream of income for these companies. God forbid you buy a product and are not required to "upgrade" just to get the device to work.
That is exactly the case here: You are not required to upgrade. If you want to use C1 4, then the system requirements are right on the Phase One website: intel Mac and Mac OS X 10.5.6. But you can use a PowerPC-based Mac and C1 3.7, just like everyone did before C1 4 came out.

By the way, what "constant software upgrades" are you talking about? Once it works properly, which C1 3.7 should do with a PowerPC-based Mac, it will continue to work for a long time, with no changes.

I have 10 different film format cameras , and once purchased and paid for require no extra expenditures, other than infrequent maintenance.
Sure, if you don't want to take any pictures.

Btw, why did you sell the ZD camera and buy the P45+?

Correction: this camera was not designed for anyone seeking a creative outlet who is unwilling to read manuals and do any other systematic learning. The creative outlet part comes after you learn the tool. This is the same with all creative tools, from a simple paint brush to the P45+ to CS4.

What really frustrates me is that I am solely responsible for choosing my creative tools without being fully aware of the true/hidden costs.
Who do you prefer to have responsible for choosing your creative tools?

You have to do some digging, this is always the case, whether you buy a Canon or a Phase One. Does Canon tell you on their website that you need a computer to do digital photography? You have to find these things out.

---

If you want to pursue this, you need to find out if you are taking the right steps to import the images, and if so, what that error message means. Before this is done, you cannot proceed.

Last edited:

fotografz

You are RIGHT! It's total crap!

Don't listen to the technoids. It's an inhuman plot. :thumbdown:

I'll give you $5,000. for it ... strictly as a favor. :angel: