The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WDS-619 and the RS 1000

Don Libby

These aren't the best images of the groundglass (WDS-619) and flexible focusing hood (WDS-616) however I wanted to include these to show an example.

I used this combination to shoot the painted pony below...

Graham had asked about minimum focal distance using different lens so that of course got me thinking of a new test. As I now have 4 lens to choose from I wanted to see which would be the best for a close-up. I normally don't have redheads or blonds or women with freckles pounding on my door for me to shoot them so I had to look around for a substitute and came up with the painted pony.

Don't laugh at the setting - this was in our back patio. Remember I shoot landscape not product work therefore my studio is where I happen to be at the time...

This was shot with the 35mm lens at less than 12".

100% crop

The horse is carved from wood and is 5.5" x 4.25"

Here's a couple shots of the "set"

I'm going back to photographing landscapes now.

Don

thomas

Thought I attach this here...
a copy of my contribution on LuLa:

Made a short trip to the Netherlands today an took the opportunity to visit Cambo as there was a little thing to adjust on my camera.

Some short notes that may be interessting for WRS (WDS, Compact) users:

The TS adapter will fit into the regular lens mounts.
The zero setting of tilt and swing will be geared.
It's not yet finished but they are going to make a safe lock mechanism (similar to the geared shift with a small blob).
Adjustment screws go very smooth but the entire thing feels very solid. Indeed it looks very promising!
As swing and tilt is moveable in all directions they actually didn't want to make an indication for the degrees of tilt and/or swing.
I find that indications are useful if - for whatever reason - you don't have the time to make a LCC shot. If you know the settings you could do it afterwards.
In general I find indications useful with regard to raw processing. They think about a solution.
The adapter will be available for the Rodenstock HR up from 28mm and longer and for the Digitars up from the 47XL and longer.

Tried the leveling base and directly picked it up (still a prototype with the scale not yet finished but I don't care about the design of the scale).
It feels like a natural extension of the camera (and indeed is desinged as one) and it keeps the gear extremely lean - no tripod head needed, just that small base for the WRS. For me personally this is an extremely useful addition as I like my WRS setup light and small.
The leveling base has a geared zero position for panning. I never thought about that but the useful thing here is that you can compose and once finished you just turn the camera 180° to look at the front, make some adjustments (exposure, aperture or whatever) and turn it back to exactly the same position. Useful if you stand on a balkony or similar... but certainly useful in several other situation as well.
The bottom/front the base has a standard sized eyelet to mount a shade on a clamp, the LCC plate on a clamp or whatever you like to mount ...
Again, the adjustments are very smooth but the leveling base is very solid.

They will offer Fresnel groundglasses. So you have the choice either to take the regular or the Fresnel screen (or both, of course).
Picked one up as well and this screen turns the WRS into a new camera for me. Okay, a bit of a stretch. But I can see the entire groundglass (width and height of the screen is roughly 8x6cm) relatively bright and clear - with the regular screen you just see a sweet spot wherever you put the loupe. With the Fresnel there is light fall off as well of course, but it's much, much better (and BTW talking about the 5.6/47XL here). As far as I figured out today I can adjust focus on the screen without the help of an additional loupe (the lens of the focussing hood seems to do well here... but I have to double check under different conditions).
They modified the focussing hood: now there is a mechanism so that you can fold out the focussing hood but don't have to remove it all together. Nice!

A little new feature on the WRS body: by now on the bottom of the camera there was just one level. Now the body has two levels on the bottom so that you can mount the camera above your head but still can level it.

I asked for a cap to temporarily store the back when mounted on the interface. No solution by now but it's on their list.

All the new things mentioned here will be availabe anytime up from autumn or so.

They keep on with developing and improving the camera and the accessories - very much appreciated!
In part just some inconspicuous details. But they may turn out as usefull additions for someone.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35683&view=findpost&p=295029

Paratom

Interesting. Cambo seems to be really active to expand their product range. Thats nice.
Is there a format mask one can attach on the ground glass?

thomas

Is there a format mask one can attach on the ground glass?
There is the grid as shown in Don's first shot in this thread. It's the sensor size in landscape and in portrait mode and the outer frame shows the ammount of shift.
There are no masks to crop for a single shot. The arTec magnetic masks are great. The arTec is much more focussed on single shot and composition for single shots (as far as I see it) whilst the WRS is more focussed on shift/stitch. So basically it makes sense for the WRS that the groudnglass shows the entire image circle. I thought about making 2 masks by myself but am not sure yet how to attach them (and thus which material to use).

Paratom

There is the grid as shown in Don's first shot in this thread. It's the sensor size in landscape and in portrait mode and the outer frame shows the ammount of shift.
There are no masks to crop for a single shot. The arTec magnetic masks are great. The arTec is much more focussed on single shot and composition for single shots (as far as I see it) whilst the WRS is more focussed on shift/stitch. So basically it makes sense for the WRS that the groudnglass shows the entire image circle. I thought about making 2 masks by myself but am not sure yet how to attach them (and thus which material to use).
Yes, I do like the mask but I also can see that it makes sense to work without mask for stitching.

