The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45+ First Photo

felix5616

After a frustrating start with my P45+ I am very impressed with the files.
Here is a photo I shot yesterday afternoon.
Sorry I could not upload the photo.

Last edited:

carstenw

Well, in spite of having been a loud critic of your initial process, I am happy to see that you are getting results. I wish I could see them though :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Felix, just downsize it to less than 450 KB and you can upload it. And congratulations!

felix5616

i have a buyer, but now i am torn. Ideally i would want to go to a cambo RS or horseman SW DII specifically to be able to use a Schneider 24mm APO digital lens, but that would just further destroy my budget. . The photos i shot yesterday were with a manual focus 55mm Mamiya lens. The image sharpness was very nice.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Felix

I'm very please to hear that you figured out the processing of the P45 as it is a very good back. Software is always a daunting aspect of photography much like chemicals used to be in a wet darkroom however once you grasp the beginning points then the rest normally comes easier and with a little experimentation fun.

Not sure if you've had much work with a technical camera however they are hard/easy/love/hate all in the same breath. I love shooting with the RS as every time I do I can literally feel those photographer of year ago who used large technical cameras right there beside me. Yeah I know it sound goofy but then...

It you are used to shooting in a strict manual mode, focus, shutter, f/stop the you have a leg up on those who rely on batteries for auto everything. If on the other hand you only do this once in a while then I recommend you keep what you have and get settled into the processing aspect before you take on something new.

Speaking for myself I will admit that I wish I had made the switch years before I actually did. Then again look at all the gear I'd have before Cambo came out with such a wonderful camera.:bugeyes:

You are in the drivers seat and only you can say where you go next. The P45+ is a great back for technical cameras as well as a great back.

Good luck

Don

robmac

Nice shot.

You've already taken the hit in depreciation, why 'crystalize' that loss any sooner than you have to, if ever?

Take some time, try the process a bit further and if still not taking to, can sell it and not really be out anything further than you are already. Selling it for (IIRc) $13,000 is doing someone else a great favor but doing yourself a real disfavor so soon into the learning process.

Just some input from the cheap seats :

Don Libby

Nice. You've already taken the hit in depreciation, why 'crystalize' that loss any sooner than you have to, if ever?

Take some time, try the process a bit further and if still not taking to, can sell it and not really be out anything further than you are already. Selling it for (IIRc) $13,000 is doing someone else a great favor but doing yourself a real disfavor so soon into the learning process.

Just some input from the cheap seats :
Couln't have said it better:clap:

robmac

Thanks - every once in a while (frequency depends on if you ask me or the wife) the right neurons fall into alignment. It's increasingly fleeting, but it happens ;>

carstenw

I really like that image! It is a bit small :))), but the clouds look great. How long will you give it before you decide whether to keep it or not?

felix5616

i have a buyer that wants the camera. i am hoping to rent a cambo wide with a 24mm digital lens to see how good the image quality it. I shoot mostly wide angle. I am trying to find out how good the new mamiya 28mm lens is compared to the 24mm digital lens. I am thinking that if i sell the P45+ i can get into a nice nikon D3x with glass. Its now a tough decision.

PeterA

Hi Felix - the software from all manufacturers has a bit of a learning curve - but once you deconstruct the owrkflows they are very good. Doing a course will get you up to speed fast. C1 is very good software - but you can aslo open your files in Lightroom or ACR etc etc

Re Schneider 24...if you are thinking of selling the 45+ understand that these lenses depreciate fast and they arent cheap to start with... Also consider an Alpa TC as your lens mount matched with a RRS sliding rail system you can do nodal stitiching also then unerstand that the image circle of the 24mm doent allow for a lot of sideways play in a stitch - when you use an extreme wide - you will need to do this stitching unless you are shooting long - and then you dont need the 24mm...

On estep at a time with this stuff - but for most peopel MFD is way overkill unless printing very large sizes and you need the resolution. Teh morew I use these MFD backs the more tehy are consigned to tripod use - they arent DSLR's and dont listen or read anyone who suggests differently it is a waste of resolution to try hand held shooting unless you have no other camera in hand -:)

Don Libby

Hi Felix - the software from all manufacturers has a bit of a learning curve - but once you deconstruct the owrkflows they are very good. Doing a course will get you up to speed fast. C1 is very good software - but you can aslo open your files in Lightroom or ACR etc etc

Re Schneider 24...if you are thinking of selling the 45+ understand that these lenses depreciate fast and they arent cheap to start with... Also consider an Alpa TC as your lens mount matched with a RRS sliding rail system you can do nodal stitiching also then unerstand that the image circle of the 24mm doent allow for a lot of sideways play in a stitch - when you use an extreme wide - you will need to do this stitching unless you are shooting long - and then you dont need the 24mm...

On estep at a time with this stuff - but for most peopel MFD is way overkill unless printing very large sizes and you need the resolution. Teh morew I use these MFD backs the more tehy are consigned to tripod use - they arent DSLR's and dont listen or read anyone who suggests differently it is a waste of resolution to try hand held shooting unless you have no other camera in hand -:)
All excellant points!