Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

Shelby Lewis

Re: ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

Quote Originally Posted by Rethmeier View Post
    The service that I'm getting from PhotoClam is spot on.
    At least they reply to my emails.
    Every time I emailed AS I never had a reply.
    I always feel uneasy about the photoclam situation until I hear the above over and over and over...

Is the AS "anniversary" pricing (read: photoclam discount, lol) still in effect?

jjlphoto

Found it:
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/a-visit-to-arca-swiss.html
    Arca-Swiss created in the middle 1950's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjlphoto View Post
    Arca-Swiss 85 years old? Come on now. Unless that's the year Martin Vogt was born, they're pulling something fishy here. Late 1940's or early 1950's is a bit more like it.
    Nothing fishy here !

http://tiny.cc/XP3kN

See also on the bottom of this page, References: "2" (though in German)
    That's the most accurate I've found online. Regards

Marc / ARCA-SWISS

jjlphoto

Quote Originally Posted by ARCA View Post
    Nothing fishy here !

http://tiny.cc/XP3kN

See also on the bottom of this page, References: "2" (though in German)
    That's the most accurate I've found online. Regards

Marc / ARCA-SWISS

I read that before. "Oschwald Brothers" machine shop was founded in 1926, but they did not make cameras way back then. The name ARCA and the first ARCA SWISS camera didn't come onto the scene until the middle 1950's. So in my mind, saying it began in 1926 is a bit of a stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Are your totally happy with your Photoclam Multiflex ? is the Arca Cube worth the extra price ?

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

My Cube just arrived, but I am currently out of town. I'm trying to get a handle on this clamp issue. For those of you who have gotten the Cube within the last few months, has this "problem" been resolved? Does anyone have any diagrams or ilustrations of how this is supposed to work? I have a H2 and RRS L plate. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What clamp issue?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I was not aware of that article. It will be helpful to have on hand. What I was referring to were the issues raised earlier in this thread about the clamp not opening all the way, etc. Some even suggested replacing it with a RRS clamp. Later replies seemed to indicate that there were some recent modifications that mitigated these problems. If there are no issues, so be it, terrific.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The clamp does open all the way but there is a little bit of a secret that isn't obvious. When you open the clamp partially, take your thumb on the little silver bar inside the clamp latch. If you push on that (not in but laterally) it will unlatch the clamp further and fully open it. This step isn't obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Thank you. I was not aware of that article. It will be helpful to have on hand. What I was referring to were the issues raised earlier in this thread about the clamp not opening all the way, etc.
    The AS Cube instructions are horrible. Maybe it's because I bought the anniversary edition Cube, and only received a B&W photocopy.... (really)

This part is not made clear at all. The AS Cube release is actually a two-part release lever system. The first release opens the jaws just enough to loosen or slide a plate inside. The second release is that part that is not made clear------But along the inside of the quick release lever, you will see a series of tiny ribs (silver). Run your thumb alongside, and the release will then open all the way, allowing easy/quick placement of a wider AS-compatible plate right into the jaws.

I think it is now more a matter of preference to me---a RRS lever or the AS Cube release lever. I've opted for the original AS lever as it works fine for me. (And yes, I did experience the springs and washers exploding onto my lap! Quite unsettling after spending all that $ and having had the Cube only ten minutes....)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    And yes, I did experience the springs and washers exploding onto my lap! Quite unsettling after spending all that $ and having had the Cube only ten minutes....
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quick question,
    WIth the C1 Cube, is it still nice to have a self leveling base underneath it or not required.
    Thinking about getting one and replacing my RRS BH-55 which sits on top of Gitzo self leveling base right now which is nice to have.

oh yeah, whats the deal with the Multiflex V3.0 for $1130.00 worth saving the money?
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Quick question,
    WIth the C1 Cube, is it still nice to have a self leveling base underneath it or not required.
    Thinking about getting one and replacing my RRS BH-55 which sits on top of Gitzo self leveling base right now which is nice to have.

oh yeah, whats the deal with the Multiflex V3.0 for $1130.00 worth saving the money?
    Steven
    The Cube is all you need.