For me its has been the first time to workwith a technical camera and groundglass and I was first a little dissapointed compared to a bright SLR viewfinder (even though people say the ArTec groundglass is quite bright). Do you also use a loupe when you work with groundglass?

thomas

For me its has been the first time to workwith a technical camera and groundglass and I was first a little dissapointed compared to a bright SLR viewfinder (even though people say the ArTec groundglass is quite bright).
yes, I'd say the arTec screen & loupe is quite "bright". Now with my new Fresnel I wouldn't consider the difference that significant anymore but as far as I remember the arTecs screen is a bit better. Would have to compare it side by side.

Do you also use a loupe when you work with groundglass?
I did with the regular groundglass; I have yet to try if I really need it with the Fresnel screen anymore. In any case it helps a lot for critical focussing even on the Fresnel screen. I've just purchased a 6x loupe with aspherical glass and it is really bright.
Too, I sometimes use a laserdistometer and that works quite good as well. I use it for middle distances and when I think the subject is almost but not quite at infinity. I find these distances the hardest to focus as it is difficult to tell on the screen. With the 47XL distances at around 10-15 meters are the candidates here... tricky (at least for me). But I think I won't use the laser distometer anymore now that I have the Fresnel screen... depends... maybe if for some reason I have to work very quick the laser distometer might help here still.

I just have to ask.

I have a Flexadapter for my Sinar, and I find that the Zeiss and Rodenstock loupes I have are great for the center of the ground glass but just too big to get anywhere near the sides, top or bottom to check focus.

Obviously with the flexible focus shade and loupe you can move it around to see the sides, but the image looks awfully dark with falloff.

Even with a fresnel can you see the edges well enough to confirm focus for a tilt, or are you going to have to depend on Live View or a 'brighter' modified screen?

Mark

Don Libby

Mark - The flexible focus shade (for my WRS) while not the best thing out there is still a very useful tool for me as I'm not using it to focus. The primary purpose for me is to see the effects certain filters are having on the overall image. I also found that one has to be careful with the hood as it allows light in if stretched too much, that's way I often tie a bandanna around the edge where it meets the groundglass.

Don

thomas

I just have to ask.

I have a Flexadapter for my Sinar, and I find that the Zeiss and Rodenstock loupes I have are great for the center of the ground glass but just too big to get anywhere near the sides, top or bottom to check focus.

Obviously with the flexible focus shade and loupe you can move it around to see the sides, but the image looks awfully dark with falloff.

Even with a fresnel can you see the edges well enough to confirm focus for a tilt, or are you going to have to depend on Live View or a 'brighter' modified screen?

Mark
Hi Mark.

As fresnel screens due to their design only work with the lens at center position you may judge focus for tilt within a certain frame.
On the WRS the groundglass is 78 x 61mm. The focussing hood (originally made for the sliding back of Cambos Ultima) crops the frame to 66 x 58mm (that's a bit odd).
If you set large movements with the fresnel you still can see the composition if you look at the screen from a sidewise angle (even possible with the focussing hood as it is very flexible) but I don't think you really can judge about focus/DOF when looking at the screen from such a steep angle.
So with fresnel and focussing hood basically you can judge focus within the 66x58 frame.
Without focussing hood (but loupe) within 78x61mm. You can move the loupe everywhere on the groundglass as it is mounted flat (it's exposed from the body). Only on the right side there is a rim (to mount the focussing hood). You still can use the loupe here but that's not very handy.
Bottom-line: if you want to check focus at the edges with large movements the regular groundglass (at best modified) is probably better (but you have to move around the loupe on the screen). I'd assume it's the same with tilt - a regular groundglass is probably better here.
Well, or Live View or shooting tethered.

cyron123

Hi,
is there anybody who use the groundglass with the Cambo today? How could i use the groundglass screen and the fresnel screen together? Is there a possibility? Could somebody show some pictures? Thank you.
cyron

kdphotography

Cyron,

This is a really old thread---in fact so old, it has photos of stuff I don't even remember Don having with his Cambo. (He might still be hiding them from his wife Sandy too). :D

Take a look at this more recent thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/44288-cambo-groundglass-loupe.html

In short, yes, if you have the time/flexibility, the Cambo ground glass solution works. Cambo offers a rubber tuppermade-like (for lack of better term) cover that you can pop on to your MFDB to protect the sensor while you use the ground glass. This actually makes all the difference in the world out in the field if you want to use the ground glass.

You can see the "hood bundle" here but you also need to add the ground glass (also on the page) and make sure to ask for the tupperware cover too. https://captureintegration.com/store/product-category/cambo/

ken

Don Libby

What an old post! I now travel with the new and vastly improved GG & Loupe every time I take the WRS out. It's been a year since I bought it and still I joy using it. I'll have this kit with me next month in Carmel and invite anyone interested to give it a try. Hopefully Dave will have one with him as well.

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
i am tweaking my setup a bit; got a Maxwell GG and the Linhof tiny sq loupe, but been too gd busy to fiddle around with it!

Don Libby

Hi,
is there anybody who use the groundglass with the Cambo today? How could i use the groundglass screen and the fresnel screen together? Is there a possibility? Could somebody show some pictures? Thank you.
cyron
Did Kens post answer your question? The video I posted on using it is still in YouTube although it might not be the best with me going up and down all the time getting everything set up it should still give you a good general idea. I have in fact perfected the steps needed to switch back and forth since then.

Don