The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 24mm with the Cambo RS1000

Don Libby

I've had a couple questions on the sharpness of the 24mm so I decided to post this example. This might not be the best type of image to do this sort of thing however it's the only one I have other than the one I already posted in the field.

The image was opened first in C1 for LCC then on to CS4 for the cropping as I understand CS4 better. As near as I can tell from my spotty notes, the image was shot F/5.8, ISO 50 1/250 and center filter.

There's the image:

Lower Left Crop @ 100%:

Center Right Crop @ 100%:

The image again as a map to the crops:

Please remember this image was one of the very first I shot with this lens so there is still very much of a learning curve.

Don

I've had a couple questions on the sharpness of the 24mm so I decided to post this example. This might not be the best type of image to do this sort of thing however it's the only one I have other than the one I already posted in the field.

The image was opened first in C1 for LCC then on to CS4 for the cropping as I understand CS4 better. As near as I can tell from my spotty notes, the image was shot F/5.8, ISO 50 1/250 and center filter.

Don

Thanks, Don.

Don Libby

The lens is an APO Digital 5.6/24XL - the Centerfilter is a CF 11d 4x.

Just tested the lens again in the backyard and can see very slight vignetting in the far upper corners (might be the result of the CF). Also tested 5mm sifts with very bad results. Any shifts done with this lens should not exceed 3mm.

Don

The lens is an APO Digital 5.6/24XL - the Centerfilter is a CF 11d 4x.

Just tested the lens again in the backyard and can see very slight vignetting in the far upper corners (might be the result of the CF). Also tested 5mm sifts with very bad results. Any shifts done with this lens should not exceed 3mm.

Don
Yes, noticed that vignetting in the full shot above. Have you had the opportunity to shoot at f11 and see if the image circle is larger, or does that result in too slow of a shutter speed when using the center filter with ISO 50?

Don Libby

Yes, noticed that vignetting in the full shot above. Have you had the opportunity to shoot at f11 and see if the image circle is larger, or does that result in too slow of a shutter speed when using the center filter with ISO 50?
Stay tuned hopfully tommorrow...

Don Libby

Thanks Guy, here's more...

It appears that Sandy already has my planed out for me tomorrow so I went ahead and did these this afternoon. All images shot with the centerfilter on, LCC performed with no other processing. I picked what I thought the most pleasing images for the shutter used.

f/5.8 - 1/125

f/8 - 1/60

f/11 - 1/30

f/16 - 1/15

Don

arashm

Don
thank you for posting these
I believe you have/had the Phamiya 28 as well.
how much wider does the 24 "feel".
Thanks again
am

Don Libby

The top-left corner seems to vignette slightly. Is this lens meant to be able to cover 645?
Carsten - yes you're correct there is a very slight vignette and yes this lens is made for the 645. I've offered full size images here (non cropped) as examples whereas I normally crop the captured image to reveal the "image within an image".

Outstanding lens IMHO.

Pete - I agree 100%! While I've shot only a small handful of test images I see the potential here and looking forward to taking this lens with me as I shoot more landscape.

Don
thank you for posting these
I believe you have/had the Phamiya 28 as well.
how much wider does the 24 "feel".
Thanks again
am
Am - You are correct, I did have a Mamiya 28 (sold it to finance the great lens buying spree :clap: ). The 28 on a P45 works out to be the equivalent of 17mm in 35mm terms while the 24mm is 15mm. So the short answer is this lens is slightly wider.

I can't see doing anything else with this lens other than taking it out and using it and that's what I intend to do now. I think this lens is as good if not better than the Mamiya 28 and that's saying something. As in everything else there's pros and cons, and the pros on this lens outnumber the cons. I can only think of two cons - I'll only be able to use less than 3mm of movements and there's a slight vignette. Both cons are a result of how I shoot but in no way will it harm my images as I can work around them.

I've very pleased to have the lens and am looking forward to using it.

Now I need to see what 120 will do and that will posted on a separate thread.

Thank you all for allowing me to share

Don

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great lens - but what else did you expect, it is a Schneider .....

Great report anyway!

Many thanks for sharing!

carstenw

Carsten - yes you're correct there is a very slight vignette and yes this lens is made for the 645.
Hmm. I would consider meeting with Ken Doo and taking a picture with the P65+, to evaluate the extent of the vignetting. If the center filter doesn't correct it, I cannot imagine that it is meant to be this way. Do you consider it acceptable for your work, keeping in mind that you might end up with a P65+ one day, somehow?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The slight vignetting shown in Don's example actually looks like it's due to the rim of the center filter being in the way, and not normal falloff... Even if he has to crop it down to a 25 or 26 FoV, it is still an impressive wide :thumbs:

Don Libby

Hmm. I would consider meeting with Ken Doo and taking a picture with the P65+, to evaluate the extent of the vignetting. If the center filter doesn't correct it, I cannot imagine that it is meant to be this way. Do you consider it acceptable for your work, keeping in mind that you might end up with a P65+ one day, somehow?
Carsten

There's a difference in what I'm seeing between my studio monitor and the web images. That said, yes there is a bit of vignetting however the amount is acceptable to me and I had figured going this wide I would have some. I've only had the lens a short period however I do know I like it and plan on using it.

The other consideration is that the images I posted contain no processing other than LCC from C1. I have worked a couple here taking them to where I thought they wanted to go and each one is very good even though the subject matter sucks - I was looking at the technical aspects vs the subject.

Ken and I will shoot again soon and we have plans of using the P65 on the RS, more so to give Ken an idea of his next step than for me to see if I want a P65.

So in short - I really like this lens and can see working with it very comfortably in the future. As a matter of fact Sandy & I are headed to Sedona mid June and I plan on giving both the 24 & 120 a good workout.

I've begun a test on the 120 which appears to be promising and will post that soon.

Don

Don Libby

The slight vignetting shown in Don's example actually looks like it's due to the rim of the center filter being in the way, and not normal falloff... Even if he has to crop it down to a 25 or 26 FoV, it is still an impressive wide :thumbs:
I agree, I think it's coming from the collar of the filter. Plan on talking to Schneider via Chris later this week. It certainly not a deal breaker....

Clawery

Don,

The slight bit of vignetting you are noticing is from the combination of large circle of the Schneider 24mm and the large chip area of the Phase One P45+ (49.1mm x 36.8mm).

Don Libby

I've been on the phone with Chris this morning and shooting a couple test images with and without the filter to check on the vignette problems seen in the earlier shots.

Much to my surprise and chagrin I found that after making sure the camera was set at zero movements there was no visible vignetting (the images without the centerfilter just plan sucked). The only thing that Chris and I can come up with is that there had to be some slight movement when I did the test images.

Bottom line here is there was operator error added to the fact that this lens is so wide you really need to slow down and double check everything before capturing the image.

We have yet again an excellent example of just how important the relationship is between the photographer and dealer. :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Chris!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don, do me a favor and check that the RRS plate on the base of your RS sits absolutely flush with the camera (no light can be seen at the joint) and that the plate is *really* screwed down tight. If there is a reducer insert on the camera, make sure it is screwed in fully tight and does not protrude at all below the base of the camera.

*** Also, I *think* those silver wheels at the outboard edges of the RS adapter base are designed to be unscrewed against the QR plate to tighten it further. (You stick the end of an allen wrench in the holes of the silver wheel and unscrew them to force against the plate.)

And PS: please avoid 1/15th sec like the plague...

;),