If you have a secondary tripod system, then it's great to use the leveling plate and other ballheads on that system.

Lots of discussion here and elsewhere on the Cube and the Multiflex, intellectual property, patents, and such. No one's ever sat down and really physically compared the two as far as I know....

I opted for the Arca Swiss Cube "Anniversary edition"----as many people here that have bought Cubes, maybe Jack and Guy should ask AS to issue a special GetDPI edition....
    ken

Post Thanks / Like

The AS Cube instructions are horrible. Maybe it's because I bought the anniversary edition Cube, and only received a B&W photocopy.... (really)
    I had the same problem with the cube I just bought. Truth was, after I actually read the instructions it was pretty clear - sort of.

Haven't had a chance to use it in the field but it seems engineered quite well.

I do wish the pano rotation was geared but it would probably not be worth the extra size.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up: I received my Cube last night. It took some figuring out, but once I understood how the quick release clamp worked, it was no problem whatsoever. See absolutely no need to replace it with a RRS clamp. Thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I did think of two more questions. I noticed that the gear tracks have some lubrication. Have any of you needed to add lubricant over time?. If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination? Thank you.

tetsrfun

If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination?
    Gitzo GT3541LS, GT3541XLS, or GT5541LS.....If you don't want or need the max height of the XLS and can wait 6 weeks for delivery then the RRS TVC-33 "Versa".

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination?
    Gitzo GT3541LS, GT3541XLS, or GT5541LS.....If you don't want or need the max height of the XLS and can wait 6 weeks for delivery then the RRS TVC-33 "Versa".

Steve
    And don't forget the safety plate for the 3 and 5 series Gitzos. Well worth the investment to secure the head. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Gitzo.html

(note: Above link for the 5 series safety plate; the 3 series needs a different plate size)

RRS tripod is worth looking at---about two pounds lighter than the 5541LS yet closer in spec to the 5 series Gitzo than the 3 series Gitzo....

Post Thanks / Like

I did think of two more questions. I noticed that the gear tracks have some lubrication. Have any of you needed to add lubricant over time?. If yes, what would you recommend?
    Talk to Jack Flesher or Don Libby. Its my understanding that Don sleeps with his Cube, and Jack showers with his....

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Jack showers with his...." Which requires use of a (water resistant) marine lubricant.

tetsrfun

RRS tripod is worth looking at---about two pounds lighter than the 5541LS yet closer in spec to the 5 series Gitzo than the 3 series Gitzo....
    People complain of "sticker shock" when looking at the RRC TVC-33 but it is ~$60USD less expensive than a Gitzo 5541LS + safety plate.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

People complain of "sticker shock" when looking at the RRC TVC-33 but it is ~$60USD less expensive than a Gitzo 5541LS + safety plate.

Steve
    And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS....

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I am the only person left on this workshop that has NOT been assimilated . Joe Ramos is looking but I am not kidding i have seen more cubes this week to think the world is cubed. What happened to the ball
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

tetsrfun

And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS..
    I am not sure that the RRS is a great one for back-packing either. It is a large tripod...the upper tubes are ~40mm in dia and with the offset legs, the upper part is ~13cm in dia. For it's size, however, it is disconcertingly "light"....

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS..
    I am not sure that the RRS is a great one for back-packing either. It is a large tripod...
    True....but given not much choice for stability.....and even a short trek of a few miles, middle-age sets in, and two pounds ---well, you get the idea....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I am the only person left on this workshop that has NOT been assimilated . Joe Ramos is looking but I am not kidding i have seen more cubes this week to think the world is cubed. What happened to the ball
    Perfect timing, Guy. You can finally get the Cube----starting with the GetDPI Special Edition Cube: The AS GetCubed. Same as the Annivervsary Edition Cube, but it comes with better instructions on how to use the clamp lever release (photocopy); Black corrugated cardboard box signed by Jack and Guy; GetCubed care and cleaning instructions, and a tube of marine lubricant...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm close though have a Arca P1 so I'm halfway there. Actually I like this head it is rock solid in the wind.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm fighting the temptation to buy the cube. I do like the P0 I bought. For the size and weight it is really solid. Thanks Guy for showing me your P1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect timing, Guy. You can finally get the Cube----starting with the GetDPI Special Edition Cube: The AS GetCubed. Same as the Annivervsary Edition Cube, but it comes with better instructions on how to use the clamp lever release (photocopy); Black corrugated cardboard box signed by Jack and Guy; GetCubed care and cleaning instructions, and a tube of marine lubricant...

ken
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions on tripods. Thank you. But, seriously, what do you recommend as a lubricant?

Post Thanks / Like

ken
    Too funny!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions on tripods. Thank you. But, seriously, what do you recommend as a lubricant?
    I haven't had the need to use any additional lubricant on my Cube---- but I'd consult with one of the Cube-masters on this, Jack Flesher:

"PPS on sand: The Cube is a very "open" design, meaning you can easily get to the inner guts without disassembly to clean it. Moreover, I lube mine with paraffin candle wax which isn't sticky. Bottom line, drop it in the sand and for the most part, you can blow it clean with your mouth. Wet sand will need canned air, and any salt water, I'd rinse it under the shower with HOT fresh water and then blow it dry, finally re-lubing with a candle." (Jack)

Sweet seranades or lullabyes optional.....

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had my Cube for slightly over a year now and after shooting it in all types of conditions (dropped on a sandy beach, snow, rain and sleet, and blowing desert sand) I can truthful say it hasnt caused be a second worth of problems or concern. The open design is perfect for a rocket blower to get in and clean out if needed and I have yet to give it any lube or even thought it might need it.

While weve had long walks both sunrise and sunset through beautiful scenery Ive also never felt the need for it to join me in the shower

It hasnt been coddled nor is it placed in a special leather cover (ask Ken about his). Its a great tool and one well worth the money spent; strong, durable, and silent.

More idle thoughts - Not certain about the Cube however Id recommend any of the following as good lubricants, Alaskan Amber, Jack Daniels (1904 Gold Medal Series), most German white wines and that goes double for any Australian wine.

Guy - I see a Cube in your future, get ready for it buddy!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm starting a new thread the non Cube thinkers club. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]While we’ve had long walks both sunrise and sunset through beautiful scenery I’ve also never felt the need for it to join me in the shower ....
    I wonder why Jack has been mysteriously silent.....

Seriously, using a rocket blower or a can or compressed air is probably all you'll need---I wouldn't "blow it clean with your mouth"----

But if my Cube needed more, *ahem*, attention, maintenance or lubrication, I really would consult Jack about the parafin candle or similar dry lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack is still in Palm Springs shooting he stayed a extra 2 days after the workshop I went in 2 days before the workshop.

Right now he is probably just finishing up a sunrise shot is my bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I like Don's "lubricants" the best. However, such a fine instrument deserves a single malt scotch.

BTW, I ordered the RRS Versa tripod. Expensive, but if it is like all their other "stuff," it should be a great marriage.

Once again, you guys are great (and very funny)! Thank you.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I like Don's "lubricants" the best. However, such a fine instrument deserves a single malt scotch.

BTW, I ordered the RRS Versa tripod. Expensive, but if it is like all their other "stuff," it should be a great marriage.

Once again, you guys are great (and very funny)! Thank you.

Martin
    Martin,

There really isn't much "hands-on" experience with the RRS tripod---as it is a very new offering. It'd be great if someone with a RRS tripod could do a review on their personal experiences over in the Gear forum... (*hint*)

Maybe matching up with the Cube, a little candlelight...and see what magic happens.....

tetsrfun

There really isn't much "hands-on" experience with the RRS tripod---as it is a very new offering. It'd be great if someone with a RRS tripod could do a review on their personal experiences over in the Gear forum... (*hint*)
    I have had a TVC-33 for about 6 weeks but haven't had a chance to really abuse it yet. It it typical of what one would expect from RRS, ie. metal parts machined from
    Aluminum billets rather than cast Magnesium and a well thought out design. The top plate fixation system is a nice design that combines maximum security with ease of removal. At full leg extension, the large diameter tubes and offset legs give a very rigid platform. I am still surprised at the disparity of size vs. weight.

I can give a more complete "review" but not sure what people would find useful.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you compare it to what you have previously owned, in the field?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I came across this demo video from Robert White, in the U.K.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU0ov...eature=channel

It even has a demonstration of the funky clamp.
    Carsten - Website

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Can you compare it to what you have previously owned, in the field?
    The RRS??? If so, I haven't owned a comparable tripod, which would be a Gitzo 3541xxx and/or 5541xx. Compared to my other carbon fiber legs, Manfrotto, Giotto the RRS is not even in the same league. Much better build quality, the legs, lock and unlock with about 1/8 turn, leg function is very smooth..etc...etc.

Compared to similar Gitzo, by report and by inspection:
    1)equal or better quality
    2)about 3451 weight and 5541 load factor
    3)top plate fixation system
    4)appearance, I prefer the anodized black aluminum to the grey-silver finish

potential negatives:
    1)New product...no long term history
    2)Direct sales, no dealer network for service needs
    3)58" max height
    4)back-ordered, about a 6 week wait for delivery
    5)major accessories not yet available ie, leveling plate, column, etc.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Just as an FYI:

Warranty: Gitzo = Lifetime; RRS = 5 Years. I couldn't find it on the site, so called and asked. Maybe not a factor, but offered to contribute to the lists.

RRS also stated that the current wait time is 6 to 8 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

i've just received my Gitzo GT3541LS to replace my bellowed 1329... i can't be more happy... (6X + ALR + G-lock), i had 5 gitzo, they have a good support, and parts catalogue...

i've ad my geared column to it, and Arca B2 head... while smaller than my old 1329, it looks as rigid !

i've tried the cube, and loved it... but can't justify to buy it, my B2 is really good as well... and sometimes quicker !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Just as an FYI:

Warranty: Gitzo = Lifetime; RRS = 5 Years. I couldn't find it on the site, so called and asked. Maybe not a factor, but offered to contribute to the lists.

RRS also stated that the current wait time is 6 to 8 weeks.
    Define Gitzo's "lifetime", I have a TeleStudex bought with the life time warranty many years ago that, apparently, was warranted for the lifetime of the then importer. Should the situation change again, I'd be asking if Gitzo will honor the "lifetime" warranty, or screw everyone like they did the last time around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no "definition" for you, sorry. I'm not affiliated with Gitzo, nor a vender, etc. I believe that RRS would honor certain fixes if a bit beyond the five years as well, as they're a fine company and nice folks.

As for Gitzo: I can say that they have done right be me (and other friends) on gear beyond five years old. It may be that Gitzo would honor your warranty need, but require the unfortunate step of sending to them directly. I agree that they should make it right by working with their current importer. It doesn't cost them much to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Review of the Cube compaired with the Multiflex from PhotoClam on
    Luminous Landscapes:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...agic-box.shtml

Make up your own mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rethmeier View Post
    Review of the Cube compaired with the Multiflex from PhotoClam
    It's a very interesting review, thank you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How to make the cube look inexpensive....

Compare it to this at $5000:

http://gizmodo.com/5528001/acadalus-...ng-tripod-head

Of course shown with an S2
    Last edited by Terry; 30th April 2010 at 05:45.